Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 10:26 PM

69 posts, read 221,163 times

Advertisements

First of all, thanks to everyone who responded to our first thread about moving from AZ to CT. The replies were fantastic, we love this place!

We're considering Simsbury and Tolland, and we'd like to know what you all think of those 2 places! My wife grew up in Simsbury but she's been gone from there for 15+ years now, so things have certainly changed. We understand the differences as far as location relative to Hartford, which side of the river they're on, accessibility to shopping, etc. We believe we'd be very happy with the schools in either place. It also looks like avg income is about the same, as is crime with Simsbury having a higher property crime rate (not a big deal to us). We're also aware that housing in Tolland is cheaper than Simsbury, but we've done plenty of research on homes & I'm certain we could find an acceptable home in either place within our budget. I guess what I'm trying to say is that we know all the statistical & financial information about each of these cities.

What we'd like to know about is the "intangibles" of each of these cities, such as:
  • Which one do you believe has nicer people, and, generally speaking, what are the people like in each of these places?
  • Would it be easier to make friends in one or the other?
  • Which one has a more "New Englandy" feel?
  • Is one more rural feeling than the other?
  • Which one would be best for kids to grow up in? (we have a 2yr old and a 2mo old)
  • In which one would kids feel less pressured to "keep up with the Joneses?"
  • Which one is more fun?
  • Which one has more kids outside playing?
  • Could one be classified as more "cultured" than the other?
  • If you've ever had kids, and could live in one or the other with your kids, and money was no object, which would you pick and why?
  • Is there anything about either place that would keep you from ever living there?
I know that the answer to some of these could be "They're both great for that!" or "Neither is great for that!" but we're wondering which one has an edge over the other.

What say you, city-data.com? We can't wait for your replies!

Last edited by AZParents; 06-19-2007 at 10:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 04:00 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,018,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZParents View Post
First of all, thanks to everyone who responded to our first thread about moving from AZ to CT. The replies were fantastic, we love this place!

We're considering Simsbury and Tolland, and we'd like to know what you all think of those 2 places! My wife grew up in Simsbury but she's been gone from there for 15+ years now, so things have certainly changed. We understand the differences as far as location relative to Hartford, which side of the river they're on, accessibility to shopping, etc. We believe we'd be very happy with the schools in either place. It also looks like avg income is about the same, as is crime with Simsbury having a higher property crime rate (not a big deal to us). We're also aware that housing in Tolland is cheaper than Simsbury, but we've done plenty of research on homes & I'm certain we could find an acceptable home in either place within our budget. I guess what I'm trying to say is that we know all the statistical & financial information about each of these cities.

What we'd like to know about is the "intangibles" of each of these cities, such as:
  • Which one do you believe has nicer people, and, generally speaking, what are the people like in each of these places?
  • Would it be easier to make friends in one or the other?
  • Which one has a more "New Englandy" feel?
  • Is one more rural feeling than the other?
  • Which one would be best for kids to grow up in? (we have a 2yr old and a 2mo old)
  • In which one would kids feel less pressured to "keep up with the Joneses?"
  • Which one is more fun?
  • Which one has more kids outside playing?
  • Could one be classified as more "cultured" than the other?
  • If you've ever had kids, and could live in one or the other with your kids, and money was no object, which would you pick and why?
  • Is there anything about either place that would keep you from ever living there?
I know that the answer to some of these could be "They're both great for that!" or "Neither is great for that!" but we're wondering which one has an edge over the other.

What say you, city-data.com? We can't wait for your replies!
The Farmington Valley has more upscale towns then Tolland county.
Avon, Farmington, Canton etc are 'corporate transfer havens' that have grown rapidly in many years.

Tolland county is growing as well; but has no sprawl when compared to the Farmington Valley, and has for the most part retained its rural New England charm. There is not a fraction of the retail sprawl in Tolland County that has occurred in the Farmington Valley in the last 20 years.

The Farmington Valley can be said to be more 'sophisticated' then Tolland county, with folks over here more down to earth and lacking pretension.
No need to keep with the Joneses with the BMW or Escalade.

Shopping in Tolland county is restricted to supermarkets and small chains like CVS etc- however the drive into Manchester and South Windsor is a half hour or so for everything under the sun.

Life in Tolland county is more sedate and less pressured. With a short drive to the history of eastern CT, art galleries, Bed and Breakfasts, wineries and the beaches of south eastern CT and RI.

Tolland county has retained a true New England feel; while the Farmington has a more 'contrived' commercial appearance designed to be what New England is supposed to 'look like' in many areas of the valley.

Economically; housing is less cheaper in Tolland county- you get much more bang for your buck.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:51 PM

17 posts, read 63,826 times
i agree with the last post southbury is a fantastic town though may i also suggest its neighbor woodbury if you like new england woodbury is its best

Old 06-20-2007, 06:22 PM

420 posts, read 2,199,182 times
I was born in Avon, which at the time was very rural and barely an up-and-comer. When I was 8, we moved to Tolland, where I lived until I was 18, at which point I moved to Darien. I'm now moving to Tuxedo Park, NY. I'm like Johnny Cash in I've Been Everywhere Man. Here's what I can offer.

Avon is right next to Simsbury and so I generally group the two together almost. Avon has gotten relatively pricy, while Simsbury's increase has been slighter. I would actually say that some of the new homes in Tolland and South Windsor are very comparible in price to the new homes in Simsbury. Based on your intangibles criteria, I would wholeheartedly suggest Simsbury.

As for the friendliness of people, you get a mixed bag both ways, but that can be said about any town in the US. I would say having younger children, you would be more apt to find couples with similar interests in Simsbury. Tolland natives can tend to be a bit edgy when it comes to "new neighbors". Tolland definitely retains it's mindset of being somewhat of a well kept secret in Connecticut.
Like I mentioned earlier, I feel that you would find more couples with similar interests in Simsbury. A lot of times, in Tolland and even more so in Ellington, people can get a bit stir crazy and middle adged adults can turn into gossiping high schoolers.
Simsbury, with out a doubt feels more like New England to me. Tolland feels more like a colder version of a upscale Southern boondock. Not really sure if that makes a whole lot of sense, but it's the best I can describe it. There is a lake, but not a whole lot of boating goes on, and boating is something I feel is necessary for the New England vibe.
Simsbury schools are great through and through. On the flip-side, Tolland schools are also great. I know Tolland just got a new high school recently so you may be looking at some taxes there that really won't benefit you all that much having younger children and all. I would give this round to Simsbury as well. Keeping up with the Jonses is something that really isn't specific to the town as much as it is to particular neighborhoods. From what I've experienced, if you live in a cul-de-sac, there will always be some sort of underlying friendly competition between neighbors. On this topic, I would say you would find less competition in Tolland, only because in Tolland, a jacked up 2002 Ford F-150 is just as cool if not cooler than a new Porsche.
Hmmm...fun is in the eye of the beholder. I'll make this short so I don't end up writing a five-page essay. I'd go with Tolland if your idea of fun is hanging out by the lake, casting out a line, listening to some country music. Simsbury definately has better access to shopping and dining though.
Kids playing outside...umm, alright this is a tough one. I think society as a whole has moved kids from outside to in front of the TV. But, if you're looking for kids playing outside, I would go with Simsbury, just becuase it has more cul-de-sac type areas which generally have safer traffic, as opposed to Tolland, which while in parts is suburban, for the most part is back roads with lightly enforced speed limits.
Without sounding brash, I will tell you that Simsbury is undoubtably more cultured than Tolland, any day of the year.
If money were no option, and I were to chose between the two, I would chose Simsbury. The schools are slightly better, theres more culture and diversity, and there's quick access to amenities that Tolland simply doesn't have. For instance, I'm moving my family, wife and son, out of Darien right now becuase there is a real lack of diversity. Well, that and the 2 hour commute to Goldman everyday is killing me. I wanted more privacy and a better area for my children to grow up. If that is your objective and it sounds like you really want the best for your children, I would say you would like Simsbury more.
Both are great towns. I "lived" in both of them(actually not Simsbury, but next door in Avon) and have to say they are both great places to live. Downsides on either side are not large enough to say that I would not want to live there. In Simsbury, I know as the children grow up and get to the high school level, social life can become somewhat cliquey(sp?). However, you may find that to be more desireble than going to a high school with absolutely no diversity. I kid you not, 168 in my graduating class. 164 white-caucasian. I remember the day I met my first Jewish friend. I was 17. Anyways, to conclude, if I were in your shoes, and funds permitted, I would select Simsbury.

Wait for other responses too. My views are only those of one 25 year old Wall Streeter who grew up in the areas more than 7 years ago. Hope ya keep us updated on your decisions.

Matthew

Oh, and PS, never live in Darien, I hated it. And my wife hated it. And my son can't formulate coherant sentances, but I'm sure if he could, he would say that he hated it.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:41 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,018,408 times
I have to disagree Wallstreet that housing prices are the same between Tolland county and Avon/Simsbury- they are not- Tolland county has a median home price of about 250K- Avon/Simsbury is nearly 100K more.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
I have to disagree Wallstreet that housing prices are the same between Tolland county and Avon/Simsbury- they are not- Tolland county has a median home price of about 250K- Avon/Simsbury is nearly 100K more.
No, I do agree that housing prices for Simsbury are much higher, howerver the new developments seem to be generally the same. I know of a few subdivisions in Tolland recently selling 4br/2.5ba homes in the high 600s, and a few in SW for close to 800, which I would consider to be congruous with Simsbury prices. However, you are definately correct that the median home prices of Simsbury are much higher.

Edit:: For details, the Tolland subdivision in the 600s is Carrige Crossing, and the SW I believe is called Vintage Hills.

Last edited by WallStreetWarrior; 06-21-2007 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: adding information

Old 06-21-2007, 03:25 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
The Farmington Valley has more upscale towns then Tolland county.
Avon, Farmington, Canton etc are 'corporate transfer havens' that have grown rapidly in many years.

Tolland county is growing as well; but has no sprawl when compared to the Farmington Valley, and has for the most part retained its rural New England charm. There is not a fraction of the retail sprawl in Tolland County that has occurred in the Farmington Valley in the last 20 years.

The Farmington Valley can be said to be more 'sophisticated' then Tolland county, with folks over here more down to earth and lacking pretension.
No need to keep with the Joneses with the BMW or Escalade.

Shopping in Tolland county is restricted to supermarkets and small chains like CVS etc- however the drive into Manchester and South Windsor is a half hour or so for everything under the sun.

Life in Tolland county is more sedate and less pressured. With a short drive to the history of eastern CT, art galleries, Bed and Breakfasts, wineries and the beaches of south eastern CT and RI.

Tolland county has retained a true New England feel; while the Farmington has a more 'contrived' commercial appearance designed to be what New England is supposed to 'look like' in many areas of the valley.

Economically; housing is less cheaper in Tolland county- you get much more bang for your buck.
I was going to reply but Sky said it all.

I get to go to Canton most every day from Manchester so it's an A-B comparison for me all the time! LOL

Old 06-22-2007, 09:57 AM

92 posts, read 455,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetWarrior View Post
No, I do agree that housing prices for Simsbury are much higher, howerver the new developments seem to be generally the same. I know of a few subdivisions in Tolland recently selling 4br/2.5ba homes in the high 600s, and a few in SW for close to 800, which I would consider to be congruous with Simsbury prices. However, you are definately correct that the median home prices of Simsbury are much higher.

Edit:: For details, the Tolland subdivision in the 600s is Carrige Crossing, and the SW I believe is called Vintage Hills.

Ellington's $600+ homes!

Old 06-22-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLYS View Post
Ellington's $600+ homes!
Ellington as well. I believe they've almost filled up Ellington Estates on Mountain Road, which were all around 600s to start. The builder is Toll Brothers though and they have a history of giving you the bare bones of luxury homes for the start price. Also, I believe all the homes on Pease Farm Road are completed as well, which to my knowledge are in the 600s. There is a 6br/4.5 bath at the very top which was listed at 1.1m for a while as well.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:49 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Where are planning on working? Simsbury and Tolland are on opposite ends of greater Hartford and commuting from either could be difficult. To answer the questions you have asked, I would say the following:
[*]Which one do you believe has nicer people, and, generally speaking, what are the people like in each of these places?

A toss up. But I do know people in Simsbury and they have a lot of very nice neighbors and made a lot of friend over the years

[*]Would it be easier to make friends in one or the other?

Toss up again

[*]Which one has a more "New Englandy" feel?

True New England, probably Tolland. But Simsbury is beautiful too and a little more upscale.

[*]Is one more rural feeling than the other?

Probably Tolland, but Simsbury is pretty rural to. I think it has a nice balance.

[*]Which one would be best for kids to grow up in? (we have a 2yr old and a 2mo old)

Simsbury. The schools arte among the best in the State and there are a ton of family activities including free concerts in the summer and all types of sports for kids.

[*]In which one would kids feel less pressured to "keep up with the Joneses?"

Tolland. Simsbury is one of the areas most desirable upscale suburbs. along with that comes all the trappings of keeping up with the Jones. Tolland is just a small town that is being discovered as a reasonable place to buy a newer home.
[*]Which one is more fun?

Simsbury. Seems to me there is more to do there.

[*]Which one has more kids outside playing?

Toss up

[*]Could one be classified as more "cultured" than the other?

Definitely Simsbury. Tolland really does not strike me as a cultured town.

[*]If you've ever had kids, and could live in one or the other with your kids, and money was no object, which would you pick and why?

Definitely Simsbury. There is so much to offer there for kids including schools that are among the best in the State. Would not hesitate to live there if my commute wasn't so far.

[*]Is there anything about either place that would keep you from ever living there?

If you work in or north or west of Hartford, I would choose Simsbury. If I worked east of Hartford, I would choose Tolland (though I think there are a lot of other nicer towns I would choose first). If I worked south of Hartford, I wouldn't live in either.

I hope this helps, good luck, Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut