Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should I do?
Stay in CT 19 24.05%
Move to OH 60 75.95%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 05:53 PM

34,077 posts, read 17,119,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I was planning to end my job search on July 31st anyway and call it quits and just move into another apartment here in Norwalk. The likelihood of another, better offer coming along within these next 7 weeks isn't worth waiting around for, in my opinion. Plus, I really don't feel like making another trip to Columbus for interviews.

I'm not going to nitpick about the offer. It's really not a bad offer, the more I think about it. Not amazing, but still not bad IMO. And I fully expect that I will exceed expectations and possibly get a market adjustment or raise next year. Also, the company has been continuously improving their benefits package year by year. I mean, it's a rapidly growing company. So, I'm thinking long term.

The best benefit I see in this situation is that I get to move to Columbus!
Amen, and when at least one of GE, AETNA, and Travelers move, the weak Ct job market you faced would have been substantially worse.

PS: Columbus unemployment rate I stated incorrectly at 4%. It is 3.8%.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:39 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,424,170 times
Quote:

The best benefit I see in this situation is that I get to move to Columbus!
The best benefit is that you get to LEAVE CT. In fact, if Malloy follows through with the tax hikes and these companies with their threats then there will be no CT for you to come back to. So once you're out, you may be out for good.

Last edited by Sigequinox; 06-11-2015 at 07:17 PM..

Old 06-11-2015, 07:35 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,459,631 times
Just skimming a lot of the above analyses, it appears that a lot of the "experts" have it wrong.

What you want to look at is after-tax income. When you do that, COL becomes much more important.

After, itemized deductions, especially mortgage interest, federal income taxes likely will be higher in CT, as NEP says he wouldn't purchase a home in CT until much later, and instead will be paying rent in place of paying principal and deductible mortgage interest.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:00 PM

4,321 posts, read 4,212,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Just skimming a lot of the above analyses, it appears that a lot of the "experts" have it wrong.
Have what wrong?

Quote:
What you want to look at is after-tax income.
Ok, I'm looking at that, then what?

Quote:
What you want to look at is after-tax income. When you do that, COL becomes much more important.
No idea what you're saying. It seems that you are separating taxes (state and local) from COL. But they are not separable. It's like saying "I want Pizza without dough..."

Furthermore, aren't the other forms of taxation (sales tax, property tax, etc. etc.) part of the COL? So why not consider these?

Quote:
After, itemized deductions, especially mortgage interest, federal income taxes likely will be higher in CT, as NEP says he wouldn't purchase a home in CT until much later, and instead will be paying rent in place of paying principal and deductible mortgage interest.
We know he can get to deduct mortgage interest if he itemizes. This usually is about 21 cents to a dollar. In other words if I itemize $ 5k in mortgage interest, I basically get $ 1,050 off in tax.

So that $ 1,050 should enter the calulcation, among 35 other variables...

Now OP does a second spreadsheet -- which lists other factors, most non-financial, gives each a score, including the financial side, adds them up and voila -- that's his decision.

Mind you, OP did not really go through this. I don't doubt that he would move even for a worse offer. For Pete's sake, OP has moved before even without a job. He is a restless soul. Soon enough, he will move out of Columbus too.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:04 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,965,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Have what wrong?

Ok, I'm looking at that, then what?

No idea what you're saying. It seems that you are separating taxes (state and local) from COL. But they are not separable. It's like saying "I want Pizza without dough..."

Furthermore, aren't the other forms of taxation (sales tax, property tax, etc. etc.) part of the COL? So why not consider these?

We know he can get to deduct mortgage interest if he itemizes. This usually is about 21 cents to a dollar. In other words if I itemize $ 5k in mortgage interest, I basically get $ 1,050 off in tax.

So that $ 1,050 should enter the calulcation, among 35 other variables...

Now OP does a second spreadsheet -- which lists other factors, most non-financial, gives each a score, including the financial side, adds them up and voila -- that's his decision.

Mind you OP did not really go through this. I don't doubt that he would move even for a worse offer. For Pete's sake, OP has moved before even without a job. He is a restless soul. Soon enough, he will move out of Columbus too.
If the offer was significantly worse, then no....I would not accept it.

I also want to point out that I received another offer for $2K more in salary, but only 12 days of PTO, and it was for a senior level position, but the work life balance sucks. Instead, I chose the job that pays slightly less and has 2 extra PTO days and good work life balance.

I don't care either way. Money is a tool to achieve things you want in life. And I'll still be able to achieve all that I want with the salary and benefits offered -- whether it be buying a home or meeting my retirement savings goal.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
If the offer was significantly worse, then no....I would not accept it.

I also want to point out that I received another offer for $2K more in salary, but only 12 days of PTO, and it was for a senior level position, but the work life balance sucks. Instead, I chose the job that pays slightly less and has 2 extra PTO days and good work life balance.

I don't care either way. Money is a tool to achieve things you want in life. And I'll still be able to achieve all that I want with the salary and benefits offered -- whether it be buying a home or meeting my retirement savings goal.
Nep, I have defended your decision-making. When others were all over you urging you to decide, I said "why do you have to decide?"

It is clear you made a lifestyle decision, not a financial decision, although financially you are still doing pretty good.

I applaud you for your motivation. People should decide what's best for their entire well-being, not simply money. You're absolutely right, and Jay is wrong.

And if in 3-4 years you pack up and leave Columbus, there is nothing wrong with that. Some people are sedentary, some people move. No one is good or bad.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Nep, I have defended your decision-making. When others were all over you urging you to decide, I said "why do you have to decide?"

It is clear you made a lifestyle decision, not a financial decision, although financially you are still doing pretty good.

I applaud you for your motivation. People should decide what's best for their entire well-being, not simply money. You're absolutely right, and Jay is wrong.

And if in 3-4 years you pack up and leave Columbus, there is nothing wrong with that. Some people are sedentary, some people move. No one is good or bad.
That's what I figure, too. Even if I only stay in Columbus for 3-5 years, who cares? I'd rather be there, renting an apartment than here in FFC renting all those years anyway. It's just a better quality of life there for a middle class income. The city is very vibrant, too. Nothing in CT comes even close, sadly.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:52 PM

I'm just afraid of how my coworkers are going to react when I tell them that I'm moving to Ohio. All of them are sophisticated NYC lovers who will probably make fun of my choice.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:58 PM

402 posts, read 687,155 times
Quote:
I'm just afraid of how my coworkers are going to react when I tell them that I'm moving to Ohio. All of them are sophisticated NYC lovers who will probably make fun of my choice.
why on earth do you care about that when you are leaving. man up a bit

Old 06-11-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Who cares?! Some will be jealous. When I went to Columbus a few years back I was very impressed how good that city was. Full of young people, optimistic, cool, relaxed. Nothing in CT, or even Tri-state area compares to it.

Besides, whatcha gotta lose -- you don't have kids and wife to uproot, schools to worry about, nothing. You're by yourself. You pack, you unpack, you're there.

You don't like it? You move again. So what!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut