Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which CT city is the "worst"?
Hartford 10 17.54%
New Haven 4 7.02%
Bridgeport 35 61.40%
Waterbury 8 14.04%
New London 0 0%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 01:42 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
What is that area in Bridgeport with the identical looking abandoned buildings or warehouses (about 10 or 15 of them in a row). Kind of near the hospital. It has to be one of the most depressing places around.
east side and east end which is like hartford north end or mini newark other depressing parts are south end, west side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 01:50 PM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
What is that area in Bridgeport with the identical looking abandoned buildings or warehouses (about 10 or 15 of them in a row). Kind of near the hospital. It has to be one of the most depressing places around.
I think you are talking about the massive GE complex on Boston Avenue. That area would be the East Side which is one of the city's worst neighborhoods. You should know though that the GE complex has been demolished and is to be replaced in part by a new high school. Jay

Old 11-14-2014, 04:23 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I think you are talking about the massive GE complex on Boston Avenue. That area would be the East Side which is one of the city's worst neighborhoods. You should know though that the GE complex has been demolished and is to be replaced in part by a new high school. Jay
Yep. It was the GE buildings. Whether or not the site becomes the new Harding remains to be seen. Initial plans for the GE property were to be that Seaview Avenue would be extended to connect with the Remington Woods property.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:44 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
I'm thinking my poll is being trolled just a bit here.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:14 AM

722 posts, read 1,982,764 times
I didn't vote, but I think people voted in this thread as a matter of perception. Why is Bridgeport #1? Because you can see the entire city from the I-95 or Route 8 and there doesn't seem to be any appealing areas. Everyone also has different ideas of what makes a city "bad". For many people, it's the crime rate. But to me, Bridgeport's crime rate seems like it has gotten a lot better from ten years ago. Perhaps people still remember the days when the city had 20 murders a year.

That same perception of what people see on the news is what keeps Waterbury from ever becoming a place to move to. I'm not saying that the Waterbury doesn't have any problems. Last week, someone put a house on the market for $199,000. It has 7 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms. That's how bad it has gotten. The house is located near downtown, in a historic area previously owned by brass executives in doctors. But this area, the Columbia Blvd corridor, is adjacent to what I would call the city's worst area, Willow/Hillside. Beginning about 10 years ago, these residents would wake up with their cars broken into. Now, crackheads and kids are just stealing their cars. But twenty years ago, these residents would have been left alone, even with their proximity to a rough neighborhood.

Waterbury isn't bad because of the crime rate, its bad because of perception. Its bad because so many people remember how the city [i]used[i] to be. The amount of stolen cars in recent years has increased sharply. That doesn't compare with the amount of shootings in New Haven and Bridgeport but those petty crimes are becoming a nuisance to people who just want to be left alone. We can admit that even places like Bridgeport and Hartford have areas like Blue Hills and Black Rock, where people are unaffected by crime. Even with Waterbury's vast and diverse neighborhoods, its beginning to become a place where there's no where to hide..

On a side note, I want to address the person who asked about schools. Just because Waterbury still has a considerable number of white, middle class families doesn't mean that the schools are better. Waterbury still has some of the worst, violent, underperforming schools in the state and so does New Haven. But New Haven offers a wide range of magnet schools. I'm sure you're thinking that magnet schools are overrated and I yes, agree. But in New Haven's case, it is an alternative to its regular schools. New Haven magnet schools draw people from all across the region, as far north as Naugatuck. They create a melting pot of kids from different backgrounds and abilities and teach them toward a common goal/theme. If I were choosing a city based on schools for children, I would chose a place like New Haven. Waterbury has 3 magnet schools and opened its first admissions-based high school a few years ago. But it's lightyears away from New Haven or even Hartford.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
I didn't vote, but I think people voted in this thread as a matter of perception. Why is Bridgeport #1? Because you can see the entire city from the I-95 or Route 8 and there doesn't seem to be any appealing areas. Everyone also has different ideas of what makes a city "bad". For many people, it's the crime rate. But to me, Bridgeport's crime rate seems like it has gotten a lot better from ten years ago. Perhaps people still remember the days when the city had 20 murders a year.

That same perception of what people see on the news is what keeps Waterbury from ever becoming a place to move to. I'm not saying that the Waterbury doesn't have any problems. Last week, someone put a house on the market for $199,000. It has 7 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms. That's how bad it has gotten. The house is located near downtown, in a historic area previously owned by brass executives in doctors. But this area, the Columbia Blvd corridor, is adjacent to what I would call the city's worst area, Willow/Hillside. Beginning about 10 years ago, these residents would wake up with their cars broken into. Now, crackheads and kids are just stealing their cars. But twenty years ago, these residents would have been left alone, even with their proximity to a rough neighborhood.

Waterbury isn't bad because of the crime rate, its bad because of perception. Its bad because so many people remember how the city [i]used[i] to be. The amount of stolen cars in recent years has increased sharply. That doesn't compare with the amount of shootings in New Haven and Bridgeport but those petty crimes are becoming a nuisance to people who just want to be left alone. We can admit that even places like Bridgeport and Hartford have areas like Blue Hills and Black Rock, where people are unaffected by crime. Even with Waterbury's vast and diverse neighborhoods, its beginning to become a place where there's no where to hide..

On a side note, I want to address the person who asked about schools. Just because Waterbury still has a considerable number of white, middle class families doesn't mean that the schools are better. Waterbury still has some of the worst, violent, underperforming schools in the state and so does New Haven. But New Haven offers a wide range of magnet schools. I'm sure you're thinking that magnet schools are overrated and I yes, agree. But in New Haven's case, it is an alternative to its regular schools. New Haven magnet schools draw people from all across the region, as far north as Naugatuck. They create a melting pot of kids from different backgrounds and abilities and teach them toward a common goal/theme. If I were choosing a city based on schools for children, I would chose a place like New Haven. Waterbury has 3 magnet schools and opened its first admissions-based high school a few years ago. But it's lightyears away from New Haven or even Hartford.

You can't see all of Bridgeport from I-95 or Route 8. Not even close. You.can't see Black Rock with beautiful St. Mary's park. You can't see the North End or Seaside Park or even Beardsley Park. Like too many people you are judging Bridgeport by what you see whizzing by on the highway at 60 miles per hour. Jay

Old 11-15-2014, 01:42 PM

@JayCT you can see seaside park, UB, St Vincent's hopsital, Route 8, almost up to trumbull on 1-95 coming from Stratford on very sunny day and outline of long island which is 30 miles across the sound.

2nd talllest building in downtown Bport 16 floors but it look empty just shy of 2 floors less than people banks building 2 blocks away pic was taken last week.

Last edited by BPt111; 11-15-2014 at 02:54 PM..

Old 11-15-2014, 01:48 PM

What with New britain, Meriden and New London ?

Old 11-15-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
@JayCT you can see seaside park, UB, St Vincent's hopsital, Route 8, almost up to trumbull on 1-95 coming from Stratford on very sunny day and outline of long island which is 30 miles across the sound.

2nd talllest building in downtown Bport 16 floors but it look empty just shy of 2 floors less than people banks building 2 blocks away pic was taken last week.

So you can see how beautiful Seaside Park is from I-95??? I don't think so. Not even closer we. Jay

Old 11-15-2014, 06:15 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
I didn't vote, but I think people voted in this thread as a matter of perception. Why is Bridgeport #1? Because you can see the entire city from the I-95 or Route 8 and there doesn't seem to be any appealing areas.
No. Because it's a corrupt city with a disgusting amount of criminal activity. That's why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut