Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 03:16 PM

11 posts, read 131,737 times

Advertisements

We are, God willing, buying a home soon and we already know that it needs new windows. There are so many to choose from and I have to wonder if it's not so much the window itself, but the installation that's important. Anyway, we're looking for the classic Colonial grid, tilt-in windows, possibly wood rather than vinyl. Any brand recommendations - Anderson, Pella, Marvin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 08:21 AM

588 posts, read 1,872,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinCT View Post
We are, God willing, buying a home soon and we already know that it needs new windows. There are so many to choose from and I have to wonder if it's not so much the window itself, but the installation that's important. Anyway, we're looking for the classic Colonial grid, tilt-in windows, possibly wood rather than vinyl. Any brand recommendations - Anderson, Pella, Marvin?
I did this a few years ago - all 28 windows, plus a large picture window, in my colonial. Went with vinyl because we also did vinyl siding. I wouldn't mix and match vinyl windows with wood siding, or vice versa. We used Mercury Excelum (Replacement Windows and Exterior Building Products for CT,VT,MA,NH,RI) - they are a CT-based company and provide nice quality windows. They are also a lot less expensive than those other names. We used Bert Falsetti (About Us) to install both windows and siding. He and his crew were excellent.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:09 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
I had Jeldwen windows installed. They're a little cheaper than Marvin. They're the classic style -- raised grid rather than between the glass, and wood on the inside so the owner can choose the color. They're vinyl-clad on the outside.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:28 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
I did 5 years ago. All 21 plus a Picture window and exterior doors. I regret it because there's no draft now and house stays too warm!

WindowRama was the supplier. Contractor was the installer. Vinyl with grids on top half only. I think it was like $210 per window for a regular 45"x30".

Old 08-31-2012, 10:50 AM

680 posts, read 1,575,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post
I did this a few years ago - all 28 windows, plus a large picture window, in my colonial. Went with vinyl because we also did vinyl siding. I wouldn't mix and match vinyl windows with wood siding, or vice versa. We used Mercury Excelum (Replacement Windows and Exterior Building Products for CT,VT,MA,NH,RI) - they are a CT-based company and provide nice quality windows. They are also a lot less expensive than those other names. We used Bert Falsetti (About Us) to install both windows and siding. He and his crew were excellent.
Like Todd, we also used Bert Falsetti and Mercury Excelum products and will recommend him strongly.

After having researched windows for a month here is what I conclude:

Marvin, Pella and Anderson are expensive because they have a big marketing budget. Sure they make good windows, but its not worth the premium they are priced at.

As vinyl windows get popular and quality improves (good quality vinyl no longer fades anymore) the big companies has to innovate to retain their market share. So they innovate various fiber glass, wood resin materials to create market perception that they have better products but their performance will be similar, not better than vinyl. Fiber glass are stronger than vinyl but seriously there is no difference in actual performance unless you smash close your windows every single time for a extended period of time.

Our house has wood siding and white vinyl windows look just like fine + no more headaches staining or painting the windows. Unless your house is a true antique colonial, there is zero need to go for wood windows. In fact, my neighbour recently replaced ALL her wood windows with vinyl windows and its a million dollar house.

Aluminum Clad wood windows from Marvin sounds like you get the best of 2 worlds. You can view the real wood from inside and outside will be aluminum extrustion protecting the wood and never need staining. It costs 2.5x of comparable vinyl windows. Is it worth 2.5x the price to you so you can view the window wood grain inside the house? Sometimes it baffles me when someone buy Aluminum Clad wood windows and paint the wood inside white -> looks no different from my vinyl windows lol.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:58 PM

276 posts, read 588,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I did 5 years ago. All 21 plus a Picture window and exterior doors. I regret it because there's no draft now and house stays too warm!

WindowRama was the supplier. Contractor was the installer. Vinyl with grids on top half only. I think it was like $210 per window for a regular 45"x30".
Is the $210/window just the cost of the window itself or including installation?

Thanks.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:10 PM

16 posts, read 43,561 times
I had Harvey windows installed in my entire home back in 2008...They are great...saved me a lot of money in the winter... NO DRAFT AT ALL... I purchased and had my windows installed through JC Tonnotti ....They have a website ...Check it out because he is always running specials.....Regular price the window would of been around $210…but with the special he was running at that time and the additional work I gave him…..I believe I paid in the range of $160 to $180 depending on the window.

It's a family owned company....a husband and wife team (Joe and Faith)...Excellent workmanship and very professional...Their team of installers...arrived on time...stayed until all the windows were installed...cleaned up like they weren't even there... The lead installer showed me how to operate the window for cleaning purposes....and then inspect each one with me to ensure I was satisfied.

The owner Joe called me within a day or so ...To get feedback on his team, their work, and the windows...Then followed up again a month later….Great customer service.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbro980 View Post
I had Harvey windows installed in my entire home back in 2008...They are great...saved me a lot of money in the winter... NO DRAFT AT ALL... I purchased and had my windows installed through JC Tonnotti ....They have a website ...Check it out because he is always running specials.....Regular price the window would of been around $210…but with the special he was running at that time and the additional work I gave him…..I believe I paid in the range of $160 to $180 depending on the window.

It's a family owned company....a husband and wife team (Joe and Faith)...Excellent workmanship and very professional...Their team of installers...arrived on time...stayed until all the windows were installed...cleaned up like they weren't even there... The lead installer showed me how to operate the window for cleaning purposes....and then inspect each one with me to ensure I was satisfied.

The owner Joe called me within a day or so ...To get feedback on his team, their work, and the windows...Then followed up again a month later….Great customer service.
Are the prices you mentioned just for the window or including installation? Most places I'm finding are between $300 and $400 including installation. If you're getting windows for $210 (or less) installed, I'm definitely interested!

Old 09-07-2012, 10:00 PM

To follow-up my questions about the cost/window, I came across this on Angie's List (I hope it's ok to post here): https://my.angieslist.com/thebigdeal...&RefID=EML:998

Their 'Big Deal' is 5 windows including installation for $2,000 ($400/window) vs. a regular price of $4,500 ($900/window). Clearly the regular price is over-inflated, but is the big deal price OK given that it includes installation? Or is it still way too high?

Old 09-10-2014, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,734 times
I have recently had 30 windows in my home replaced and am having a very bad experience. I believe that the windows are of a fairly good qualitiy but the installation has been a nightmare. I would advise that you check out your contracter throughly because some do not install your windows properly. In my case I have a home that is over a hundred years old and had the old rope and weight windows. The company I hired through the salesmen stated that yes he would fill in the sides of the windows, indeed he would insulate all around the window. This is a trick! They do not insulate the window by filling in the cavities with foam insulation they have "foam" around the windows themselves. To call it "foam" is not correct, it is merely a buffer pad that is attached to the window all the way round and acts as a buffer between the window and the window frame.

So Again make sure you get it in writing if you are buying windows for an old home that they will indeed fill in the sides where the ropes and weights were and the top and bottom of the window with a foam insulation. I am certain that I will be having drafts in my home and that the new windows will be no better than the old as they have been improperly installed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut