Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 04:53 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
x2. Failing to see the point...

That said, I do agree the Hartford area has a very different feel from FFC. Is it immense and drastic? No - but it's there.
Sometimes it feels VERY different, sometimes it feels very subtle. Sometimes when I go up there, if I haven't been there in months, it feels like I'm driving out to Ohio or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 05:38 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
They are Republicans, drive an SUV, Camaro, etc.
A Camaro? Do they own shirts with sleeves?

I drive an SUV. Can I be rich too?

Old 06-30-2014, 05:58 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,229,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I don't disagree, but that being said, while you may think they're night and day, someone from outside the area would visit both places and think - what the hell is so different?

My point is they are not as different as you think. You live in a town that could be comparable to Monroe or Newtown in FFC. These towns are very laid back and relaxed. IIRC, you lived on the shoreline in FFC, right? You'd probably feel just as relaxed if you moved a few miles inland. Little traffic, relaxed towns, and woodsy.

My point is that so many people think the 95/Merritt corridor = Fairfield County. People tend to forget the Candlewood/Zoar lake areas, towns like Sherman, etc. Reality is that half of Fairfield County is no rat race at all. The same can be said for Hartford county and it's core suburbs. Rat race. And New Haven and it's core suburbs. Rat race.
Very true. I live in New Fairfield and I certainly agree that the demographics, lifestyle, and cost of living in Northern Fairfield county are far more in line with the Hartford suburbs than they are lower fairfield county. The one difference... By fairfield county standards my family is middle class; in the Hartford area we would be rich Lol

Old 06-30-2014, 06:41 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
x2. Failing to see the point...

That said, I do agree the Hartford area has a very different feel from FFC. Is it immense and drastic? No - but it's there.
and, having lived in Hartford County for a long time, and having been in New London County for two years, it's definitely a different vibe down here as well. Quieter & more laid back in NLC compared to Hartford County.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:15 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
My parents live in Granby and are multi-millionaires and make at least $200K a year, after deductions. They are Republicans, drive an SUV, Camaro, etc. My point here is that they COULD choose to live in FFC, but they're not. They think it's a total rip off. You could get much better land and house for your money in Hartford County.
FFC is also quite republican

The state runs Democrat because of Bridgeport, Hartford inner city, Norwich, Danbury, Connecticut

Irish and roman catholic traditional working democrats are the unique New England non-minority Democrats

All the corners of CT an edge more Democrats than Republicans, making the state look blue in every directions except Litchfield

Old 06-30-2014, 07:46 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
FFC is also quite republican

The state runs Democrat because of Bridgeport, Hartford inner city, Norwich, Danbury, Connecticut

Irish and roman catholic traditional working democrats are the unique New England non-minority Democrats

All the corners of CT an edge more Democrats than Republicans, making the state look blue in every directions except Litchfield
FFC went for Obama by 10 points in 2012. Litchfield Cty was the only one where Romney won (51-47)

Most of the suburbs around the state are moderately Republican, though not necessarily at the presidential level. The state is Democratic because of Hartford, New Haven, Waterbury and Bridgeport, as well as West Hartford, East Hartford, Bloomfield, Windsor in HC, East & West Haven in NHC, Norwich, New London and a few other more urban areas vote heavily Democratic. Except for maybe New Canaan & Darien, no town with a significant population is as heavily Republican as the cities are heavily Democratic.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:00 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek View Post
SLC is one of top 10 least stressed out cities in US | FOX13Now.com

Least stressed out cities in the U.S.

Hartford came in 7th place.

Full List:
1. Salt Lake City
2. Rochester
3. Raleigh
4. Minneapolis
5. Richmond
6. Buffalo
7. Hartford
8. Pittsburgh
9. San Jose
10. Sacramento
These lists are worthless unless they are compilations of specific quantitative data like unemplyment % or median income.

One person's opinion of stress is useless

Old 07-02-2014, 10:29 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,641,946 times
I lived in Hartford and New Haven, although longer in Hartford (6 years) from 2002-2008. I have to say I like it and would move back. I'm not sure which it is, between the lower crime rate (I'm from Washington DC), the abundance of insurance jobs, less traffic, easier commuting and very walkable neighborhoods, and the whether and affordable cost of living to income ratio, it's very pleasant. All of the Connecticut cities have a similar vibe to them, but Hartford has more of a small town feel to it considering it is a working city.

I've also been to Richmond dozens of times, and could vouch for its relaxing, spacious and quiet country feel, even though it's a large city. It also has a very affordable cost of living and less traffic congestion.

I'm from Washington, DC, so maybe that skews my perception of these places, and what constitutes as least stressful, especially considering my city is high for light pollution, traffic congestion, violent crime, most expensive place to live in the US, stressful jobs, oppressive weather, unwalkable in most areas and high poverty and unemployment - all of which make a stressful environment. So, on that basis, I agree with the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut