Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 08:29 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,985 times

Advertisements

First off, I'm very liberal when it comes to social issues. Live and let live is what I say. I honesty could care less, but I have a question. What if it was the other way around?

For example, a company is owned by a gay couple (or Muslim, Jewish, Asian, etc) and a straight (or other ethnic) couple came to them and asked for _______(fill in service). The owners respectfully declined but not being able to go against there beliefs they could not service them. However, they offer a list of people who can help. Would it get as much attention and again I don't even know if that scenario exist.

Not knowing too much about it I was just curious. Does the law (or lack of) protect both sides?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 08:33 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,132,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
First off, I'm very liberal when it comes to social issues. Live and let live is what I say. I honesty could care less, but I have a question. What if it was the other way around?

For example, a company is owned by a gay couple (or Muslim, Jewish, Asian, etc) and a straight (or other ethnic) couple came to them and asked for _______(fill in service). The owners respectfully declined but not being able to go against there beliefs they could not service them. However, they offer a list of people who can help. Would it get as much attention and again I don't even know if that scenario exist.

Not knowing too much about it I was just curious. Does the law (or lack of) protect both sides?
I'm going to guess that this scenario has never occurred.

If you bake wedding cakes in a bakery accessible to the public, regardless of your own background and beliefs, you have to make wedding cakes for anyone who comes in the door. If you don't make wedding cakes, you don't have to make them for anyone.

If you have a public restroom, you can't restrict it's use based on the background or beliefs of people using it. If you have a lunch counter, anyone can sit there. Anyone can sit in on any seat of the bus.

I don't know of any religion that prescribes who you can make a cake for, or who can sit at a lunch counter....

Old 03-31-2015, 08:50 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I'm going to guess that this scenario has never occurred.

If you bake wedding cakes in a bakery accessible to the public, regardless of your own background and beliefs, you have to make wedding cakes for anyone who comes in the door. If you don't make wedding cakes, you don't have to make them for anyone.

If you have a public restroom, you can't restrict it's use based on the background or beliefs of people using it. If you have a lunch counter, anyone can sit there. Anyone can sit in on any seat of the bus.

I don't know of any religion that prescribes who you can make a cake for, or who can sit at a lunch counter....
You don't have to serve everyone. If someone comes in and acts like an a-hole, you have every right to refuse service. You just can't refuse service solely based on a protected class designation like race.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:56 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,132,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
You don't have to serve everyone. If someone comes in and acts like an a-hole, you have every right to refuse service. You just can't refuse service solely based on a protected class designation like race.
Yes-- you're right. My point is you can't deny service based on race, religion, (and in some places) sexulaity/gender, no matter what your religion says.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:58 AM

684 posts, read 811,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Yes-- you're right. My point is you can't deny service based on race, religion, (and in some places) sexulaity/gender, no matter what your religion says.
And that is why religion needs to be kept in places of worship.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:03 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,034,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411 View Post
And that is why religion needs to be kept in places of worship.
Why? Religious freedom for those that live by their faith on days other than just Sunday have freedoms too in our country. What they hold dear to them and their faith and beliefs are and should be protected more than what they have been recently. Tolerance is a two way street, though that seems to have been thrown out the window lately.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:08 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Why? Religious freedom for those that live by their faith on days other than just Sunday have freedoms too in our country. What they hold dear to them and their faith and beliefs are and should be protected more than what they have been recently. Tolerance is a two way street, though that seems to have been thrown out the window lately.
Yes, but religion is not carte blanche to do what you please. You can't engage in illegal activity under the guise of religion.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:24 AM

678 posts, read 846,704 times
No religion advises illegal activity, anyways. I can't think of an example. Usually the "Golden Rule" inhibits it.

And whether we like it or not, our "secular" laws were highly inspired by the Abrahamic religions.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:29 AM

684 posts, read 811,994 times
Quote:

And people do, nobody is going to jail because you are practicing your beliefs.

When it comes to doing business in a country that has freedoms and such diversity thats where things get sticky. Sorry, but when you refuse business to someone due to race or religious reasons that is straight up discrimination. Also being a business owner in the food industry previously, i personally had no problem serving ANYONE.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:43 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,417,373 times
Quote:
You can practice your religion, whether you are a Christian Fundamentalist or Wiccan, as you see fit...UNTIL you start infringing on the rights of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut