Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2015, 06:38 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times

Advertisements

Post whatever maps you desire, I drive it real life - not just the occasional trip to the mall on a holiday weekend. Route 7 south of 35 and north of Branchville is a PITA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 08:14 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
25, 7 & 34....the biggest PITA road in this part of the state. I'll still never understand how Danbury doesn't have any real highways connecting to Stamford, Norwalk, Bridgeport & New Haven, it completely blows my mind.
As I mentioned previously, nobody along the coast cares much about getting to Danbury via highway access as very few work in Danbury. Another mentioned the bottlenecks and epic jams it would create at the 95 and Merritt interchanges. Currently commuters from the north filter down through several backroad options. The current setup works and alleviates Rt 7 traffic.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:38 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
As I mentioned previously, nobody along the coast cares much about getting to Danbury via highway access as very few work in Danbury. Another mentioned the bottlenecks and epic jams it would create at the 95 and Merritt interchanges. Currently commuters from the north filter down through several backroad options. The current setup works and alleviates Rt 7 traffic.
I do not agree that "nobody along the coast cares much about getting to Danbury". Lower Fairfield County has a serious problem with affordable housing. Had the Route 7 expressway been constructed, it would have opened up a wide area of affordable housing opportunities for people and may even have helped relieve some of the traffic issues on highways there. Jay

Old 12-07-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I do not agree that "nobody along the coast cares much about getting to Danbury". Lower Fairfield County has a serious problem with affordable housing. Had the Route 7 expressway been constructed, it would have opened up a wide area of affordable housing opportunities for people and may even have helped relieve some of the traffic issues on highways there. Jay
You're thinking is outdated and makes no sense. That means there would be more people living up north commuting south making the traffic on the Merritt and 95 even worse.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
You're thinking is outdated and makes no sense. That means there would be more people living up north commuting south making the traffic on the Merritt and 95 even worse.
Not east of Route 7. And why does this make my thinking "outdated"? It make perfect sense. Jay

Old 12-16-2015, 08:57 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,463,064 times
Can we get rid of the Landmarked bridges on the Merritt so this complete monstrosity of a highway can get redone with a shoulder?? An hour to drive to Purchase this morning because the right lane was closed................................doing tree work . What other highway in the US, much less a highway with as many cars daily as the Merritt, has to close a lane of traffic whenever they do tree/grass work because the highway still lives in the 30's with no shoulder or breakdown lane??

Old 12-17-2015, 12:08 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Can we get rid of the Landmarked bridges on the Merritt so this complete monstrosity of a highway can get redone with a shoulder?? An hour to drive to Purchase this morning because the right lane was closed................................doing tree work . What other highway in the US, much less a highway with as many cars daily as the Merritt, has to close a lane of traffic whenever they do tree/grass work because the highway still lives in the 30's with no shoulder or breakdown lane??
All this trimming and removal creating a traffic nightmare, and they planted MORE in the median. It's baffling.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:56 AM

785 posts, read 823,486 times
The Merritt needs to construct another lane to both sides. 3 lanes, both sides, from Greenwich to Stratford.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Not east of Route 7. And why does this make my thinking "outdated"? It make perfect sense. Jay
didnt see this.

Outdated in that it would have been more relevant back in the Bridgeport heyday when they had more jobs there. Now everyone from the north and east filter down and bottleneck on the Merritt and 95 going south towards Stamford.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
didnt see this.

Outdated in that it would have been more relevant back in the Bridgeport heyday when they had more jobs there. Now everyone from the north and east filter down and bottleneck on the Merritt and 95 going south towards Stamford.
This has nothing to do with Bridgeport. There is still a lot of regional traffic that funnels through lower Fairfield County. If there were better connections between I-95 and I-84, it would encourage traffic to divert around Stamford, not force it through there like it does today. This is particularly important when there are accidents on I-95 or the Merritt. The ideal situation would be to complete Route 7 but since that has little support, Route 25 would be the next best option. Again this is all based on poor decisions made 40 years ago. Again, these thoughts are not "outdated". Just look at the traffic we have on Route 7 or Route 25 today. It is not getting any better. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure this out. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut