Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 08:48 PM

386 posts, read 871,939 times

Advertisements

Sup guys, I have a friend coming from the Bay Area, and he's looking for either of these. Not sure what he means by the first one (I'm assuming a town in NJ with the same or similar vibe of the Bay Area and/or SoCal), but I do know that Trenton (Mill Hill), Plainfield, and Asbury Park have large gay communities. Thing is, I don't think any of them would be like anywhere in the Bay Area that isn't Oakland or SoCal that isn't Compton.

He's looking for some surfing and gays, any suggestions? Would New Brunswick fit the mold? If we can get some CA people here, that would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 09:07 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,453,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Sporano View Post
Sup guys, I have a friend coming from the Bay Area, and he's looking for either of these. Not sure what he means by the first one (I'm assuming a town in NJ with the same or similar vibe of the Bay Area and/or SoCal), but I do know that Trenton (Mill Hill), Plainfield, and Asbury Park have large gay communities. Thing is, I don't think any of them would be like anywhere in the Bay Area that isn't Oakland or SoCal that isn't Compton.

He's looking for some surfing and gays, any suggestions? Would New Brunswick fit the mold? If we can get some CA people here, that would be great

I think Asbury Park may fit the bill. There is a large and growing gay community. Plenty of surfing and surf-side activities. Although some areas are still quite rough, there is def. a gentrification and rebirth going on. Plenty of artist communities, much like the Bay Area.

KoalaNJ

Old 04-09-2013, 09:22 PM

386 posts, read 871,939 times
Moderator cut: That post was deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
I think Asbury Park may fit the bill. There is a large and growing gay community. Plenty of surfing and surf-side activities. Although some areas are still quite rough, there is def. a gentrification and rebirth going on. Plenty of artist communities, much like the Bay Area.

KoalaNJ
I was thinking AP as well, thanks I do remember winding up there one day (just rode on 33), and I was the only guy without another guy xD. Sure, some parts are rough, but I felt safe there.

I was also maybe thinking Belmar or NB? NB obviously wouldn't have any surfing, but more like a Bay Area type town?

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-16-2013 at 03:06 PM..

Old 04-09-2013, 09:55 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
The Eastern side of Asbury Park , Forest Hills section of Newark , Mill Hill and Southern part of Trenton , Chestnut Hill and Mount Airy sections of Philadelphia , Parts of Wilmington , Fair Haven Heights in New Haven , New London , Black Rock Section of Bridgeport , are some of a few hip or areas where Gay People invest in. Most stay away from the coast instead choosing to invest in neglected areas of a city and always with great results.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:08 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,746,843 times
No surfing, but how about Lambertville and New Hope?

Old 04-10-2013, 07:05 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,125 times
Well, if it's surfing, you need the Shore. If not Asbury Park, then neighboring Ocean Grove, which is much nicer than Asbury Park but still a pretty liberal and gay-friendly place. The Sandy Hook area to an extent, too; Highlands and Atlantic Highlands.

If he's just looking for liberals, Montclair, South Orange and Maplewood, but they're more suburban. New Brunswick is such a college town; I don't know if it really has much in common with the Bay Area.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:08 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
Well, if it's surfing, you need the Shore. If not Asbury Park, then neighboring Ocean Grove, which is much nicer than Asbury Park but still a pretty liberal and gay-friendly place. The Sandy Hook area to an extent, too; Highlands and Atlantic Highlands.
A friend of mine lives in Highlands--she seems to have tons of gay friends there.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:21 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,989 times
I hear Camden is the up & coming San Fran...

Old 04-10-2013, 08:15 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Sporano View Post

New Brunswick has a decent gay population. It's not known as a "gay community" but it's a liberal area (college town) with a thriving downtown. It's about an hour drive to the shore--without traffic) for surfing. You can grab the train from there to NYC, it runs from around 5:00 am until 2:00 am and drops you right in midtown.

It's not 100% crime free, but certainly safer than Oakland or Compton. There is a growing arts culture there as well.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:49 AM

256 posts, read 572,939 times
There is a pretty large gay community in JC, especially in the area downtown south of Christopher Columbus near the Grove Street PATH. Liberal, walkable...no surfing but not too far from the shore. Though Asbury is probably the best bet. I was there for the first time last year and I was pretty impressed by the area by the beach. I wouldn't stray far though. Much better than Plainfield or Newark though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey