Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 01:28 AM

3 posts, read 14,517 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm moving from NorthWest to Connecticut in early June with my wife and 1 year old daughter. I'm taking a new job in Windsor and looking for good apartments with decent Indian community. My priority is safety and good neighborhood with access to shops and essentials. I don't mind commuting a bit to my work but looking for good apartments. I heard about areas like Manchester has few apartment communities with Indians like pavilions, aspen woods. Would like to hear some opinions on them.

Also I came across an apartment named Mansions in Vernon and we liked it compared to these in Manchester. How is iVernon compared to Manchester and is there Indians in that community. My budget is around $1200-1300. Also if there is better areas I would like hear about them as we'll.

Thanks--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 10:02 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
The Mansions are very nice from what I have heard but I am not sure if there are many Indian families there. There are a couple of complexes in Manchester that have Indian families and I am sure that people here can tell you which ones have more than others. Jay

Old 05-18-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The Mansions are very nice from what I have heard but I am not sure if there are many Indian families there. There are a couple of complexes in Manchester that have Indian families and I am sure that people here can tell you which ones have more than others. Jay

Thanks Jay for the response!

I'm aware of the apartment communities in Manchester which has Indian families, but what I'm trying to understand is which area is better, Manchester vs Vernon. We like the The Mansions in Vernon very much compared to the one's in Manchester but looks like the neighborhood is better here compared to Vernon. Also commute to my work place in Windsor is little longer from Vernon compared to Manchester.

Thanks--

Old 05-18-2015, 02:54 PM

I would say Manchester and Vernon are comparable. What complexes in Manchester were you considering? The ones in the Buckland Hills area are all decent. The only problem there is that traffic can be difficult particularly around the Christmas holiday season. You are right that Manchester is a little easier to commute to Windsor than Vernon. Jay

Old 05-18-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I would say Manchester and Vernon are comparable. What complexes in Manchester were you considering? The ones in the Buckland Hills area are all decent. The only problem there is that traffic can be difficult particularly around the Christmas holiday season. You are right that Manchester is a little easier to commute to Windsor than Vernon. Jay
I was looking at the The Pavilions, Aspen woods , Waterford Commons in Manchester. Not much of good reviews on all the 3 apartments but Pavilions seems to be decent out of all and also has some pretty good Indian community presence. But the rent goes to $1500 for a 2B/2B where as The Mansions in Vernon looks to be a way better apartment community with rents less by $150/month for the same 2B/2B. I'm not sure which one to pick and confused now

Old 05-18-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroun View Post
I was looking at the The Pavilions, Aspen woods , Waterford Commons in Manchester. Not much of good reviews on all the 3 apartments but Pavilions seems to be decent out of all and also has some pretty good Indian community presence. But the rent goes to $1500 for a 2B/2B where as The Mansions in Vernon looks to be a way better apartment community with rents less by $150/month for the same 2B/2B. I'm not sure which one to pick and confused now
A couple of things to keep in mind, online reviews are almost always negative because only people with complaints will bother to post.

The Pavilions is located right in the heart of the retail area so traffic will be tougher there than the others. The others are located away from the worst of it. Only you can decide which is best for you and your family. Good luck. Jay.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:28 PM

837 posts, read 2,081,953 times
It's farther than the recommended suggestions but Century Hills in Middletown (and frankly, that whole immediate area) has a huge Indian community. That said, I still think the Vernon and Manchester recommendations make more sense for you and your family so this is more of an FYI.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:08 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,830,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
It's farther than the recommended suggestions but Century Hills in Middletown (and frankly, that whole immediate area) has a huge Indian community. That said, I still think the Vernon and Manchester recommendations make more sense for you and your family so this is more of an FYI.
Century Hills is in ROCKY HILL.

Other locations you may consider with Indian families are

Stepney Place in Rocky Hill

Stepny Place Apartments - Rocky Hill, CT 06067 | Apartments for Rent

Rivers Bend in Windsor

Rivers Bend Apartments - One Phaeton Street - Windsor - EquityApartments.com

Old 05-19-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
I would NEVER recommend that someone live in Rocky Hill and commute to Windsor. This would mean they have to commute through downtown Hartford which will be very difficult. Why do that every day if you do not have to. The OP is better off looking in the Manchester/Vernon area for a rental. The suggestion on Riverbend in Windsor is also good but I am not sure about the Indian community there. The OP needs to decide what is most important, large Indian community, distance to job or quality of apartment complex. Only they and their spouse can make that call. Jay

Old 05-19-2015, 09:48 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,957,434 times
Quote:
I would NEVER recommend that someone live in Rocky Hill and commute to Windsor. This would mean they have to commute through downtown Hartford which will be very difficult. Why do that every day if you do not have to. The OP is better off looking in the Manchester/Vernon area for a rental. The suggestion on Riverbend in Windsor is also good but I am not sure about the Indian community there. The OP needs to decide what is most important, large Indian community, distance to job or quality of apartment complex. Only they and their spouse can make that call. Jay
It's not terrible - I've been going up from the shoreline to the Windsor area several times in recent months. There is a sign on 91 North around Exit 24 (Rocky Hill/Wethersfield) that indicates current traffic times to various destinations. The longest delay I've ever seen listed on there has been 13 minutes to make the 8 mile drive to get to the exits for I-84, so it is basically a 5 minute delay assuming that normal traffic speed is about 60mph. This is making the trip anywhere between 7:45am and 8:30am. I actually find a bigger delay going past the lights on Route 9 in Middletown

Once you get past Exit 29 to 84 East and the Downtown Hartford exit 29A, there is very rarely any traffic up to Windsor unless there is an accident.

Additionally, if you live in Rocky Hill and hear about an accident on 91 North, you can just shoot up the Silas Deane Highway or take some back roads through Wethersfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut