Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 07:54 AM

7 posts, read 6,874 times

Advertisements

I just got a job in Norwalk and I'm scouting out areas to live. I'm young so I would prefer to be in area that has easy access to a decent nightlife.

Milford is 40 minutes away by train, which isn't terrible, and I would get quick access to the New Haven nightlife, not to mention some pretty decent beaches.
Norwalk would be right on top of work, but I have no experience at all with the SoNo nightlife. Is it actually as cracked up as people make it seem?

Milford also does seem to be cheaper overall which is nice and I would still have access to everything I need quickly and efficiently. I guess the closest analogue to Milford would be East Norwalk? How is the safety factor of the area?

Any good inputs on nightlife/affordability/convenience ratio for a young single male? Money isn't really an issue, but I would REALLY prefer not to go too far above $1000.

Thanks.

Last edited by NikolaeVarius; 03-21-2015 at 08:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 08:32 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Norwalk is very expensive and $1000 will not go very far. You might be in a ratty apartment or questionable area for that budget. East Norwalk is actually a really good option, but you need to up your budget to at least $1200.

SoNo has a decent nightlife scene although it is small. Stamford has more going on, which you could access by car or train, although rents there are very high.

Milford is definitely cheaper but not THAT much cheaper to rent. Maybe 20-30% cheaper overall. It makes a bigger difference when you go to buy. The nightlife scene in Milford is mainly in the warmer months, and it's smaller than SoNo. It's very much centered around downtown and outdoor bars. It's pretty dead in the winter. It's definitely a beachy feel, and a much more active town in the summer. New Haven does have a very good nightlife scene, probably the best in the state.

East Norwalk and Milford are nothing alike.

If your work is right in SoNo, I'd consider Downtown Milford as an option - but keep in mind that you'll be spending more $ on the train. If your work is elsewhere in Norwalk, maybe consider East Norwalk - as it'll make the commute a lot easier. It's really up to you. How much of a commute are you willing to deal with for better beaches and slightly cheaper rent?

I know a lot of people that just plain don't like Norwalk despite working there, and have decided to live in Milford and make the commute. I also know a lot of people who couldn't be bothered with the commute from anywhere and live right in Norwalk. It's a personal decision.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:47 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
I would recommend living as close to your job as reasonably possible. You will be commuting to your job every day but likely going out once or twice a week. Why live further than you have to. That said your budget will not go far in Norwalk. You might be able to find a small apartment in a less desirable neighborhood. You might want to consider the Black Rock section of Bridgeport. It is more affordable and has some nightlife. Good luck. Jay.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Norwalk is very expensive and $1000 will not go very far. You might be in a ratty apartment or questionable area for that budget. East Norwalk is actually a really good option, but you need to up your budget to at least $1200.

SoNo has a decent nightlife scene although it is small. Stamford has more going on, which you could access by car or train, although rents there are very high.

Milford is definitely cheaper but not THAT much cheaper to rent. Maybe 20-30% cheaper overall. It makes a bigger difference when you go to buy. The nightlife scene in Milford is mainly in the warmer months, and it's smaller than SoNo. It's very much centered around downtown and outdoor bars. It's pretty dead in the winter. It's definitely a beachy feel, and a much more active town in the summer. New Haven does have a very good nightlife scene, probably the best in the state.

East Norwalk and Milford are nothing alike.

If your work is right in SoNo, I'd consider Downtown Milford as an option - but keep in mind that you'll be spending more $ on the train. If your work is elsewhere in Norwalk, maybe consider East Norwalk - as it'll make the commute a lot easier. It's really up to you. How much of a commute are you willing to deal with for better beaches and slightly cheaper rent?

I know a lot of people that just plain don't like Norwalk despite working there, and have decided to live in Milford and make the commute. I also know a lot of people who couldn't be bothered with the commute from anywhere and live right in Norwalk. It's a personal decision.
Is there anything specific you can say about Norwalk that people don't like about it?

I'm mostly find that I'm okay with the train commute because i can relax and get some work done or read during it, which is nice.

I can easily afford up to 1500 a month in rent, but you know, nobody likes paying a crap ton for rent.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:51 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,089,857 times
1k won't get you much in Norwalk OR Milford…

I also wouldn't want to do the Milford to Norwalk commute….mileage wise it isn't bad, traffic wise it's horrific! Yes train is an option but the train is a pain...Live near work.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:46 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
The train from Milford to Norwalk is fine but many jobs are not near the train station. You would need to get from station to job which could be problem. Jay.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The train from Milford to Norwalk is fine but many jobs are not near the train station. You would need to get from station to job which could be problem. Jay.
The job is like a 5 minute walk from the station. It's trivial.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:23 PM

678 posts, read 847,730 times
I don't want to hijack the topic, but, I'm curious. Could $1,500/mo get you a decent 2br/1ba in walking distance to a train station in Norwalk? If not, what could I get at 1.5k? $1,600 max, if need be.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:06 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolaeVarius View Post
Is there anything specific you can say about Norwalk that people don't like about it?
Cost of living, traffic, general pace of things. Milford is a bit more laid back and less gritty for the most part, more of a beach community than a small city feel. I find it friendlier, personally.

Norwalk has a lot more variety of nightlife though.

Last edited by Stylo; 03-21-2015 at 07:14 PM..

Old 03-22-2015, 05:02 PM

678 posts, read 847,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
I don't want to hijack the topic, but, I'm curious. Could $1,500/mo get you a decent 2br/1ba in walking distance to a train station in Norwalk? If not, what could I get at 1.5k? $1,600 max, if need be.
Anybody? Just need a quick answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut