Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 11:49 AM

98 posts, read 111,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
I find that driving experiences are a good measure of the shared value system of a local culture. While by no means no most inconsiderate that I have encountered, Connecticut does rank pretty high (Boston and N.Y.C. much more inconsiderate, while Chicago/Midwest and West coast much more considerate).

Why? When people are raised to only think about themselves then that is who they think of when they are driving. There isn't much room left for consideration of others.
I"m actually from NYC and am in shock at how inconsiderate and what awful drivers the people in this state are. Like I really can't believe it. NYC there are some major Aholes but mostly people are aggressive drivers and speed, etc. but you don't have to worry about deer jumping in front of your car so it's kinda the norm. Plus city folks are just known to live fast paced life styles always rushing to get to where they need to and people that don't drive in the city regularly get easily overwhelmed. I've been here ten months and can't believe how inconsiderate the people are. I work late and often have to drive on back roads in pitch black where animals are jumping out all the time so naturally I am extra cautious and I can't get over how many people tailgate, and I'm not driving super super slow. It really took me by surprise when I first moved here and now it just pisses me off royally. I would actually rather the insane traffic jams that NYC had vs these inconsiderate low lives. But I've noticed that many people I Have met from here are just as inconsiderate in their daily lives as they are driving, so you may be on to something when you say it's a value system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 09:07 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,924 times
I also try to be careful at night, due to animals running into the road, and lately some newer vehicles have really blinding lights. But inevitably someone is tailgating me. I have been at red lights, intending to go straight, when the light turns green, and the vehicle behind me is blowing the horn, while the light is red. Just this week, I was the third car at a red light, which turned green, but a fire engine was approaching on the cross street, a state road, with lights and siren going, the vehicle behind me was blowing the horn before the fire engine even got thru the intersection, as if the vehicles in fronti of me were supposed to pull into the path of a fire engine! These people are so angry and impatient and think the world revolves around them.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:12 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,163,979 times
Why does practically everyone break the speed limit?

Because the speed limit is set too low.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:38 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
I also try to be careful at night, due to animals running into the road, and lately some newer vehicles have really blinding lights. But inevitably someone is tailgating me. I have been at red lights, intending to go straight, when the light turns green, and the vehicle behind me is blowing the horn, while the light is red. Just this week, I was the third car at a red light, which turned green, but a fire engine was approaching on the cross street, a state road, with lights and siren going, the vehicle behind me was blowing the horn before the fire engine even got thru the intersection, as if the vehicles in fronti of me were supposed to pull into the path of a fire engine! These people are so angry and impatient and think the world revolves around them.
I said it before in a different thread too, but if you're driving at night a lot of people DO NOT stop at blinking red lights. I don't know why anyone thinks this is safe. At a lot of these intersections the thru traffic has blinking yellow lights so they don't have to stop. Where I live the police could write a lot of tickets at night by just staking out a few intersections.

Similarly, when traffic lights aren't working at an intersection (maybe a power outage) people fly right thru the intersection. Don't know why someone would do that. You're supposed to stop.
This behavior makes me wonder what is being taught in driving schools nowadays.

P.S. When I say driving at night I mean after 11pm.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:35 AM

160 posts, read 446,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Why does practically everyone break the speed limit?

Because the speed limit is set too low.
Yes. The speed limit in CT is very unsafe.

When 90% of people are going 70-75 -- a comfortable safe cruising speed, you have 1-2 going 55 IS VERY DANGEROUS.

When everyone is going the same speed limit, you are MUCH safer. When there are gaps in travelling speeds is when you have accidents. Speed limit should be raised to 70 MPH.

As far as tailgating goes, I feel like those people just aren't smart in the slightest and have no common sense. I mean why would you want to wreck your car god forbid the guy in front of you has to slam on their brakes? Why do you want to crash as well? 100% avoidable by just keeping a safe distance.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:40 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The fatality rate went DOWN the first year (and years thereafter) the 55 limit was abolished in the mid-1990s. So much for "speed kills".
It has far less to do with speed than it does with safety designed and built into modern vehicles.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:15 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
The 55 mile-per-hour speed limit was an arbitrary number that the Federal government came up with back in the 70's to save gas. This resulted in something like 90 percent of the traveling public breaking the speed limit at one time or another. If you follow this kind of convoluted logic, the speed limit should be dropped to 20 miles per hour to save even more lives. People drive on a road as fast as they feel comfortable driving. Modern highways are designed for 70 mile-per-hour or higher speeds so how can you expect people to drive at such a low rate of speed. Kind of stupid IMHO. Jay

Old 06-23-2015, 02:08 PM

27 posts, read 23,078 times
Yes, I speed and tailgate aalllllll the time!! I have zero shame for it, will continue to do so and I'll tell you why!

1. 55 mph Speed Limit. It's absolutely ridiculous and outdated.... here in CT 55 is a recommendation. I'm sorry you didn't get the memo! I've driven up 75 on all the major highways here and never gotten a ticket! (Maybe because we fully fund our police so they don't need to fill budget gaps w/ tickets but that's for a different thread)

2. Rich/Old folk who don't give a f*&%. When your husband makes 6 figures and you're a stay-at-home mom you tend to drive however you want! Ditto for anyone above 65 here. This leads to a mistaken tendency by some to drive 55 in the fast lane..... hence tailgating is the CT way of saying "MOVE OVER!!!!"

3. Out of state drivers!!!! No... none of you! You don't pay for the roads here, you liter, you don't even have to stop in the state for gas and each and every one of you slowly deteriorates the nice roads my taxes pay for. Do we get thank yous or kudos? NO just some out-of-stater making broad generalizations because they had a negative experience with 1 or 2 of the 4 million people who live here.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:54 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,145 times
The thing is, 70- 80 mph in CT isn't the same as 70- 80 mph in say, MT, our lanes are narrow, our exits and on ramps are sudden and frequent, and we have a lot of traffic. The roads may be designed for higher speeds but add in construction, potholes, semis, and bad drivers and it's pretty much dangerous at any speed.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:09 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
I drive fast, somewhere around 80, but because of my age (55) and admitting and being accountable for losing a step or two in reaction time, I am trying real hard to start slowing down a bit. Yes it's a law. And based on much research police in most states seem to allow up to 9MPH above speed limit before they really try to pull you over.

Do I tailgate? I find myself doing it quite often. And why you ask? Is it because I'm inconsiderate? No, it's because the other drivers on the road have no clue how to drive.

Proper usage of lanes - I do not drive solely in the left lane regardless of my speed. On a 3-lane highway I ride the middle lane and use the left to pass. On a 2-lane highway I will only stay in the left if no one is behind me. Too many times I run into the left lane hugger who has no idea what a passing lane is. It does not mean go the same speed as the other lanes - it means pass.

I've been cut-off many times only to have the driver move like a snail. Yes that irks me, and sometimes I find myself tailgating.

Look, I know tailgating isn't smart. I don't give a crap if I'm making the person in front of me nervous, but I am also aware it is dangerous, so I know I need to curb doing it. I'm trying.

I wish people would just learn how to drive.

It doesn't help that I have a Hemi that like to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut