Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2016, 10:01 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but I noticed that all the exit numbering on I-395 has been changed to correspond with mileage, as is typically done in other states. So now, instead of going from 76 to 100 it goes from 2 to 53. It's just so weird to see mileage-based exit numbering in CT. I mean, it skips exit numbers, which is weird to see in CT. The exit numbers are as follows: 2, 5, 6, 9, 11, 13A, 13B, 14, 18, 19, 21, 22, 24, 28, 29, 32, 35, 37, 38, 41, 43, 45, 46, 47, 49, 50, 53.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 10:26 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
I wrote this in a different thread before. I think CT should create a public transportation link between Hartford and Stamford. Maybe by using the fast track bus from Hartford to Waterbury then transfer to Metro north train. If they could make this trip 60-75 minutes I think a lot of people would tolerate that.

It would also open up a lot of job opportunities for people in the Hartford area. Currently, it's not feasible to drive this route especially during rush hours. These two cities are the job centers in the state and I don't think that will change any time soon.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:39 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I wrote this in a different thread before. I think CT should create a public transportation link between Hartford and Stamford. Maybe by using the fast track bus from Hartford to Waterbury then transfer to Metro north train. If they could make this trip 60-75 minutes I think a lot of people would tolerate that.

It would also open up a lot of job opportunities for people in the Hartford area. Currently, it's not feasible to drive this route especially during rush hours. These two cities are the job centers in the state and I don't think that will change any time soon.
It pretty much is linked but you'll have to go through other cities to get there. Once the Hartford line is done you'll have the option to take a train from Hartford to New Haven then from New Haven to Stamford.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:43 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:

CT should get tolls at New York Border I-95/I-84 and I-91/I-84 Massachusetts and I-95 Rhode Island Border

$5 dollars but you cant trust CT with money.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:55 AM

854 posts, read 1,242,179 times
This is one of those situations where the headline does not match the story. Penn Station and Grand Central will not actually be connected. Such a project was estimated to cost $400 billion. We just don't have that type of money right now.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but I noticed that all the exit numbering on I-395 has been changed to correspond with mileage, as is typically done in other states. So now, instead of going from 76 to 100 it goes from 2 to 53. It's just so weird to see mileage-based exit numbering in CT. I mean, it skips exit numbers, which is weird to see in CT. The exit numbers are as follows: 2, 5, 6, 9, 11, 13A, 13B, 14, 18, 19, 21, 22, 24, 28, 29, 32, 35, 37, 38, 41, 43, 45, 46, 47, 49, 50, 53.
Exit numbers are not necessary in the age of GPS and Waze. Our roads are full of drivers that are just following their GPS and are not paying attention to exit numbers. They'll exit when the mechanical voice tells them to exit - the exit number doesn't matter.

In fact, I would be willing to bet that half the drivers in the state wouldn't be able to drive to their own jobs or to the local grocery store in the absence of GPS.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:06 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,089,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtby4000 View Post
Exit numbers are not necessary in the age of GPS and Waze. Our roads are full of drivers that are just following their GPS and are not paying attention to exit numbers. They'll exit when the mechanical voice tells them to exit - the exit number doesn't matter.

In fact, I would be willing to bet that half the drivers in the state wouldn't be able to drive to their own jobs or to the local grocery store in the absence of GPS.
What a warped sense of reality this poster has...

Old 05-30-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
CT should get tolls at New York Border I-95/I-84 and I-91/I-84 Massachusetts and I-95 Rhode Island Border

$5 dollars but you cant trust CT with money.
I'm not against tolls, but there's far too much traffic volume between NY/CT on i-95 or the Merritt and between CT/MA on i-91 to make that feasible. It would add too much travel time and annoy all the commuters.

I'm not that familiar with SW CT, but in the north it would be very easy to bypass a toll on i-91 via RT 75 and RT 20. I'm sure every 18 wheeler would use those routes to bypass a toll. Both routes basically go directly to BDL (Rt 75 being the best option) and I don't think the towns and residents along these routes would accept the increase in traffic.

I wrote it hear before, but if CT was serious about tolls, they would place tolls on all the bridges that cross the CT river, since you can not drive around a bridge. For whatever reason the state didn't even consider this. They had the perfect opportunity when the Q bridge was rebuilt and the Putnam bridge was retrofitted/improved in Wethersfield - Glastonbury.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
It pretty much is linked but you'll have to go through other cities to get there. Once the Hartford line is done you'll have the option to take a train from Hartford to New Haven then from New Haven to Stamford.
I'd like to see the travel time, but I don't think they have published any schedules yet. Amtrak from Hartford to New Haven is approx 40-45 Minutes. So given the current schedule I don't think they can keep it under 75 minutes (Hartford to Stamford) Perhaps they will add some express trains in the future.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I'm not against tolls, but there's far too much traffic volume between NY/CT on i-95 or the Merritt and between CT/MA on i-91 to make that feasible. It would add too much travel time and annoy all the commuters.
How would tolls add to travel time? This would be open-road tolling (ORT), so increase in travel time will be zero seconds. Or am I missing something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut