Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 04:12 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,625 times

Advertisements

I was in North Haven today and saw trees being removed along Spring Road and dozens of other trees with signs on them saying they will be removed. This was on both sides of the road. Does anyone know why there is such large-scale tree removal? is this also occurring on other roads in North Haven?

Then later in the day I saw at least 20 orange trucks belonging to Asplundh (tree removal company) parked in the parking lot at BJ's. I could see they were filled with sawdust in back, so had been involved in some tree removal probably today. Wonder if they park the trucks at BJ's overnight.

Does anyone in North Haven have any info on what is going on? Some streets will look terrible with every tree removed on both sides of the street. It takes along, long time to replace a mature tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 09:27 PM

684 posts, read 812,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
I was in North Haven today and saw trees being removed along Spring Road and dozens of other trees with signs on them saying they will be removed. This was on both sides of the road. Does anyone know why there is such large-scale tree removal? is this also occurring on other roads in North Haven?

Then later in the day I saw at least 20 orange trucks belonging to Asplundh (tree removal company) parked in the parking lot at BJ's. I could see they were filled with sawdust in back, so had been involved in some tree removal probably today. Wonder if they park the trucks at BJ's overnight.

Does anyone in North Haven have any info on what is going on? Some streets will look terrible with every tree removed on both sides of the street. It takes along, long time to replace a mature tree.

Um maybe the town doesnt want these trees falling on peoples cars, houses, power lines, etc ? Just a thought.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:33 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Was it for utility lines? Jay

Old 03-17-2015, 07:51 AM

15 posts, read 22,916 times
If you were able to get any good look at the sections of the trees that were cut (see below for example), if they had dark rings in the middle or splotches of dark color, it's likely they were already 'sick'. The town/whoever might have had to cut them down to prevent spread of more disease or prevent diseased trees from falling in the future. see: diseased tree section
I know, it pains me too to see trees cut down. Perhaps you can contact your local town representative to see if they will be planting younger trees, perhaps shorter species if they're near utility lines, in replacement.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:56 AM

Default Don't know

I thought when the utilities "trimmed" trees (removed actually) it was one side of a street. This is both sides. I was only on this one street, then went north on Maple Ave., so don't know if other side streets are the same. Like I said I saw about 20 of those tree cutting trucks parked late in the day, so they are probably on other streets too. Maybe someone in North Haven has some info. Thanks.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411 View Post
Um maybe the town doesnt want these trees falling on peoples cars, houses, power lines, etc ? Just a thought.
Most towns and cities have trees, so don't think that is the reason. When a town removes a tree because of disease or for road widening, it is usually replaced. That is why most have tree wardens. What is going on in North Haven is like clear-cutting. The street will be desolate looking for years to come.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:51 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
Disgusting. You tell this to some other states and they laugh at what we do.

That's why I tell everyone that if they take down a tree in their yard, just plant a new one AT LEAST. Doesn't have to be a 100' tree. A small 20-30' tree is fine. It's oxygen! Lets stop making areas look like NYC or just too open.

See if you can find out and post back here. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

I had started this thread in 2013 when I saw the massive cuttings and they had their "reasons" as of course there always needs to be a reason.

//www.city-data.com/forum/conne...orm-sandy.html

Old 03-17-2015, 09:09 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Disgusting. You tell this to some other states and they laugh at what we do.

That's why I tell everyone that if they take down a tree in their yard, just plant a new one AT LEAST. Doesn't have to be a 100' tree. A small 20-30' tree is fine. It's oxygen! Lets stop making areas look like NYC or just too open.

See if you can find out and post back here. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

I had started this thread in 2013 when I saw the massive cuttings and they had their "reasons" as of course there always needs to be a reason.

//www.city-data.com/forum/conne...orm-sandy.html
What makes you think this does not happen in other states? They (town, state, whoever) don't spend money cutting down trees for no good reason here or anywhere else. It is not like there is a large amount of money lying around waiting to be spent so they up and decide to go out and cut down trees. I don't like to see trees cut either but it does have to be done at times. And that is true in others states as well. Jay

Old 03-17-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
What makes you think this does not happen in other states? They (town, state, whoever) don't spend money cutting down trees for no good reason here or anywhere else. It is not like there is a large amount of money lying around waiting to be spent so they up and decide to go out and cut down trees. I don't like to see trees cut either but it does have to be done at times. And that is true in others states as well. Jay
Because I have family living in upstate NY and in Montana and they tell me there is no need, urgency, or plans to have a large scale cutting like we do. Michigan, Idaho, mostly northern states and even in PA.

It's mostly a population thing. Without people, there would be no need to do this. but even in many states where there is population, they don't clear land like we see. Storm related or not.

Many areas in other states don't do anything. In fact go to Litchfield county and all they do is prune away from the wires. Not clear massive amounts off the land (unless its in a commercial area). One disadvantage I have from travelling so much in CT is I see whats really going on. Population is always involved.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:34 AM

And just to add... States like North Carolina, Alaska, ect do logging and clear massive amount of trees for other reasons such as creating products from it. Logging & Land Clearing are different.

We're talking about the clearing of trees from roadways in CT that is not because of needed land use.. If anyone thinks every "area" of every state does that, they are wrong.

Not sure why they are doing it in North Haven but the Easton clearing was 2 reasons. A storm "damaged" the trees and they were too close to the road.

Do you know how many roads with dense woods and trees near them there are in America? Not every state/area does that.

"Removing the trees, including some standing trees, also reduces the threat of traffic obstruction. "There are trees close to the road and it's necessary to remove them to prevent danger,""
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut