Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 06:04 PM

21 posts, read 78,225 times

Advertisements

I am moving to central CT (from central WA ) in a week. My priority destination is Cheshire - it has great schools and my new job is there too. Unfortunately, there are almost no rentals in this area, available for internet users( we prefer single family houses or condos ). Can anybody suggest good local resource to look at?
Thanks,
Oleg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2006, 09:54 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olegus View Post
I am moving to central CT (from central WA ) in a week. My priority destination is Cheshire - it has great schools and my new job is there too. Unfortunately, there are almost no rentals in this area, available for internet users( we prefer single family houses or condos ). Can anybody suggest good local resource to look at?
Thanks,
Oleg
Hi Olegus,

I live in Cheshire. You could try www.ctnow.com. There are only five (5) listed rentals (MLS). Will you be working for a large company?

Rich

Old 11-01-2006, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
Hi Olegus,

I live in Cheshire. You could try www.ctnow.com. There are only five (5) listed rentals (MLS). Will you be working for a large company?

Rich
Thank you for a prompt answer and this link, Rich. WHere should I go there in order to see these 5 ads? I am puzzled.
I will be working for a small software company.
As a town rating, I use this link - http://www.zwire.com/site/news.asp?b...dept_id=487245
What do you think, is it adequate?
Also, what other towns would you recommend? My priorities are schools, quietness, short commute distance and of course, price. I started to look at Hamden rentals at craigslist. What other vicinities should I consider?

Old 11-02-2006, 06:17 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
Hamden is nice although it has its rough parts closer to the New Haven line (specifically lower Dixwell Avenue). They have a very good school system and will have tons of rentals available. I would choose to live in Hamden any day over Cheshire. Cheshire seriously lacks diversity.

Wallingford is also an option. It is a blue collar kind of town with a good solid school system. My biggest complaint about it is there are all big box stores and chain restaurants there. Finding a good restaurant in Wallingford is near impossible unless you like Applebees and the like.

I would stay away from Waterbury. Southington is an option, but honestly I don’t know much about their schools.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:34 PM

16 posts, read 52,321 times
Default Rentals new Cheshire

Hi Olegus

Cheshire IMO is rather cliquey. I agree with Mels
I have worked in CT for a couple of years & have several friends
that live in Cheshire, Wallingford & Southington.
They both give these areas rave reviews & attended schools there.

I have also heard nice things about Hamden, although no info on schools
I know Hamden has townhouse/condos managed by Avon that are rather nice.
My friend lived there for several years & was happy.

You can find some rentals here:
removed

Hope this helps
Welcome to CT

Last edited by Marka; 11-06-2006 at 03:56 AM.. Reason: read the rules, please

Old 11-07-2006, 04:55 PM

Since it is almost impossible to find a rental house in Cheshire, I am looking now to 3br apartments in Hamden and Southington. Can anybody suggest good(quiet, close to good schools, new/renewed, large, 2ba) apartments in locations above? I could find plenty info on Avalon Walk in Hamden, but apartments in Southington does not have any useful information on Internet( or it is hard to find). Any thoughts on apartments listed here?

Old 11-08-2006, 12:12 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
Olegus, you may want to try the local newspapers for each area. Unless it is a giant apartment development (like Avalon) you may have trouble finding online info for the apartments themselves. For Southington, check out the real estate section of the Hartford Courant. In Hamden, check out the New Haven Register.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:44 PM

16 posts, read 52,321 times
Olegus
There are several FREE online sites to find rentals in this area.
It took me many months of looking (I'm picky) to find a place in CT
as most of the usual rent sites, including MLS have slim pickins' in
those areas, which were the same areas I was looking in.
I found more useful info at local newspaper websites & free sites which have online rental listings.

I found a couple good rentals for your areas at these sites & posted links to them above, most were private homeowners, but for some reason the links were deleted.

I am not a realtor, just trying to help.
Found a couple in Cheshire for u via Waterbury Republican - I PM'd you
They sound pretty decent One sounded like a townhouse
Good Luck !!

Last edited by Magickly; 11-11-2006 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: More info

Old 11-13-2006, 08:21 PM

Thanks a lot! I will look into them!

Old 11-14-2006, 04:39 AM

439 posts, read 721,776 times
All Connecticut towns are rated in the November's Connecticut Magazine

see http://www.connecticutmag.com/ Information here is really great- if you are seriously considering moving here this IS A MUST READ.

Small towns, medium sized towns and towns over 50K are listed for education, culture, costs, schools, crime and other issues.

Last edited by Dragondog; 11-14-2006 at 05:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut