Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 08:28 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times

Advertisements

Been a CT resident for 28 year's. Moved from Bethel to Brookfield to Waterbury to Naugatuck and back to Waterbury over my 28 year's here. Never really explored the quiet corner of the state so can't give to much to go on... Only thing I can say is went up once to Pomfret for a day recently probably my favorite town in CT second to Niantic.

I enjoy CT as you have the option to be in the hill's and within an hour be on the beach. However, I do like Cape Cod beaches better. I am not sure about job market in the state. Been on health care lately been tricky going through layoffs. Really can't find much work in my field, but MA has more opportunities in my field pay's significantly less.

I like the fact CT is close to NYC...prefer NYC over Boston.

Though I think MA would win with most options to go for adventures with museums, the Big E, the Berkshires, Salem, near NH/VT/ME/RI/Albany NY. Better state to run in enjoy the outdoors.

Think from people I know they say taxes are significantly lower in MA then in CT.

Also tuition is cheaper in MA if a resident if a CT resident going to a CT college.

What's your feedback on who would win?

Massachusetts for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 08:34 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Been a CT resident for 28 year's. Moved from Bethel to Brookfield to Waterbury to Naugatuck and back to Waterbury over my 28 year's here. Never really explored the quiet corner of the state so can't give to much to go on... Only thing I can say is went up once to Pomfret for a day recently probably my favorite town in CT second to Niantic.

I enjoy CT as you have the option to be in the hill's and within an hour be on the beach. However, I do like Cape Cod beaches better. I am not sure about job market in the state. Been on health care lately been tricky going through layoffs. Really can't find much work in my field, but MA has more opportunities in my field pay's significantly less.

I like the fact CT is close to NYC...prefer NYC over Boston.

Though I think MA would win with most options to go for adventures with museums, the Big E, the Berkshires, Salem, near NH/VT/ME/RI/Albany NY. Better state to run in enjoy the outdoors.

Think from people I know they say taxes are significantly lower in MA then in CT.

Also tuition is cheaper in MA if a resident if a CT resident going to a CT college.

What's your feedback on who would win?

Massachusetts for me.

Only Stamford closer to NYC

Old 07-02-2015, 08:40 AM

453 posts, read 531,117 times
Mass - Boston, Cape Cod, Marthas Vineyard, Berkshires

I like CT, but I don't think it's much of a contest. I'll take UConn basketball though! A fairer contest would be CT versus RI.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:03 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
I think I choose CT over RI. If I get wait listed for nursing here on CT probably move up to Mass. Hoping to live in Mass. soon.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:17 AM

174 posts, read 172,710 times
There are two Massachusetts'.

Eastern MA vs CT, I prefer MA. Western MA vs CT, CT wins in my book.

MA also has significantly cheaper property taxes.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:30 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I've lived in both states and I'd take MA over CT.

CT is nice but more boring than MA. I like your beaches though like Hammonsett and I used to love to walk my cat (yup) on a beach, Rocky Neck, I think. I love Essex, CT and I love the area around Haddam, Goodspeed Opera House, etc. I MUCH prefer NYC to Boston so that's another plus.

But MA has the Cape in springtime. It's too expensive and crowded in the summer for me. But there is no place like the Cape. Other than the Cape Cod National Seashore I think most MA beaches are private or at least expensive to go to--and crowded. (not too sure about the CT beaches anymore, it's been a while.

MA has some good art museums but so does CT (Yale Museum of British Art and the Hillstead Museum in Farmington.)

But you get away from Boston in MA and it's wonderful and, unlike CT, unboring. There are beautiful rural areas that still have old fashioned farms and there are interesting areas like WMass aka CT River Valley with Northampton. There are beautiful, interesting places like Rockport and Gloucester.

There seem to be a lot more historic homes to tour in MA than in CT and there is Plimouth Plantation in Plymouth, Sturbridge Village, Historic Deerfield.

In MA you have better access to Maine and also VT and NH.

As for jobs, unfortunately they're mostly around Boston and that's a big downside. The COL of living there is outrageous and the commuting is said to be a nightmare. You might as well live in FF Country and get to go to NYC, that would be better.

Both states have old, rundown, ugly, dirty cities so that's equal.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:39 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've lived in both states and I'd take MA over CT.

CT is nice but more boring than MA. I like your beaches though like Hammonsett and I used to love to walk my cat (yup) on a beach, Rocky Neck, I think. I love Essex, CT and I love the area around Haddam, Goodspeed Opera House, etc. I MUCH prefer NYC to Boston so that's another plus.

But MA has the Cape in springtime. It's too expensive and crowded in the summer for me. But there is no place like the Cape. Other than the Cape Cod National Seashore I think most MA beaches are private or at least expensive to go to--and crowded. (not too sure about the CT beaches anymore, it's been a while.

MA has some good art museums but so does CT (Yale Museum of British Art and the Hillstead Museum in Farmington.)

But you get away from Boston in MA and it's wonderful and, unlike CT, unboring. There are beautiful rural areas that still have old fashioned farms and there are interesting areas like WMass aka CT River Valley with Northampton. There are beautiful, interesting places like Rockport and Gloucester.

There seem to be a lot more historic homes to tour in MA than in CT and there is Plimouth Plantation in Plymouth, Sturbridge Village, Historic Deerfield.

In MA you have better access to Maine and also VT and NH.

As for jobs, unfortunately they're mostly around Boston and that's a big downside. The COL of living there is outrageous and the commuting is said to be a nightmare. You might as well live in FF Country and get to go to NYC, that would be better.

Both states have old, rundown, ugly, dirty cities so that's equal.

Stamford area of FFC is more expensive than Boston

Old 07-02-2015, 09:57 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,125 times
MA wins in almost every category. Remember MA has Boston which is considered a world class city so it has many opportunities, jobs, things to do, and entertainment. CT's cities don't have that. The cities in CT have jobs; plenty of them, but the issue is that there's nothing that attracts people into the city except work. You have Hartford, New Haven, and Stamford which are medium sized cities but they are often overlooked because we are in between New York City and Boston.

Here's how I see it:
MA > CT
CT > RI

I do agree that RI vs CT is more logical than MA vs CT.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:32 AM

503 posts, read 530,726 times
The way I look at it, MA is very similar to CT, except colder, snowier, and has fewer vineyards (despite its much larger size). All of those key metrics move in the wrong direction. CT wins.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:46 AM

1,241 posts, read 903,301 times
Having tasted the wine at a number of CT vineyards, I cannot think they would be in a plus column aside from the scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut