Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 02:05 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Snowtober and Sandy were both pretty mild in Wallingford---- that played a very significant part in keeping the power on. Wallingford had 4-6" in Snowtober versus 17" in Ridgefield. Wind gusts didn't top 60mph in Wallingford either (and tree cover is sparse--- very industrial/commercial.)
Tree cover is sparse in the industrial/commercial areas, but much of Wallingford is very leafy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 02:59 PM

83,526 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Time to really look at solar if you have CL&P and UI as your distributor. Dealing with constantly changing vendors to keep the lowest rate was such a pain when we lived in East Haven.

Or you could move to Wallingford or parts of North Branford/Northford and use Wallingford Electric;

$18 service charge
Summer
first 700kWh $.1074
over 700kWh $.1136

Winter
first 700kWh $.0944
over 700kWh $.0911

So while the rates may be similar or at least they were, the service charge has always been a flat fee without all the other nonsense on the bills from UI and CL&P. I do feel bad for the rest of the state and would seriously, seriously consider alternatives like solar and LED lighting.
A real estate agent mentioned that to me once. That Wallingford electric is cheap versus anywhere else in the state. I think he said because they use their own electricians in town as opposed to a monopolized company.

Which leads to my thought.. Why can't another company come in and provide competition for CLP? They can be called SCL&P. (screwCL&P)

Old 11-17-2014, 03:20 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,170,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Tree cover is sparse in the industrial/commercial areas, but much of Wallingford is very leafy.
Let's agree to disagree; aerial photos for the entire town to follow.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:27 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,936,527 times
If all of this happens with electric,I might have to sell and stay here,Florida Power & Light have been cutting rates.
I guess you could say nothing new for CT.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:54 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
You could always move to MA where our delightful National Grid Company has already raised the rates by 37% effective Nov. 1. Something to do with all the money they had to spend last winter when it was so cold. Well, I always thought that was the cost of doing business. But no, they can't just make some money, they have to make A LOT of money.

Back to the regularly scheduled program.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:18 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
A real estate agent mentioned that to me once. That Wallingford electric is cheap versus anywhere else in the state. I think he said because they use their own electricians in town as opposed to a monopolized company.

Which leads to my thought.. Why can't another company come in and provide competition for CLP? They can be called SCL&P. (screwCL&P)
They also send out a quarterly newsletter showing how much of a difference between WED and CL&P and UI. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Part of the reason they save money is they have a lot more control I think. For example, tree getting too tall and near power lines? Let's take them down on the whole street and replant them. Saves them from disasters during big storms. Also I dunno how grids are generally laid out, but any time I've lost power here it's been for only a second or two, and then it comes right back on. Irene, Sandy, big snow storms, doesn't matter. I've been very fortunate to be here for all those big storms in the past 5-6 years.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:46 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
I am so happy with the direction this state is heading in! I just voted to re-elect Malloy in hopes of tax increases starting in 2015. And now, electric distribution rates will be 15% higher. This means CT will be a more desirable place to live, due to supply and demand.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:56 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,170,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am so happy with the direction this state is heading in! I just voted to re-elect Malloy in hopes of tax increases starting in 2015. And now, electric distribution rates will be 15% higher. This means CT will be a more desirable place to live, due to supply and demand.
That house you so badly desire is now even harder to reach....... nice work (along with the other Malloy strongholds)

Old 11-17-2014, 04:58 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
That house you so badly desire is now even harder to reach....... nice work (along with the other Malloy strongholds)
It will be a good thing for CT though because the more money NU and UI make, the more they can pay their employees, which means increased consumer spending, which is good for businesses. It's like a stimulant!

It also means that businesses will be able to deduct MORE energy expenses on their tax returns, which means lower tax liabilities for them.

The rate increase is a step in the right direction.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:01 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
It will be a good thing for CT though because the more money NU and UI make, the more they can pay their employees, which means increased consumer spending, which is good for businesses. It's like a stimulant!
Oh, wow. I have no words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut