Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 02:15 PM

19 posts, read 20,315 times

Advertisements

Thinking of relocating to Texas. I got WFH option with my current employer and my husband can work from his other office location in TX. Got a middle schooler and Kindergartener. I feel like i need to move out of CT because of weather and may be competitive schooling system (although its not really the factor). Since we have these flexible option, our minds are thinking to give a try in TX. But i would really miss CT for the quitness, nice people, less traffic, friends, easy commute etc having living for 9 years. Please advice. What would you do in this case?

PS: we are renting, planning to buy a house in TX if we like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 02:23 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyFromCT View Post
Thinking of relocating to Texas. I got WFH option with my current employer and my husband can work from his other office location in TX. Got a middle schooler and Kindergartener. I feel like i need to move out of CT because of weather and may be competitive schooling system (although its not really the factor). Since we have these flexible option, our minds are thinking to give a try in TX. But i would really miss CT for the quitness, nice people, less traffic, friends, easy commute etc having living for 9 years. Please advice. What would you do in this case?

PS: we are renting, planning to buy a house in TX if we like it.
Its very hot

Old 10-22-2015, 02:28 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,939,398 times
Personally, I would never want to live in Texas, because of the political climate, but that's just me.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:33 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Unless you plan on living in one of the nicer (and usually more expensive) suburbs of a major city in Texas, do not expect there to be better schools there. You do not say where you live here or where you would be moving to in Texas but generally speaking the schools here are much better. Schools systems in Texas tend to be very large and the quality of education can vary from school to school. School systems in Connecticut are much smaller and there is a lot more control over curriculum and accountability for student performance. Generally Connecticut always rates at or near the top for education. Texas is not even close.

There is nothing we can do about the weather here in Connecticut. It is cold in the winter but on the other hand Texas is very hot in the summer so to me there is a tradeoff. As for buying a home, Texas has a lot of cheap homes but you do get what you pay for. Again I am not sure where you live here or where you would move to so it is hard to comment on home price differences. It is your personal preference which state is better for you and your family. Jay

Old 10-22-2015, 03:12 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,957,434 times
where in Texas? It's a big state. Houston is different than Dallas, which is different than Austin or San Antonio.

When you say "competitive schooling system" - do you mean where you are in CT is too competitive or not competitive enough?

Texas has no income taxes and a lower cost of living overall, but they're one of the few states that has property taxes as high, or higher, than CT. However, if you want to live in the safer suburban areas with good schools (and, those are fewer in Texas), you will be paying for housing that is similar in cost to the Hartford or New Haven County towns that have excellent schools, and likely be paying slightly higher property taxes. (Offset by no income tax and lower utility costs) You can live in a nice neighborhood with average schools, though, and probably pay a good deal less than you would here, and also have lower property taxes because people aren't as concerned about schools.

When talking to people from TX, though, they mention the long, brutal summers and that nobody moves to TX for the weather. That said, I don't think people move to Connecticut for the weather, either.

I have several good friends from CT that have moved to TX and have been there both to visit these friends and for job interviews and nobody seems to like the weather there - my friends, their colleagues and people I interviewed with - one person I interviewed with even told me they try to avoid interviewing potential relocations from May through September because the oppressive heat & humidity might scare people that aren't natives. These friends, though, generally like Texas other than not being able to find good pizza.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:17 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,691,289 times
I have people that swear by Texas and friend's who wanted to leave Texas. It's a mixed state regarding the outdoors has beautiful fall weather in some part's, some places get snow, some places are muggy/swampy, other areas are arid and desert like. Also have the possibility of getting hurricanes some really strong storm's like tornadoes/floods. Heard Texas border area is a bit unsafe and the coast has some nice area's. Some of the coast is dotted with oil rigs though.

Closer to major cities on Texas and suburbs better schools better living. Have heard San Antonio is probably the most open of the communities. Very artsy.

As far as pay and job's mixed bag. Friends who are in nursing can't find jobs near Houston, but outside near Dallas better options. Housing cost to pay salary isn't too bad. Dallas I say is the most expensive of the cities in Texas.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
where in Texas? It's a big state. Houston is different than Dallas, which is different than Austin or San Antonio.
Don't matter where ...its all hot

Old 10-22-2015, 05:53 PM

402 posts, read 686,256 times
Texas hand's down. It's a big country, very friendly people, you just have to choose the place you like for whatever weather you like.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:56 PM

402 posts, read 686,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Don't matter where ...its all hot
not at all true

Old 10-22-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlaw View Post
not at all true
Name a place in Texas thats not hot as hell 6 months a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut