Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 02:12 AM

678 posts, read 847,395 times

Advertisements

OH MY LORD! YES! Thank you! Finally something this board agrees on wholeheartedly, lol! Connecticut radio was so good in the 2000s. 104.1 has gone through a couple changes, but, they did come back strong with their revival and before they changed temporarily. But, the biggest heartbreak was 106.9. Honestly, rock music is slowly dying, and 106.9 was a great indicator that only thing keeping rock alive are the classic rock folks. Which I don't mind, but, we already have like 2/3 other stations for classic rock. We didn't need another one. It's over-saturated at this point. The infamous 106.1 KROQ in Los Angeles doesn't even play the music I remember in the early days of my life. It's so sad to think radio is dying. Nothing was more fun than radio hopping favorite stations till a good song came on. I can go through 15 presets and not find a single good song playing. x_x
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 03:47 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,037,907 times
99.1 will occasionally play a modern hard rock song but its rare and then they follow it up with the least rockish song they can find. Dont bother if you're going to do that. I thought if getting XM radio but price isn't worth it.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:20 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
While I listened to it the summer I was up in Hartford, I don't know WDRC too well, but when I was a kid (say about 12 or 13) as a hobby I would love to see what distant radio stations I could get (from lower Westchester County, NY). While I could do well with AM (at least at night), FM was trickier, especially with all the NYC and suburban stations meaning for the most part there was a station within 50 miles every 0.4 on the FM dial. For some reason (even though it's right next to NYC's 102.7 on the dial), I was able to faintly get this station, the only one I could get that was truly "not in the NYC orbit" (I could usually get WPLR faintly, though a distant NJ station sometimes countered it.....and I could also get KC101 pretty decently at times even though it's right next to NYC's WCBS-FM on the FM dial).

From what I've read, they are basically just shifting their playlist about 10 years, while I could understand complaints from listeners on here, I don't get why they had to fire their staff to do that. It's not like they went from this format to something like country or rap or left music altogether (i.e. some ESPN radio stations now simulcast in FM or even sometimes are on FM instead of AM).

Old 07-08-2014, 06:30 AM

627 posts, read 1,058,697 times
Bummer.

One of my other radio presets randomly changed to a Christian rock format a couple of months ago. It was surprising, since it was suddenly unfamiliar songs. I changed the preset and can't figure out which station that was, anyone know?

Old 07-08-2014, 07:55 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,946,366 times
WCCC was a great station, good mix of old and new rock, but I think they really started hurting once Howard Stern went to Sirius. That was a big hole to fill (Stern's home station, WXRQ in NYC, went from rock to all talk after he left). Also, their signal wasn't the strongest.

I also remember when WHCN was a classic rock station (Get the Led Out every day at 6pm). WPLR has pretty much stayed the same (even the DJs), which is really surprising when you think about it. I pretty much listen to satellite radio now, and the only terrestrial station is still listen to on occasion is PLR.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:10 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,961,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
WCCC was a great station, good mix of old and new rock, but I think they really started hurting once Howard Stern went to Sirius. That was a big hole to fill (Stern's home station, WXRQ in NYC, went from rock to all talk after he left). Also, their signal wasn't the strongest.

I also remember when WHCN was a classic rock station (Get the Led Out every day at 6pm). WPLR has pretty much stayed the same (even the DJs), which is really surprising when you think about it. I pretty much listen to satellite radio now, and the only terrestrial station is still listen to on occasion is PLR.
agreed on WCCC and Stern. It was big when he came back onto WCCC and it was big when he went to Sirius. Never really liked him before that because of his "shock jock" reputation out of NYC, but I remember that first show when he came back to WCCC, I was laughing so hard I had tears streaming out of my eyes and I listened pretty regularly over the next several years.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:52 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
agreed on WCCC and Stern. It was big when he came back onto WCCC and it was big when he went to Sirius. Never really liked him before that because of his "shock jock" reputation out of NYC, but I remember that first show when he came back to WCCC, I was laughing so hard I had tears streaming out of my eyes and I listened pretty regularly over the next several years.
CCC is still okay, they just play too much Pop/Alternative Hip-hop ****.

PLR and NPR are the only other two stations I can stomach anymore.

It's still sad to see such a long-running station go.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:22 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,976,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
CCC is still okay, they just play too much Pop/Alternative Hip-hop ****.
When did you last listen to WCCC? For nearly a year now it has been exclusively classic rock. You won't hear anything from the past twenty years on it ever.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:50 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Why does it seem like all straight males only care about listening to classic rock? It's freekin' 2014 already. I know the vast majority of pop music sucks too, but come on now. Stop being stuck in the 70's, 80's and 90's. Sheesh.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:26 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Why does it seem like all straight males only care about listening to classic rock? It's freekin' 2014 already. I know the vast majority of pop music sucks too, but come on now. Stop being stuck in the 70's, 80's and 90's. Sheesh.
Well the reality is classic rock is a major draw. Look at your summer concert calendar... There's a reason you'll see bands like Boston, Styx, Foreigner, and Fleetwood Mac year after year... Hint: It's not because they don't fill concert venues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut