Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 06:19 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post

Not that it surprises me, given the failure of the access health website.
I got my CT Access Health insurance through a free insurance broker, and was signed up in minutes. I've never had to use the Access Health website, and never had an issue. I would recommend to anyone considering Access Health to find a broker instead of applying themselves.

As for the DMV, that's ridiculous. I've been hearing on the news for weeks how long the lines are. They really need to get this sorted out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 08:48 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I got my CT Access Health insurance through a free insurance broker, and was signed up in minutes. I've never had to use the Access Health website, and never had an issue. I would recommend to anyone considering Access Health to find a broker instead of applying themselves.

As for the DMV, that's ridiculous. I've been hearing on the news for weeks how long the lines are. They really need to get this sorted out.
I contacted them in March 2014 before the first deadline and was on hold for TWO HOURS then another full hour on the phone with someone. The only reason I called was because the system was so overloaded I couldn't even log in. She set me up but told me I made too much to qualify for the subsidy and I was better off with my current insurance ($250 vs $450). She couldn't explain the problem as my income was definitely below the threshold. I was able to get into the site in April, and discovered she had added me as a primary and me again as a dependent, both with the same salaries which of course put me over the limit. I also found other discrepancies in what she entered.

Come December I tried again, this time through Anthem. I had a rep who was fantastic and was able to explain the plans to me logically. He said though there were two states that did not allow the companies to sign people up and they were CT and KY. So we did a screen share and went through the site together so I could sign up. I did also talk to another independent broker the next week when I started to doubt the plan I chose, so I'm not sure if he could have signed me up himself. How do they make their money anyway? It's not like the plans cost more when you go through a broker.

The food stamps process was the same. You'd wait on hold for hours for someone to just answer the phone and put you on hold again. Sometimes I thought I was just in a forever on hold loop.

About DMV - the whole thing boggles the mind. They shut down for 1-2 weeks to implement a system? That's insane. I worked in IT for 20 years and we never shut down for that long to implement anything. Things were done on nights or weekends, or rolled out slowly. And the fact they did this and there are still so many issues is laughable.

I too know people who have spent 8 hours in line to get a car registered. I went there in Feb/March to register a vehicle and even that took a couple of hours which is crazy. It's a straightforward process.

A friend went Thursday night and had 60 people ahead of him at 6:30, though that went pretty quickly. He said in the last hour or so there were employees leaving left and right, leaving only a handful of people to process the still large amount of people in the room.

Why don't they do a split shift? Have a group of people set to come in between noon-2pm and then stay till 8pm. No overtime but they'd be able to have a full staff to process more people.

Oh wait! That actually makes sense. Will never happen :roll eyes:

ps - can you send me the name of your broker please?

Old 09-05-2015, 02:54 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Please return to the topic of the OP. JayCT, Moderator

Old 09-05-2015, 03:01 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Went yesterday to the Norwalk DMV at 2pm, line was out the door. I said screw it.

Went this morning at 8am and this is what I see...

Sure, lets build a 10 sq ft building in an area of a gazillion people. WHERE ARE PEOPLE'S BRAIN CELLS OUT THERE!?? WTF

And this is nothing.. it was jammed packed inside with people sitting and waiting and even with yet another line to wait to get to a window to get a number.. I wish you can register a vehicle online without this BS

I don't remember it being this bad 4 years ago. I was in and out the few times I did go.
Is that chick walking across the street wearing a bathing suit?

Old 09-05-2015, 03:23 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
yeah, nuts..

I didn't know they had the wait times online. Well that's cool...and yet sad. This is AFTER you actually get a number so it doesn't include the wait on line outside and inside. Gotta be close to 4hrs for registration if the line is outside like that still

https://www.dmvselfservice.ct.gov/NemoService.aspx
It is an attribute of being stuck in the old economy. Capable IT and infrastructure folks would rather take a dose of cyanide than to be trapped in the career doom represented by CT. Hence, system upgrades are conducted by Tier III IT people who could not find a job anywhere else. If the work is conducted by CT State employees, the dysfunction multiplies.

CT is not known as the cutting edge of new technology. Being stuck in the provinces is a guarantee that you will be shut out of technology centers, once subject to the inevitable middle-age "rightsizings".

If you are in a dynamic field, you do NOT want to get comfy in the hinterlands. In CT, once you are laid off in your 40s-50s, your fallback position is a part time job stacking boxes at Lowe's coupled with another part time job at Dunkin' Donuts.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:12 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
It is an attribute of being stuck in the old economy. Capable IT and infrastructure folks would rather take a dose of cyanide than to be trapped in the career doom represented by CT. Hence, system upgrades are conducted by Tier III IT people who could not find a job anywhere else. If the work is conducted by CT State employees, the dysfunction multiplies.

CT is not known as the cutting edge of new technology. Being stuck in the provinces is a guarantee that you will be shut out of technology centers, once subject to the inevitable middle-age "rightsizings".

If you are in a dynamic field, you do NOT want to get comfy in the hinterlands. In CT, once you are laid off in your 40s-50s, your fallback position is a part time job stacking boxes at Lowe's coupled with another part time job at Dunkin' Donuts.
There's loads of capable IT and infrastructure folks here. The pay here for developers is excellent and the jobs are very stable with big companies. Instead of the startup culture of Texas, developers here generally work for large, established companies.

That having been said, most IT projects are "asses and elbows" and it appears this system implementation is no exception.

The upgrade, BTW, wasn't done by CT State employees. Like most enterprise IT projects, it was bid out, and the development was done by a private, for-profit corporation.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:30 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
There's loads of capable IT and infrastructure folks here. The pay here for developers is excellent and the jobs are very stable with big companies. Instead of the startup culture of Texas, developers here generally work for large, established companies.

That having been said, most IT projects are "asses and elbows" and it appears this system implementation is no exception.

The upgrade, BTW, wasn't done by CT State employees. Like most enterprise IT projects, it was bid out, and the development was done by a private, for-profit corporation.
Not trying to pick a bone here. However, EVERYBODY in on the ground floor of a start-up that makes it to IPO walks out (after the holding period on the other end) several million $ richer. Depending on where you are in the pecking order, could be several tens of $M richer. It is tacit knowledge that you get your credentials for an IPO company by having run the gauntlet of several start-ups that did NOT gain VC funding to make it to IPO stage. So every start-up in which you are a working member that did NOT make it to IPO is another notch in your belt. (up to a point - you're not working in failed startups anymore once you're 50 - each one taxes you right to the point of giving you a heart attack).

There is nothing reprehensible in the slightest about working for a start-up. From the standpoint of technology intensity and broad knowledge acquisition, it is a sine qua non. Further, while you are gaining your credentials, you are PAID. As noted above, sometimes the angel money runs out before you attract a proper IPO-seasoned VC sponsor. That's a "no harm, no foul" for everybody concerned. It's not like the failure taints you (like being long term unemployed through "being right-sized" in CT - from which you never recover if you're over 40). Either you grow into the understanding that the product will never be marketable and you walk, the place implodes, or the premise has legs. As always, you've got to have sound judgment about who you sign on as your business partner.

But everybody makes money. I will double-dog-dare you to find me a capable developer who works in somebody else's startup for nothing, lol!

Old 09-09-2015, 03:29 PM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
The DMV is updating their computers
Went there today 1pm.. Took 2 minutes to find a spot, 5 minutes to get a number. D789.. I thought sweet!! They called D679. Then D681 15 minutes later.

I left, ran some errands, mowed my lawn, took a nap, and went back at 3:30pm. They were on D722

Finally called my number at 5pm. Lady was cursing the new systems..I was happy to finally be up there... then the system shut down. .

I asked if its the 1st time... She said it was the 4th time today and its everyday.

Hey.. at least they accept debit/credit cards now intead of just checks. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut