Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 04:21 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

I have an interview at 9:30 AM tomorrow in Stamford. I will be driving from Granby. Google says it will take 1 hr 41 min, but of course, that's assuming no traffic. Google says to take CT-15 S from Meriden down to Trumbull and then take CT-8 S down to I-95 S.

As you know, I have no experience with FFC traffic during rush hours. Ideally, I would like to arrive at my destination at least 15 minutes prior to the start of the interview at 9:30 AM, so 9:15 AM really. So, under ideal traffic-free conditions that means I would have to leave my house at 7:35 AM.

How early would you recommend that I leave my home in order to make it there on time, since I have no idea about traffic dynamics there?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 05:03 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Just take the train from Bridgeport and then a cab or walk to office. It's the only truly reliable way to do it.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:11 PM

811 posts, read 1,739,055 times
1) I commute daily from Norwalk to Stamford so take my experience for what it's worth and stay on CT-15 (Merritt) all the way to Stamford, Exit 34 (Long Ridge Rd.) Alter your Google map directions to take this route to your destination. You want to avoid the Norwalk area on 95 due to the construction there right now.

2) You have a lot of miles to encounter misc traffic disruptions. I'd leave at 6-6:30am and if you arrive early, good for you, take some time to prepare or get a coffee somewhere. There's a stand alone Lord and Taylor building/parking lot to rest at on Long Ridge (add that to your destination) or at one of the plazas around the Lord and Taylor building. You don't want to start sweating bullets on the way wondering if you'll make it.

Good luck, let us know how you did.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
1) I commute daily from Norwalk to Stamford so take my experience for what it's worth and stay on CT-15 (Merritt) all the way to Stamford, Exit 34 (Long Ridge Rd.) Alter your Google map directions to take this route to your destination. You want to avoid the Norwalk area on 95 due to the construction there right now.

2) You have a lot of miles to encounter misc traffic disruptions. I'd leave at 6-6:30am and if you arrive early, good for you, take some time to prepare or get a coffee somewhere. There's a stand alone Lord and Taylor building/parking lot to rest at on Long Ridge (add that to your destination) or at one of the plazas around the Lord and Taylor building. You don't want to start sweating bullets on the way wondering if you'll make it.

Good luck, let us know how you did.
Leave at 6-6:30??

That sounds like overkill! What if I leave at around 7:00 instead? The interview starts at 9:30. That would give me 29 min of leeway during my trip, if I take the Merritt as you suggested.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:24 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Leave at 6-6:30??

That sounds like overkill! What if I leave at around 7:00 instead? The interview starts at 9:30. That would give me 29 min of leeway during my trip, if I take the Merritt as you suggested.
If you're early you can get a coffee. If you're late you might as well turn around and go home.

Seems like a no brainer to me-- leave early.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
If you're early you can get a coffee. If you're late you might as well turn around and go home.

Seems like a no brainer to me-- leave early.
It just seems excessively early. Maybe I'll take the train instead as Stylo said. It's only a 24 min ride from Bridgeport to Stamford.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:46 PM

Actually, I don't want to deal with the train and walking method. I'll add an hour to the Google Map estimate and just take I-95 as Google says, but with an hour extra. Worst case scenario, I get there very early and just find somewhere to park and just continue preparing for the interview or whatever. Besides, on Wed morning I have to wake up at 5 AM to catch my flight to an interview in South FL.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:19 PM

811 posts, read 1,739,055 times
Quote:
Actually, I don't want to deal with the train and walking method. I'll add an hour to the Google Map estimate and just take I-95 as Google says, but with an hour extra. Worst case scenario, I get there very early and just find somewhere to park and just continue preparing for the interview or whatever. Besides, on Wed morning I have to wake up at 5 AM to catch my flight to an interview in South FL.
95 is your worst option and there is a guaranteed slowdown starting in Westport/East Norwalk and through the route 7 connector into Darien. This section alone adds a good 15-20 min to the estimated time Google gives you. Take it at your own risk.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
95 is your worst option and there is a guaranteed slowdown starting in Westport/East Norwalk and through the route 7 connector into Darien. This section alone adds a good 15-20 min to the estimated time Google gives you. Take it at your own risk.
I understand, but with an hour buffer added to the Google time estimate, I should be fine, I hope. Plus, I want to get the "real" I-95 FFC rush hour traffic experience, so that I can become more familiar and smart about it.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:59 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
I understand, but with an hour buffer added to the Google time estimate, I should be fine, I hope. Plus, I want to get the "real" I-95 FFC rush hour traffic experience, so that I can become more familiar and smart about it.
The "real" I-95 rush hour is in the afternoon. The mornings, while bad, aren't nearly as bad as the afternoon. Stick around today if you really want the traffic feel. Leave Stamford at 4:30 heading north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut