Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 05:33 AM

52 posts, read 176,445 times

Advertisements

I love Ct. I love teh seasonal changes, the outdoor ice skating rinks, hiking, the many opportunities, the ability to allow your children to be themselves and accpted, I don't like the taxes, highway congestion during rush hour, but that is really it. I would say come and stay in the central part of ct for a long weekend, buy a map and be adventurous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 07:20 AM

490 posts, read 1,788,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliangel View Post
the ability to allow your children to be themselves and accpted,
____
Boy, I just moved in CT a little while ago and so far, my child is everything but accepted. We are NYkers and so far, personality has been squashed. Can't speak freely or joke (people ARE very serious here), all facial gestures are also frowned upon. There is nothing I like anymore about CT. Luckily, home is just next door.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:02 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,554 times
I love the beauty of CT, especially in the Fall. Four seasons, there so much to do too, indoors and outdoors. The job market for an IT person is quite robust, education is great. Sports teams galore. The list is endless. As far as the people go, I think the people in CT are GREAT!! Every place I have worked, major bank and a couple of insurance companies, the people were great. Very friendly and fun and outgoing. I was very happy to go to work every day as I liked what I was doing and the people were so much fun.

I always had good neighbors with one exception. I find people in NC to be far less friendly, so much for the theory on southern hospitality.

All in all, just a great place to raise a family.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:17 AM

271 posts, read 1,278,538 times
There are so many architectural gems in urban Connecticut. How about the State Capital in Hartford, Trinity Church in New Haven, or the Cass Gilbert buildings in Waterbury??? Not to mention all the great parks.

The natural beauty of the foothills of the Berkshire Mountains in the Northwest corner. It is amazing up there!

Seaside Park in Bridgeport.

The diversity for such a small state is impressive. Within a short 15 minute drive I could take you through thriving Polish, Peruvian, and Jamaican immigrant communities. Lets not forget all the great restaurants that are found in those immigrant enclaves!

CT has the best pizza in the world! Roseland Apizza is my fav, but there are great pizza places all over the state.

Great art is on view at the Yale Art Gallery, Wadsworth Museum of Art, and Hill-Stead Museum.

Last but not least....the people! Folks from CT are tough, intelligent, and kind!

Old 01-25-2008, 09:44 AM

136 posts, read 763,554 times
Having recently moved from nearby Toronto, Canada, I like the nature, the rolling hills, beaches, no traffic(I laugh when locals complain about traffic around here), close proximity to Boston and NYC(for all the NHL action, big concerts etc) if I really missed the big city feeling, good choices on healthy organic foods, shopping is good too considering that in Canada(Ontario) we pay 13% sales tax on pretty much everything.

People:
People are generally polite, maybe little bit too reserved than what I am used to, educated, smart even though few have asked me if it is REALLY cold in Toronto in July .

Homes:
I like the fact that most homes have fairly large lots with lots of trees but I must admit I am not a big fan of cape cod/colonial style homes with all the siding and what's up with all those oil furnaces in your basements?

Roads:
I must say your roads are in a way better shape than the ones in Ontario. Maybe it is the amount of salt thrown every winter around Toronto, I don't know but I have no complains about the ones in CT so far.

Taxes:
Yes, I was told that CT was not the most tax friendly state in the union but compared to what we were paying in Canada it is still great.

Overall, it is a positive feeling so far and I hope it stays that way. I realize it cannot be perfect anywhere you go in the world.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:01 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustamom View Post
I like the seasons, mountains, trees, fall colors, beaches, and the quaint New England feel in some of the smaller towns. Unlike everyone else though, close proximity to NYC and Boston are not a plus for us, we rarely visit those cities. And what I like least about Connecticut is that it is densely populated, especially in Fairfield County. I feel it is overdeveloped.
Parts of southwestern Connecticut may be somewhat overdeveloped
eastern Connecticut has for the most part kept its rural undeveloped quietness-

lets hope it stays that way.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:43 PM

313 posts, read 1,149,036 times
OK...I lived 11 mos in a small town outside Danbury (brookfield)...and it was enough to make an impression me. What I liked was the close sense of community and true quaintness of all the small towns...it is so pristine and rural driving from town to another. I felt half the time I was in a nature series of postcards...and well when it snowed...it was a stereotypical Christmas card. Despite what I had heard about New englanders being reserved, I was welcomed warmly for an outsider and having kids, I am sure, made that possible. I liked the close proximity of being able to go into NYC and spend the day. Sorta like living in the country and driving into the city to visit.

I found that people in general (families) wanted a wholesome community to bring their kids and appreciated the simplicity of the area. I couldnt handle the weather very well as the summers were more like a brief spring and the springs were like a prolonged winter...the snow wouldnt be gone until may...and THEN the trees and bushes finally come into bloom and what a beautiful sight it is after being in the winter season as early as Oct.
FYI the Brookfield had some of the highest ranking schools in the state. Another burb to consider is Glastonbury..outside Hartford.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:59 PM

164 posts, read 783,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Parts of southwestern Connecticut may be somewhat overdeveloped
eastern Connecticut has for the most part kept its rural undeveloped quietness-

lets hope it stays that way.
I wouldn't say they're overdeveloped because for the most part, the southwestern Connecticut towns have very strict zoning ordinances which helps the towns maintain their rural, leafy feel. Norwalk and Westport, IMO, are excluded from this statement. Those towns, I feel, are becoming overdeveloped.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:21 PM

8 posts, read 37,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_CT View Post
Sophisticated? Are you kidding me? I don't even need to tell you the many reasons why a genuine world class like New York is superior; it just is... people from Boston are so insecure about being less than New York. In Boston's case, it's O.K. to not be the best; Philly, Washington, and L.A. don't come close to the refined, cosmopolitan environment New York has to offer either; get used to it--it's just the way it is; straight up, NY is better and always will be.
As a Bostonian I somewhat agree with this, but what I have discovered is that the City of Cambridge has a lot more going for it in terms of sophistication and a much more funkier feel than anything that Boston has to offer. You could not ask for 2 cities that are complete opposites of each other, but are only separated by a river. If anyone is more partial to NY, I suggest spending time in Cambridge and you'll get to understand what I'm saying.

Last edited by pause; 01-25-2008 at 06:31 PM..

Old 01-25-2008, 06:36 PM

164 posts, read 783,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pause View Post
As a Bostonian I somewhat agree with this, but what I have discovered is that the City of Cambridge has a lot more going for it in terms of sophistication and a much more funkier feel than anything that Boston has to offer. You could not ask for 2 cities that are complete opposites of each other, but are only separated by a river. If anyone is more partial to NY, I suggest spending time in Cambridge and you'll get to understand what I'm saying.
Cambridge has the same sophistication that Middletown, CT has (home to Wesleyan U). I have spent time in Cambridge and completely understand what you mean - it is also similar to the artsy areas in New Haven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut