Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 11:15 PM

52 posts, read 84,355 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

I've been researching a lot [Craigslist, Zillow, ApartmentGuide, Rent.com., City-data, etc] to find a place that accepts any dog without breed and weight restriction. I'm having a tough time finding an apartment that accepts a a lab with pitbull mix and a black lab that weights over 50 lbs.

I'm looking to be at least 10-30 minutes away from Cheshire, CT. Worse case scenario, I'll have to drive an hour.

If anyone own a mutt that had a pitbull mix to it or a black lab, could you tell me what is the name of the apartment building that you stayed at.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 12:51 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,992 times
I don't live in the area so can't hslp with apartments but have you tried checking out houses, duplexes, etc?

Also, just say the one dog is a lab mix. You don't want to lie but you also do not have to advertize all the breeds in his mix (unless you actually saw the parents, you can't be absolutely sure any way).

Old 02-04-2015, 03:49 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,381,599 times
What Skelaki sez is true...." just say the one dog is a lab mix. You don't want to lie but you also do not have to advertize all the breeds in his mix (unless you actually saw the parents, you can't be absolutely sure any way)".....but it may be obvious to others, and lying to your landlord is not the best way to start a relationship, especially if the neighbors complain of having that breed around make them uneasy. In Danbury, there is a company called "BRT" who have hundreds of rental units in the area, and I believe they accept pets. We rented one of their places for a year when we relocated from NY for the first time, and they were okay with our two Yorkies....had to pay extra, and a non-refundable deposit, but it was a roof over our heads, and not a bad roof, actually a nice two bedroom 1 1/2 bath Townhome with a one car garage, Balcony off the bedroom, and a Washer / Dryer area off the garage (supply your own appliance)

Old 02-04-2015, 06:47 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,314 times
To purchase or rent? Judd Square in Wallingford allows dogs, pretty sure I've seen pit bulls and larger dogs. I don't know if those are the owners or renters though, since they have both.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:34 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,992 times
Pick the Pit - Can you find the Pitbull?

It's not generally obvious that a dog is a pit. Can you tell which of these is actually a pitbull?

Old 02-04-2015, 01:59 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,924 times
Thumbs up my complex's bylaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
To purchase or rent? Judd Square in Wallingford allows dogs, pretty sure I've seen pit bulls and larger dogs. I don't know if those are the owners or renters though, since they have both.

I'm out of the area you are looking for, (East Haven) but figured I would chime in. I am in a condo complex that a few years ago passed a new rule that only owners could have dogs - not renters. Prior to that, either owners or renters could have dogs. Even when I moved in, 20+ years ago, they had a weight limit of 20 lbs. and it was never enforced. We had pitbulls, German Shepherds, Labs, you name it. Now we have new management and they are getting after owners of rental units with dogs with fines, and a few renters have had to give their dogs away. A few bigger dogs, including a pitbull, were "grandfathered in". So if you go into a condo/townhouse complex, ask a lot of questions. You would not want to have to move again.

Get it in writing that the dogs can be there, if possible.

I am sympathetic - I own a cat and was close to buying in an HOA till I found out the cat would have to be tied up when outside or on a leash; it was even suggested to me that I get a large dog crate to put the cat in so he could still "be outside". Nice as the place was, I passed on it. Also did not want to worry about neighbors seeing the cat outside an complaining, etc. Life is stressful enough and I'm sure you feel the same way.

Good luck!

Old 02-04-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
I don't live in the area so can't hslp with apartments but have you tried checking out houses, duplexes, etc?

Also, just say the one dog is a lab mix. You don't want to lie but you also do not have to advertize all the breeds in his mix (unless you actually saw the parents, you can't be absolutely sure any way).
skelaki, I'm still researching, so I'm not going to give up. Majority of the research I have done, have breed and weight restriction so far.

I get what you are saying.

However, the one that is a lab mix has the white part like a pitbull on its chest, the rest of its fur coat looks like a yellow/golden lab.

So therefore, it's noticeable.

The lab mix looks has the mole like a German Shephard, white chest part like a pitbull, and the rest of its fur coat looks like a yellow lab. His face and ears are a mixture of a yellow lab and pitbull. He does not have a body of a pitbull but a German Shephard.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
To rent. Can't afford to purchase just yet.

Judd Square I heard is a horrible management, and place to live based on the reviews.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
Pick the Pit - Can you find the Pitbull?

It's not generally obvious that a dog is a pit. Can you tell which of these is actually a pitbull?
LOL Yeah the first picture is a Pit. Not that difficult. Took me less than a minute.

However, it's the Landlord's decision whether or not I can keep the dogs or I would have to find a new place that accepts them. I'm having trouble with that. Not trying to find which dog is a Pit or has Pit mix to it.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
I'm out of the area you are looking for, (East Haven) but figured I would chime in. I am in a condo complex that a few years ago passed a new rule that only owners could have dogs - not renters. Prior to that, either owners or renters could have dogs. Even when I moved in, 20+ years ago, they had a weight limit of 20 lbs. and it was never enforced. We had pitbulls, German Shepherds, Labs, you name it. Now we have new management and they are getting after owners of rental units with dogs with fines, and a few renters have had to give their dogs away. A few bigger dogs, including a pitbull, were "grandfathered in". So if you go into a condo/townhouse complex, ask a lot of questions. You would not want to have to move again.
Gosh, it's a pain in the butt! I will get renter's insurance for both dogs. I'm leaning to State Farms.

Quote:
Get it in writing that the dogs can be there, if possible.
I will definitely make sure of that!!! I don't want to go through what a lot of people did after the lease was signed.

Quote:
I am sympathetic - I own a cat and was close to buying in an HOA till I found out the cat would have to be tied up when outside or on a leash; it was even suggested to me that I get a large dog crate to put the cat in so he could still "be outside". Nice as the place was, I passed on it. Also did not want to worry about neighbors seeing the cat outside an complaining, etc. Life is stressful enough and I'm sure you feel the same way.

Good luck!
Apparently, I found a house for rent that accepts two dogs but there is a weight restrictions. Not too sure on breed just yet since I have to meet with him on Saturday. Only problem is that I have to pay for all utilities. Hence why I'm looking for an apartment that does have all utilities included as well.

I'm still searching. Just don't know if anyone found a place that accepts large dogs without breed and weight restrictions, and utilities are included.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge! Appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut