Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 10:28 PM

7 posts, read 15,941 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We drive down to visit with family in CT for a Sat am and lunch event. We then fly out west and want to leave the family event as late as possible on Sat (hopefully we will get in some of the lunch. We have booked a 4.15 pm domestic flight from JFK on Sat in May for a family of 3 and return 8 days later.

Please help with options to get to JFK and timing.

I have thought of renting a car. Where do we leave our car (do you know if the rental places keep a car safe) in CT and what routing do we take into JFK? or do we drive into JFK with our own car and park - Any recommendations regarding 8 day parking at JFK?

If there are traffic jams please help with routes and alternative routes. What is it like to return a rental car at JFK - how much time should we leave for the drive in and car drop off or long term parking?

Another idea I had was to book a hotel park and fly at JFK and stay there on our return. We return at around 8 pm Sunday to JFK so this would be helpful to sleep over. Has anyone got experience with a park first and sleep on the return. I emailed one hotel and they have not replied. Any recommendations and how long to drive in, book into the hotel and get the hotel shuttle to JFK etc.

Another alternative is to take a shuttle from CT and try and leave our car with family- I have read spotty reports on the quality of service and reliability of service and the cost for the three of us might be prohibitive.

We will travel with carry on bags - do we consider public transport- then where do we leave our car for 8 days? On our return on the Sunday we will sleep somewhere cost effective and then on the Monday make our way home (northern NY State)

What to do? Please help.

With thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 12:17 AM

830 posts, read 684,180 times
I've driven family/friends to JFK and that seems to be the least hectic for the traveler. Getting somebody to drive down and back will be the hard part. I wouldn't use mass transit because that would be a long haul, although doable. There's no easy way to drive down regardless -- take 95 or the Merritt/Hutch to the Whitestone or Throgs Neck, then Van Wyck Expressway or the Cross Island, whichever has less traffic, to JFK. And you might have to miss lunch.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:33 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
I would leave no later than 1pm. There is going to be traffic delays on the van wyck approaching JFK, no way around it. Long term parking is at Lefferts Blvd, where then you take the tram to the terminals. Its about $25/day. Follow the signs for long term parking.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:44 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Hire a car/driver from an airport/limousine service. That's the only real way. Renting a car is a logistical nightmare, with lots of paperwork and time wasted. Public transportation is out of the question unless you want to spend hours. Just spring for a car service to pick you up where you're staying and drop you off at your terminal.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the info
Seems we should either drive ourselves or get a shuttle/limo - how do you know which has the least traffic blockages or is there only one route into JFK? Does traffic updates get posted on the highway or do you use your GPS for traffic info and alternative routes.

If we get a shuttle/limo. which companies are most reliable (or ones to avoid).

Aim to leave by 12.45 - will get some starters and food to go.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:58 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Hire a car/driver from an airport/limousine service. That's the only real way. Renting a car is a logistical nightmare, with lots of paperwork and time wasted. Public transportation is out of the question unless you want to spend hours. Just spring for a car service to pick you up where you're staying and drop you off at your terminal.
Agree with this. CT Limo is one of the cheaper options.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:00 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobiesailor View Post
Thanks for the info
Seems we should either drive ourselves or get a shuttle/limo - how do you know which has the least traffic blockages or is there only one route into JFK? Does traffic updates get posted on the highway or do you use your GPS for traffic info and alternative routes.

If we get a shuttle/limo. which companies are most reliable (or ones to avoid).

Aim to leave by 12.45 - will get some starters and food to go.
It's probably cheaper to hire a car to take you to the airport and back than it would be to park the car there for 2 weeks. And who knows how safe the car would be there while you were gone. I think driving yourself to that airport is a bad idea.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:57 AM

We are there 8 days for parking but i get the drift.
Has anyone had experience with hotel park and fly? On our return we will need to stay in lodging somewhere. We could consider staying at a JFK airport hotel with a park and fly package.

I have also requested a quote from CT limo

Old 02-22-2015, 12:25 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
Not sure about the park and fly.
Parking at Lefferts is perfectly safe. I use it all the time, lots of security in place, guards, cameras, fenced in. CT Limo also good option as mentioned
Any highway or route into JFK will a be a traffic nightmare on a Saturday afternoon. The Van wyck will be backed up a few miles before the airport beginning a little past Citi Field. Either sit in traffic in your car or the limo.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:12 PM

How long do you think it will take to drive in on a Sat afternoon - for a 4 pm flight - so need to be at the JFK no later than 3pm. If we leave Fairfield at 12.45 and check into a hotel and do a shuttle or park in the long term parking can we do it or must we leave earlier? How much earlier do you recon?

Waiting to hear about the cost of limo for 3.
Anyone used the parking - how much per day or for our 8 days
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut