Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 05:38 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,950,334 times

Advertisements

Is it necessary for new metro north train stations necessary ? What you think of this ?

NHHS line stations will be in Enfield, West Hartford, Newington and North Haven a location study for a future Hamden station.

HARTFORD, Conn. (WTNH)– The Governor cleared the tracks Monday to make way for several new train stations on what will become known as the Hartford Line. The new New Haven to Hartford to Springfield commuter rail line is slated to start running next year. The Governor admits he wants everything, bigger highways, more trains, and more buses, and he has a plan to convince you to pay for it.
The 1870’s vintage train station in Windsor is one of several that will be getting modern enhancements for when the New Haven to Hartford to Springfield commuter line starts running in late 2016.
“Creating a commuter rail line along the I-91 corridor is part of our transformative transportation vision of Connecticut,” said Governor Malloy following Monday’s State Bonding Commission meeting where $5.75 million was approved for planning the stations.
The funding given the okay Monday includes a location study for a new train station in Hamden, plus stations in North Haven, Newington, West Hartford, and Enfield.
The new Hartford Line will feature 22 commuter trains per day stopping at all those new and refurbished stations on the 62-mile corridor between New Haven and Springfield. New stations will also be added on the New Haven Line in Orange and Bridgeport, plus enhancements to the Merritt Seven station on the Danbury line.
Last week, the Governor announced he wants to widen I-95 from New York to Rhode Island, so there are big plans for every part of the state. To get Republicans to go along with new taxes, fees, or highway tolls, the Governor is even advocating a Republican idea: a State Constitutional Amendment requiring that all money raised from those sources go to transportation improvements. Is this enhancement likely to get Republican votes?
“It certainly is,” said State Sen. Toni Boucher, R-Wilton, the ranking Republican on the Transportation Committee. “In fact, members of my side of the aisle have proposed this in the past.”
“Yes, I think as part of that package he’s going to have to ask us to consider a Constitutional Amendment that would protect the proceeds of any new sources of revenue for transportation purposes,” said State Sen. Scott Frantz, R-Greenwich.
Will this help sell higher taxes, fees, and highway tolls to the general public?
“If we say we’re going to put a Constitutional Amendment, a true lockbox, then I think they’d be okay knowing that money is going to fix our infrastructure,” said State Rep. Tony Guerrera, D-Rocky Hill, the Co-Chairman of the Transporation Committee.
Some state lawmakers will actually admit off the record that they know a large percentage of the public doesn’t trust them because in the past they have said one thing and done another. Both Republicans and Democrats say the Constitutional Amendment process could help sooth those fears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 05:43 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
I think it's a positive step in the right direction. The current transportation system is not sustainable. We need to look towards the future.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I think it's a positive step in the right direction. The current transportation system is not sustainable. We need to look towards the future.

So we need metro north stations ?

Old 01-12-2015, 07:59 PM

684 posts, read 812,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Is it necessary for new metro north train stations necessary ? What you think of this ?

NHHS line stations will be in Enfield, West Hartford, Newington and North Haven a location study for a future Hamden station.

HARTFORD, Conn. (WTNH)– The Governor cleared the tracks Monday to make way for several new train stations on what will become known as the Hartford Line. The new New Haven to Hartford to Springfield commuter rail line is slated to start running next year. The Governor admits he wants everything, bigger highways, more trains, and more buses, and he has a plan to convince you to pay for it.
The 1870’s vintage train station in Windsor is one of several that will be getting modern enhancements for when the New Haven to Hartford to Springfield commuter line starts running in late 2016.
“Creating a commuter rail line along the I-91 corridor is part of our transformative transportation vision of Connecticut,” said Governor Malloy following Monday’s State Bonding Commission meeting where $5.75 million was approved for planning the stations.
The funding given the okay Monday includes a location study for a new train station in Hamden, plus stations in North Haven, Newington, West Hartford, and Enfield.
The new Hartford Line will feature 22 commuter trains per day stopping at all those new and refurbished stations on the 62-mile corridor between New Haven and Springfield. New stations will also be added on the New Haven Line in Orange and Bridgeport, plus enhancements to the Merritt Seven station on the Danbury line.
Last week, the Governor announced he wants to widen I-95 from New York to Rhode Island, so there are big plans for every part of the state. To get Republicans to go along with new taxes, fees, or highway tolls, the Governor is even advocating a Republican idea: a State Constitutional Amendment requiring that all money raised from those sources go to transportation improvements. Is this enhancement likely to get Republican votes?
“It certainly is,” said State Sen. Toni Boucher, R-Wilton, the ranking Republican on the Transportation Committee. “In fact, members of my side of the aisle have proposed this in the past.”
“Yes, I think as part of that package he’s going to have to ask us to consider a Constitutional Amendment that would protect the proceeds of any new sources of revenue for transportation purposes,” said State Sen. Scott Frantz, R-Greenwich.
Will this help sell higher taxes, fees, and highway tolls to the general public?
“If we say we’re going to put a Constitutional Amendment, a true lockbox, then I think they’d be okay knowing that money is going to fix our infrastructure,” said State Rep. Tony Guerrera, D-Rocky Hill, the Co-Chairman of the Transporation Committee.
Some state lawmakers will actually admit off the record that they know a large percentage of the public doesn’t trust them because in the past they have said one thing and done another. Both Republicans and Democrats say the Constitutional Amendment process could help sooth those fears.

This is a big slap in the face to americans. Whats highlighted in BOLD. Just shows that they wasted all your tax monies on BS already, and now they need to implement another tax or toll to maintain roads. Why now all of a sudden a lock box but never before? The people have been stolen from and these crook politicians needs to be in jail.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:15 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,188,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411 View Post
This is a big slap in the face to americans. Whats highlighted in BOLD. Just shows that they wasted all your tax monies on BS already, and now they need to implement another tax or toll to maintain roads. Why now all of a sudden a lock box but never before? The people have been stolen from and these crook politicians needs to be in jail.
What exactly is wrong with it in general? A huge problem is that ConnDOT has been cut to nearly nothing that can't do the work themselves and they sub out to the RFP with the essentially the lowest paper price then costs somehow almost always inexplicably spiral out of control. Putting more money up front with a dedicated stream that is largely out of the General Fund with dedicated income streams might help bring that work more in house with slightly higher upfront costs but more manageable long term cost controls. Remember when it comes to roads the government doesn't need to make a profit off the government.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:26 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,492,279 times
I smell a tax hike coming.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:36 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
So we need metro north stations ?
We can't at the same time constantly complain about traffic on the 95 corridor while simultaneously opposing solutions to the problems.

Encouraging the use of trains is a good idea. If new stations do that, I'm for it. Schedules need to be adjusted to allow a shorter ride--- Perhaps some trains start in New Haven and run express from Fairfield and others start in Fairfield and run express from Stamford...

We need a huge shift in order for transit to be solved-- Stations are just the beginning. More urbanized transit-based communities will soon be part of the plan.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
We can't at the same time constantly complain about traffic on the 95 corridor while simultaneously opposing solutions to the problems.

Encouraging the use of trains is a good idea. If new stations do that, I'm for it. Schedules need to be adjusted to allow a shorter ride--- Perhaps some trains start in New Haven and run express from Fairfield and others start in Fairfield and run express from Stamford...

We need a huge shift in order for transit to be solved-- Stations are just the beginning. More urbanized transit-based communities will soon be part of the plan.

So Orange and Bport need new a train station ? The proposal train in bport is less than 1.3 mile from downtown train station which is 5-7 min drive and 9 min drive on local roads to stratford train station. Orange only has 13,000 people it not a commuter town and does'nt have traffic issues it not too far west haven. Downtown to New train station is 36 sec train ride, Orange is not far from West Haven. Downtown station is not full capacity It will be better spend with improve Waterbury Line.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:50 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,861,461 times
Quote:
So Orange and Bport need new a train station ? The proposal train in bport is less than 1.3 mile from downtown train station which is 5-7 min drive and 9 min drive on local roads to stratford train station. Orange only has 13,000 people it not a commuter town and does'nt have traffic issues it not too far west haven. Downtown to New train station is 36 sec train ride, Orange is not far from West Haven. Downtown station is not full capacity It will be better spend with improve Waterbury Line.
I would move the Orange station to the Waterbury Branch , they already plan on adding a station at Wilbur Cross Parkway and reactivating Devon for a new terminus... Orange on the New Haven Line seems like a waste...

Yes I know not all the stations in CT are placed yet...
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...A.kQDtB3dU7TK8

Old 01-12-2015, 10:58 PM

854 posts, read 1,242,654 times
An elevated AirTrain down the middle of I-95 would be very nice I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut