Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 08:26 PM

21,879 posts, read 28,260,334 times

Advertisements

Norwalk to Wallingford doesn't seem like that hard of a commute. Is it really that hard for her? 45 minutes, minimal traffic if you take 15 once in Milford.

I do understand the Norwalk to NYC commute being tough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by perennialMover View Post

Do you think area near Yale (state street etc) is safe for living?
Yes. If you've lived in big cities and have street smarts, it will be nothing new. 360 State Street is nice, although I will say that's the few blocks on Chapel that still hasn't gentrified - there's a rough element there at times but I don't know if I'd call it dangerous. There are nicer parts of downtown though and East Rock is hard to beat. Upper State Street is really nice and considered a part of East Rock. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_S...toric_District

You may want to consider downtown Milford too (try Spinnaker and Metro Star apartments), but it is much less urban than New Haven obviously. Milford to Wallingford is an easy 25 minutes up 15 with minimal traffic, and a 90 minute train to NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 08:54 PM

4,321 posts, read 4,225,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perennialMover View Post
Hi all,

I work in NYC and my wife works in Wallingford. We have been living in Lower Fairfield County (Norwalk) for past 9 months and commuting in opposite direction everyday.

The commute, so far, has been soul sucking. We are stressed and tired all the time and have decided to try an alternative: We are planning to maintain two separate apartments close to our respective workplaces. We will stay close to work on three days and commute on Thursdays and Fridays. I have flexible hours and can leave early on last two days. I honestly believe that long commute on two days is better than five.

My questions: has anyone tried this arrangement? What was your experience like? Also, what are some of the safe towns close to Wallingford? We are both in late twenties and have no kids. We will prefer renting but won't mind buying a house if anything good comes along.

Not sure if you're talking short-term, or long-term. Westport / Fairfield are really the extremities for bearable NYC commuting long-term.

For now, it would make sense for you to have a main apartment, and I would second Jay's advice -- Wallingford itself. It is probably the most centered / best location in the entire state.

While you get a cheap place or apt-share in the City for yourself for the week. Short-term you can do anything, but long-term you either need to move closer to work, or find work closer to home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut