Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 01:18 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,975,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
East Windsor is mostly white but not quite as white as some other towns about 80%.

Windsor is kind of odd but not that odd. The demographics that changed the Wilson section in the 70's and 80's had an interesting effect. Lots of families that grew up in the area seemed to have created a connection to the town and you have more non white people buying houses in the former umm well no PC way to say this whiter sections of town as their incomes have grown. I can tell you back in the 90's you could see this shift happening. Several of the black families I knew in the Wilson area bought houses in the Kennedy road and Poquonock sections of town when they could afford too.
That's really interesting. I moved out of town in 1986 but my parents still live there. Because of how they drew the school district lines, Sage Park was much closer to us but we had to go to LP Wilson. Sage Park was more known for drug problems but LP Wilson had a lot more minorities. I have not kept in touch with anyone from school so I have no idea where people ended up.

There was very much a demographic line when I was growing up. This said despite spending a wonderful few years taking swimming lessons at Goslee - loved that huge pool! We went to the high school when they built that outdoor pool simply because it was so much closer to home and once older, we could just ride our bikes there for swim sessions.

Not being in town on a daily basis anymore, I'm really surprised at the shift (but see it as a positive thing!). When I ride my bike through there I come over the Bissell Bridge which kind of dumps you out in a still run-down section of Wilson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 01:29 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,297 times
To go the opposite way for a second -

Bethlehem was 97.9% white as of the 2010 census!

I recall it being the least diverse in the state at one point, maybe still is.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:08 PM

538 posts, read 331,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
East Windsor is mostly white but not quite as white as some other towns about 80%.

Windsor is kind of odd but not that odd. The demographics that changed the Wilson section in the 70's and 80's had an interesting effect. Lots of families that grew up in the area seemed to have created a connection to the town and you have more non white people buying houses in the former umm well no PC way to say this whiter sections of town as their incomes have grown. I can tell you back in the 90's you could see this shift happening. Several of the black families I knew in the Wilson area bought houses in the Kennedy road and Poquonock sections of town when they could afford too.
I definitely see this thinking back. I grew up in Windsor in the Kennedy/Poq area and while the schools were very diverse some of the neighborhoods were not as diverse. However, when my parents sold their house to downsize the demographics of the neighborhood were definitely more diverse than they were in the 90's.

But this is probably normal for a lot of suburbs of cities (you see the same thing somewhere like Hamden). Windsor definitely had an internal income gap from the northern sections of the town compared to the areas that bordered Hartford. But over time the families living in the areas closer to Hartford move up to the areas farther away as their income increases.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:15 PM

830 posts, read 1,093,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Greenwich. Most diverse.Ever.
Greenwich, although fairly diverse on a town level, probably has one of the biggest wealth gaps between residents of any town in the state. You literally have children of hedge fund billionaires attending the same public school district as the children of their housekeepers living in Byram. The elementary schools reflect these socioeconomic gaps, but they all end up at the same high school.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:33 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchem View Post
Windsor definitely had an internal income gap from the northern sections of the town compared to the areas that bordered Hartford. But over time the families living in the areas closer to Hartford move up to the areas farther away as their income increases.
But who then moved into the Wilson homes vacated by those whose income increased and moved "up"?

Old 06-19-2018, 06:55 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Old thread, but it does hammer home the racial geographic segregation in CT. It’s hard to find these types of towns.

I do appreciate being in a town with a lot of economic diversity, though.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:01 AM

538 posts, read 331,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
But who then moved into the Wilson homes vacated by those whose income increased and moved "up"?

I'm not saying everyone does this. I know parents of my school friends who still live in that area in their original home, but also make more money than they used with now a paid off house.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:54 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Honestly I'm not sure. As odd is it sounds I know some (again no good way to describe this) PWT that bought houses in the Wilson area over the past 15 years purely based on the low house prices. I know parts of Wilson seem better then 20 years ago but spots around Deerfield apartments and right near the Hartford border still have issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut