Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 05:42 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,492,279 times

Advertisements

Interesting to see people's prospective on this topic....

CT has the same "IT" towns that people like to suggest i.e. West Hartford, Avon, Fairfield etc. But, with the changing times and changing transportation options could these new options bring in a new batch of "IT" towns on the Connecticut radar?

For example, the town I live in seems to be attracting a very decent amount of people. Home prices in my area seem to be high (for me anyway) $300k and up the schools are in the top 20% in the State. We recently went on vacation and met 4 couples looking to move out of there current towns and into ours because they hear it is the new hot spot.

My list of towns (mostly concentrated around the Hartford Area): Please feel free to add any.

Newington
Windsor
Southington
Branford
Bridgeport (believe it or not, I know many young people who moved there)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 09:35 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,427,612 times
Not really new, but Wallingford - nice walkable downtown, publicly-owned electric company and reservoirs. I know people who moved there for the lower utility costs. Also, tiny, but I thought Collinsville was getting trendy a few years back. Also, North Haven, lower property taxes than most of the surrounding towns and no bad areas at all. Branford is, and has been, great for years.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:53 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,089,857 times
With all the frustration these days with the politicians in CT, I would have to guess towns with lower taxes and good schools will be the go-to towns for people seeking family friendly environments. Lately people have been really talking property tax rates more than ever…

Anyway these are the towns in each area I think will be the new popular recommendations...

New Haven area -

Madison .. mill rate 25
Wallingford.. Mill rate 26
North Haven.. Mill rate 27

Western CT -

Oxford.. mill rate 24
Shelton.. mill rate 22

Hartford -

Burlington.. mill rate 28
Farmington.. mill rate 24

Old 08-21-2015, 09:56 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,963,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
With all the frustration these days with the politicians in CT, I would have to guess towns with lower taxes and good schools will be the go-to towns for people seeking family friendly environments. Lately people have been really talking property tax rates more than ever…

Anyway these are the towns in each area I think will be the new popular recommendations...

New Haven area -

Madison .. mill rate 25

Western CT -

Oxford.. mill rate 24
Shelton.. mill rate 22

Hartford -

In the Hartford area, though, West Simsbury with its 38+ mill rate was rated as one of the hottest zip codes in the country.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
In the Hartford area, though, West Simsbury with its 38+ mill rate was rated as one of the hottest zip codes in the country.
Questionable ranking at best...

Old 08-21-2015, 10:17 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,963,796 times
Quote:
Questionable ranking at best...
as I said in the thread about Simsbury being one of the top 50 hottest zip codes, I've been watching West Hartford, Farmington, Avon and Simsbury all year and I'd have guessed that West Hartford (mill rate 37) and Avon (mill rate 28) were hotter than Simsbury. That said, I had not crunched the numbers, nor did I divide the towns up by zip codes.

Also, Burlington's mill rate is 29.85, or more than 1.5 higher than Avon.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
as I said in the thread about Simsbury being one of the top 50 hottest zip codes, I've been watching West Hartford, Farmington, Avon and Simsbury all year and I'd have guessed that West Hartford (mill rate 37) and Avon (mill rate 28) were hotter than Simsbury. That said, I had not crunched the numbers, nor did I divide the towns up by zip codes.
Your point is? This is not that thread…. post there if you want to discuss that...

Quote:
Also, Burlington's mill rate is 29.85, or more than 1.5 higher than Avon.
I guess you didn't read the word "new" in the title of this thread...

Old 08-21-2015, 11:19 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,492,279 times
Quote:

New Haven area -

Madison .. mill rate 25

Western CT -

Oxford.. mill rate 24
Shelton.. mill rate 22

Hartford -

North Haven is getting a lot of attention now a days.

Good call on Burlington.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:19 AM

14,057 posts, read 13,950,334 times
umm Simsbury I guess Fairfield County suburbs have a competition

Old 08-21-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
North Haven is getting a lot of attention now a days.

Good call on Burlington.
I think it gets a bad reputation because people hear "Haven" and associate it with New, East and West Haven…..but it's a nice affordable town with good schools in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut