Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2019, 08:45 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times

Advertisements

Also on this pdf

https://www.ct2030.com/wp-content/up...t-Nov-6-v2.pdf

"new structures 29 @ charter oak bridge" East Hartford

The day after that toll goes live traffic on the Putnam bridge will at least double if not triple.

I personally will never pay a dollar to cross a new charter oak bridge unless I was in some type of emergency situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 08:46 AM

996 posts, read 378,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
So you don’t think any of the improvement projects proposed as part of CT2030 are needed?

Keep in mind that without tolls, none of these would likely be built in our lifetime. You may not care but I’m sure the hundreds of thousands of drivers do.

If we do not proceed with this, exactly what do you think we should do? Should we continue the current bandaid approach that has done little to address improving our highways? Or should we go forward with the unsustainable Republican plan that borrows billions with no way to pay for it other than to raise the gas tax? It’s easy to say no, but without a realistic alternative proposal you are jousting blowing smoke. Jay
Of course they are needed. Since the day roads have been built they have always needed maintenance and repair.

All of it can be built in our lifetime by cutting spending and just increasing the present gasoline tax. Right up the street , name brand gas is $ 2.53 per gallon. Because of the present POTUS administration's policies, we are now a world leader in oil production . That will most likely ensure low prices for the future unless a new administration walks us back to high prices , gas lines, shortages and a California environment.

With prices this low, the State of CT is leaving money on the table. Start with a nickel a gallon. Consumers will hardly notice it.

I really don't care. The best " transportation plan " is to simply relocate to areas in the state that don't have you sitting in traffic , sitting in railroad cars in a system using 80 year old technology in many cases, and avoiding tolls.

Better yet, live near the Mass border. With Stop and Shop Gas points I filled up with Shell regular @ $ 1.63 per gallon yesterday. And I didn't have to pay any tolls to get there.While I was there , I purchased beer and wine, and saved a bundle. Even the cases of water I bought at Costco were cheaper by a nickel a bottle. No deposit.

The gas Tax is the ticket. EV vehicles for the common person are decades away.

Old 11-08-2019, 09:09 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuele View Post
Of course they are needed. Since the day roads have been built they have always needed maintenance and repair.

All of it can be built in our lifetime by cutting spending and just increasing the present gasoline tax. Right up the street , name brand gas is $ 2.53 per gallon. Because of the present POTUS administration's policies, we are now a world leader in oil production . That will most likely ensure low prices for the future unless a new administration walks us back to high prices , gas lines, shortages and a California environment.

With prices this low, the State of CT is leaving money on the table. Start with a nickel a gallon. Consumers will hardly notice it.

I really don't care. The best " transportation plan " is to simply relocate to areas in the state that don't have you sitting in traffic , sitting in railroad cars in a system using 80 year old technology in many cases, and avoiding tolls.

Better yet, live near the Mass border. With Stop and Shop Gas points I filled up with Shell regular @ $ 1.63 per gallon yesterday. And I didn't have to pay any tolls to get there.While I was there , I purchased beer and wine, and saved a bundle. Even the cases of water I bought at Costco were cheaper by a nickel a bottle. No deposit.

The gas Tax is the ticket. EV vehicles for the common person are decades away.
You do realize that raising the gas tax places virtually the entire burden of these improvements cost on the residents of our state? Tolls would not do that.

Also a nickel a gallon is not nearly enough to provide the revenue needed to support this type of investment. I would think you are talking about doubling the current gas tax to do that. Personally I’d much rather go with tolls so that out of state drivers pay their fair share. Jay

Old 11-08-2019, 09:12 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,622 times
https://www.middletownpress.com/news...k-14818749.php

Have to admire the chutzpah of putting a toll on the small section of 684 that goes through CT.

Old 11-08-2019, 09:23 AM

996 posts, read 378,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You do realize that raising the gas tax places virtually the entire burden of these improvements cost on the residents of our state? Tolls would not do that.

Also a nickel a gallon is not nearly enough to provide the revenue needed to support this type of investment. I would think you are talking about doubling the current gas tax to do that. Personally I’d much rather go with tolls so that out of state drivers pay their fair share. Jay
I don't care about out of state drivers. Truckers pay now, and the vast majority of " wear and tear " on the roads, discounting trucks , is from the weather. Water being the biggest culprit.

Okay, then raise it 10 cents, 15 cents. With prices this low, with fuel economy in ICE so good with modern vehicles and hybrids, the damage is limited compared to the past.

I am currently averaging nearly 34 MPG in my daily commute. And I don't drive on the interstate highways. That is an improvement of 3 MPG from my previous vehicle.

Consumers will adjust their behavior when gas prices threaten their comfort level. That is a proven fact. Tolls are just another new reach into the pockets of residents.

Old 11-08-2019, 09:46 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post

Have to admire the chutzpah of putting a toll on the small section of 684 that goes through CT.
This is really a border toll. The reaction to it is just what the Federal Highway Administration is trying to avoid. I doubt they will allow its installation. It is however a bridge that needs improvement and it does not really serve Connecticut residents. Will see. Jay

Old 11-08-2019, 11:03 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
I wonder how this will effect local traffic in Waterbury

Commute takes me through I-84 to Route 8 North & South

I could easily avoid this with a little longer commute through Waterbury.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:36 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,182,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post

It's in Connecticut and maintained by CTDOT, i.e. paid for by Connecticut taxpayers. The toll opponents are effectively arguing that they want Connecticut to subsidize New Yorkers' roads. Alternately, the two states could work out a change in jurisdiction to NYSDOT, like the piece of I-86 that cuts through South Waverly, Pennsylvania.

Old 11-08-2019, 02:26 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I wonder how this will effect local traffic in Waterbury

Commute takes me through I-84 to Route 8 North & South

I could easily avoid this with a little longer commute through Waterbury.
I can imagine the line of cars streaming off the highway on 84 west exit 26 now.

I don't know if it will be any worse than it was during construction, but if they put a toll on 8 AND one on 84 it could potentially be pretty rough. I would wonder about the accessibility of both hospitals.

The one on 8 would need to be further south, like in Oxford, for it to be difficult to dodge and not substantially impact local traffic flow.

Old 11-08-2019, 02:36 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
I can imagine the line of cars streaming off the highway on 84 west exit 26 now.

I don't know if it will be any worse than it was during construction, but if they put a toll on 8 AND one on 84 it could potentially be pretty rough. I would wonder about the accessibility of both hospitals.

The one on 8 would need to be further south, like in Oxford, for it to be difficult to dodge and not substantially impact local traffic flow.
I could dodge it for 8 easily. At a point be more miles, gas, and time. 84 to 8 is little more easier as there is 3 to 4 ways I know of. Be an influx of traffic in Waterbury. Feel that they were ready for this with that new road they built adjacent to Reidville Dr in Waterbury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut