Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 07:54 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
West Hartford's Conard (not Conrad) beat out all other high schools? The rankings look suspect, IMO. However all of these lists appear to be complete and utter BS. Nothing but click bait. Again, I am not saying anything is wrong with EHHS, but I do live in the area. Anecdotally, I know no one who moved to East Hampton strictly because of their school system. It's usually more "I can get more house bang for my buck in East Hampton over other towns" kind of mentality. I do know people who moved to surrounding towns (Glastonbury, Marlborough and Hebron) because of theirs.
Not sure that list is correct? No way Conard beat out Westport or Ridgefield.

Take out the # system as it relates to schools and all those are good towns. Can't go wrong with any. Just depends on what you want. East Hampton is more remote, Avon/Glastonbury/Simsbury are your typical "white collar" burns and Souhington is a mix of white collar and blue collar with convenience. West Hartford is top ranked all the time and highly suggested so it's a good choice.

Don't let the numerical order throw you from a town. A kid will get a great education no matter if he/she is in a school ranked #1 or #31. The class offerings might be slightly different, but they will come out in the end with a great education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 08:37 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Not sure that list is correct? No way Conard beat out Westport or Ridgefield.

Take out the # system as it relates to schools and all those are good towns. Can't go wrong with any. Just depends on what you want. East Hampton is more remote, Avon/Glastonbury/Simsbury are your typical "white collar" burns and Souhington is a mix of white collar and blue collar with convenience. West Hartford is top ranked all the time and highly suggested so it's a good choice.

Don't let the numerical order throw you from a town. A kid will get a great education no matter if he/she is in a school ranked #1 or #31. The class offerings might be slightly different, but they will come out in the end with a great education.
I agree. Rankings like this mean little IMHO. I always say to find a "good school" look for one that performs above the state averages on the Connecticut Mastery or Connecticut Academic Performance Tests. If the school does not perform at or above the state average, then it can be suspect. Jay

Old 08-12-2015, 11:27 AM

62 posts, read 69,724 times
There are quite a few East Hampton homes I have saved. There and Hebron seem to give me the nicest homes in my price range, although I think in the long run I'd like to aim for West Hartford.

I'm not sure of exactly what metrics they are using either because when I looked at schools, particularly in Maine, compared to my current town's high school in Mass. It appeared my town had higher metrics in regards to proficiency, but had a lower "college readiness" score & was not ranked.

If anyone's interested this is where I got the rankings from. On the search took out magnet or charter schools.

Top Connecticut High Schools | Best High Schools | US News - US News

Old 08-12-2015, 12:12 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdubs31 View Post
There are quite a few East Hampton homes I have saved. There and Hebron seem to give me the nicest homes in my price range, although I think in the long run I'd like to aim for West Hartford.

I'm not sure of exactly what metrics they are using either because when I looked at schools, particularly in Maine, compared to my current town's high school in Mass. It appeared my town had higher metrics in regards to proficiency, but had a lower "college readiness" score & was not ranked.

If anyone's interested this is where I got the rankings from. On the search took out magnet or charter schools.

Top Connecticut High Schools | Best High Schools | US News - US News
We have talked about US News' ratings here MANY times before and don't necessarily agree with them. They tend to rate some schools in the state higher than others people here know are better, so you really need to take them with a grain of salt. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut