Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 08:13 PM

34,954 posts, read 57,005,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I hear that Stamford Town Center isn't doing too well right now. Did I hear right?

If so, it seems like a bad time to raise parking rates, and discourage people from coming there.
Malls in general are not as popular as they once were. Competition from dis counters, big box stores and online retailers have cut into sales. Still though malls do a decent sized business and I am sure Stamford Town Center does well enough. The question will be will it keep doing well once the proposed upscale mall is built in Norwalk. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 09:43 AM

811 posts, read 1,740,229 times
It may become an opportunity for Stamford Town Center to think outside the box a bit and think of possible attractions rather than your typical Macy's, Pottery Barn, or Reebok/Nike store. More restaurants, bars, maybe a gym, and additional entertainment venues. I've seen some malls doing things like an indoor go-kart racing track. The property next door, the big hole in the ground, is supposed to have something like 600+ apartment units. The mall has an opportunity and should think of putting in place things to attract people every day to the building.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:56 PM

854 posts, read 1,243,311 times
Landmark Square, right next to the mall, used to have a skating rink and a gym. It didn't work out for either of them.

There is a movie theater as well as an adjacent Veterans Park that is a popular meeting place for local children. Perhaps an indoor arcade like the one at New Roc City in New Rochelle, NY will attract even more well-behaved scholars.

Old 09-05-2015, 03:41 PM

10,118 posts, read 14,998,841 times
I went to the mall and ironically forgot about this. That's why I roamed around the parking garage trying to find a parking space with an "unbroken parking meter." They put something over the parking meters that gave the impression they were broken.

They put the number of each parking space underneath the old parking meters. Now people form lines at the pay stations (they appear to be at every entrance), and that feels somewhat weird and annoying. Hopefully its a matter of getting used to this, because I'm used to putting money on the old meters and heading into the mall rather quickly.

And yes, it now costs a dollar per hour.

Yesterday's evening the mall had a decent amount of visitors/shoppers. The parking garage seemed quite full.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:47 PM

811 posts, read 1,740,229 times
What would be those closest free parking lot that one could park and walk to the mall comfortably? Just curious.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:05 PM

10,118 posts, read 14,998,841 times
Free parking garages? In downtown? That's unheard of.

Street parking in downtown becomes free after 6pm (it hurts to see some people put money in the parking meters after that time.) I'm not sure if this applies to the city-owned parking garages in downtown too. Street parking is also free on Sundays too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut