Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2018, 02:30 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
Lot of bridge repairs on that list.
Yes, Connecticut has a lot of bridges. That is why the cost of highway construction is high here. Bridges are expensive to repair. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 02:55 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Yes, Connecticut has a lot of bridges. That is why the cost of highway construction is high here. Bridges are expensive to repair. Jay
Every state with a real winter has the same problem. Road salt and freeze-thaw are tough on bridges.

Old 09-29-2018, 04:03 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
You can check CTDOT’s 5 Year Plan for more information on projects. Keep in mind though, projects are added and removed as things change on them. Jay

https://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/docum...plan_intro.pdf
Nice. So page 19 starts the public transit spending. A lot of these are rehabilitation, track improvements and station enhancements and expansions or those for bus and paratransit as well as a lot of pedestrian improvements at different stations. There also seems to be second track construction going along briskly for the Hartford Line in order to improve reliability and will also allow for higher frequencies and the purchase of 60 M8 cars.

The Barnum station in Bridgeport on the New Haven Line has a TIGER grant awarded to it so there's some federal and state funding pushing it this year so this is currently moving forward.

I saw some Hartford Line miscellaneous stuff, but it's unclear if that covers any of those infill stations.

Old 09-29-2018, 04:15 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Nice. So page 19 starts the public transit spending. A lot of these are rehabilitation, track improvements and station enhancements and expansions or those for bus and paratransit as well as a lot of pedestrian improvements at different stations. There also seems to be second track construction going along briskly for the Hartford Line in order to improve reliability and will also allow for higher frequencies and the purchase of 60 M8 cars.

The Barnum station in Bridgeport on the New Haven Line has a TIGER grant awarded to it so there's some federal and state funding pushing it this year so this is currently moving forward.

I saw some Hartford Line miscellaneous stuff, but it's unclear if that covers any of those infill stations.
There no money for Barunum station

https://www.ctpost.com/local/article...d-12477394.php

Old 09-29-2018, 05:00 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
The current gas tax has not been raised in nearly 20 years. Vehicle fuel efficiency is increasing so the gas tax is giving us less money.
Do you have a source for "gas tax giving us less money"? There are a lot more cars on the road than 20 years ago and a much higher percentage of SUVs and big trucks than there use to be. While they certainly get better gas milage than they used to, it's still nowhere near the milage a smaller car will get.

<edit> I did find this. It doesn't show retail sales, but it does show sales volume of suppliers. If you look at the chart below the graph, it goes to 2017.

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/Le...C100011091&f=A

Last edited by WouldLoveTo; 09-29-2018 at 05:20 PM..

Old 09-30-2018, 05:13 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,183,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Do you have a source for "gas tax giving us less money"? There are a lot more cars on the road than 20 years ago and a much higher percentage of SUVs and big trucks than there use to be. While they certainly get better gas milage than they used to, it's still nowhere near the milage a smaller car will get.

<edit> I did find this. It doesn't show retail sales, but it does show sales volume of suppliers. If you look at the chart below the graph, it goes to 2017.

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/Le...C100011091&f=A
Very interesting. Great find.
Gas adjusted for inflation is cheap. Only when prices spike higher does consumption slow down were told. Didnt bother to correlate that with chart.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Very interesting. Great find.
Gas adjusted for inflation is cheap. Only when prices spike higher does consumption slow down were told. Didnt bother to correlate that with chart.
I'm not sure that data would be accurate unless you know how many cars are on the road. I tried to find data on how many registrations were in the state by year but came up short.

There was a big dip in volume in 2014 but I'm not sure what that was for.

I remember articles when the prices were higher, about people going back to smaller cars, and then going back to "gas guzzlers" when prices dropped again.

Highest gas prices were July 2008. This chart doesn't go back that far but it still doesn't explain 2014

https://www.gasbuddy.com/Charts

(unfortunately it didn't save what I did, you'll have to scroll down and hit the 10 year button)

Personally I've seen the parking lot at Glastonbury High School explode with student cars in the past 15 years (I used to workout on the track in the morning and stopped a few years ago when I couldn't find a parking spot). I also see that with a lot of friends in the past 10 years: as soon as a kid is 16-17 they get a car because now mom AND dad work and it takes a load off the parents for the kid to be able to get themselves home from after-school practice.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:45 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
I think a State Car tax of 25 cents for every $10 on the highest value vehicle owned and a 10 has tax would suffice

Old 09-30-2018, 09:22 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I'm not sure that data would be accurate unless you know how many cars are on the road. I tried to find data on how many registrations were in the state by year but came up short.

There was a big dip in volume in 2014 but I'm not sure what that was for.

I remember articles when the prices were higher, about people going back to smaller cars, and then going back to "gas guzzlers" when prices dropped again.

Highest gas prices were July 2008. This chart doesn't go back that far but it still doesn't explain 2014

https://www.gasbuddy.com/Charts

(unfortunately it didn't save what I did, you'll have to scroll down and hit the 10 year button)

Personally I've seen the parking lot at Glastonbury High School explode with student cars in the past 15 years (I used to workout on the track in the morning and stopped a few years ago when I couldn't find a parking spot). I also see that with a lot of friends in the past 10 years: as soon as a kid is 16-17 they get a car because now mom AND dad work and it takes a load off the parents for the kid to be able to get themselves home from after-school practice.
That is correct. Plus these are daily receipts not total. That would tell a more complete story. Even that though does not matter really. I doubt anyone can argue that vehicles are less fuel efficient than they were 20 years ago or that a dollar today buys the same as it did 20 years ago. Just makes sense that something needs to be done. Jay

Old 09-30-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
That is correct. Plus these are daily receipts not total. That would tell a more complete story. Even that though does not matter really. I doubt anyone can argue that vehicles are less fuel efficient than they were 20 years ago or that a dollar today buys the same as it did 20 years ago. Just makes sense that something needs to be done. Jay
I didn't say vehicles are less efficient.

But there are more vehicles on the road, and sales of SUVs and trucks are much higher than they were when gas prices were higher.

Even though they are more efficient than 20 years ago, for the most part, SUVs and trucks get worse milage than cars.

So is there an actual source for "gas tax giving us less money", or was that just an assumption based on more fuel efficiency?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut