Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which CT city is the "worst"?
Hartford 10 17.54%
New Haven 4 7.02%
Bridgeport 35 61.40%
Waterbury 8 14.04%
New London 0 0%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 06:39 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,426,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Bridgeport. It's in a great location and just can't seem to get any momentum, and has been plagued with corruption and poverty for decades. It's probably got the most post-industrial blight and brownfields in the state as well. That decay is very visible from 95, worsening its image. Yes, there's some good things about Bridgeport, but it doesn't outweigh the bad. Sadly, I was there downtown a few weekends ago and it was pretty dead. At least Hartford is making some progress downtown with some new restaurants and theaters. New Haven is absolutely vibrant in comparison (and has more interesting architecture and bones). Even the bad parts in Bridgeport seem more blighted than the bad parts of New Haven for some reason.
I agree on all counts, Stylo, which is why I voted for Bridgeport too. New Haven has some bad areas like all urban places but the good far outweighs the bad. Waterbury is depressed and ugly but the crime doesn't justify the honor of being CT's "worst city". New London has its issues too but they just don't rival other cities in the crime department.

To me this was really more of a Bridgeport vs. Hartford poll. While Hartford does have its problems, they are making strides downtown, people are actually renting the apartments that keep going up (I now know several who happily live downtown!), Front Street is finally coming along, etc. Granted other neighborhoods like the north end are like war zones but at least you can see some progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 06:53 AM

21,634 posts, read 31,242,597 times
I'm not sure why Waterbury got so many votes. There are actually many very nice, middle class sections of Waterbury. Plus, their crime rate isn't even close to Bridgeport, Hartford or New Haven.

And Stylo, the bad parts of New Haven are absolutely just as bad as Bridgeport. Lets not give New Haven a free pass when we all know the ghettos there are some of the worst in the country.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:59 AM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Sorry but I have to go with Waterbury here. Hartford's crime is mostly restricted to one or two areas. It is the states largest employment center and has the most impressive skyline. Bridgeport has some very nice neighborhoods like Black Rock and the North End plus it has some pretty stunning parks. Also I do not find its skyline to be that bad. I am not sure what nep is talking about.

New Haven has a great downtown, Yale and some very nice neighborhoods. New Lonndon is small and virtually unnoticeable. This is why my vote went to Waterbury. Jay

Old 11-11-2014, 07:05 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,950,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'm not sure why Waterbury got so many votes. There are actually many very nice, middle class sections of Waterbury. Plus, their crime rate isn't even close to Bridgeport, Hartford or New Haven.

And Stylo, the bad parts of New Haven are absolutely just as bad as Bridgeport. Lets not give New Haven a free pass when we all know the ghettos there are some of the worst in the country.
New Haven would be Bridgeport without Yale, no doubt about it.

Why are New Britain and Meriden not on the list?

Old 11-11-2014, 07:07 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,875,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post

I wanted to keep the list small. In retrospect, i probably should have selected New Britain instead of New London.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:

I guess our viewpoints are in agreement. Waterbury with more votes than New Haven?

Old 11-11-2014, 07:15 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,184,673 times
They all have some nice areas, but Bridgeport all the way, and it will never ever ever ever get better, never.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:31 AM

21,782 posts, read 28,131,791 times
Quote:

I did not mean crime/poverty-wise, just appearance. I've been to the worst sections of both cities, and for whatever reason the roads and buildings are in worse aesthetic condition in Bridgeport. There seem to be more derelict houses in Bridgeport too. That's not to say either are pretty.

I also agree Waterbury doesn't deserve all the bad attention. I think it's because it's so nondescript and offers so little. Yeah, Hartford and New Haven have far more crime, but they also have a lot more reasons to visit and points of pride for the state.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:08 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,364,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post

This! I'd have voted for Meriden for sure.

Bridgeport comes close to second. I dunno though, Bridgeport now is what I expect Meriden to be in 10 years.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
This! I'd have voted for Meriden for sure.
Really?

So let me give you a hypothetical scenario here. Let's pretend you have a wife and 2 school aged kids and you are forced to choose between Meriden and Hartford. You can live in the "best" neighborhood, but you still must send your kids to the public schools. You would take Hartford? Or Bridgeport? Or New Haven?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut