Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 05:33 PM

69 posts, read 98,682 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I moved to Georgia in August and have gotten my GA state license plate (they only issue 1). Now I want to keep my old CT plates because they're vanity plates and because it's a nice memorial of where I came from. I understand that when you cancel registration you have to return your plates but is there any way you can keep them?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 06:21 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times
I mean, what are they gonna do if you don't send them? CT has zero jurisdiction in GA (congrats n move BTW). I've seen plenty of people with their old plates in man caves, garages etc. I can't imagine it's a big deal.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:26 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,892,517 times
In NY you are only required to return ONE plate. Maybe they let you do the same in CT?

Old 01-25-2016, 07:23 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,313,170 times
Kind of interested in knowing why you need to turn in ONE plate. That's kind of odd IMO. I know CT doesn't reuse plates and that's why they're adding another digit. It's becoming more common to see AA-????? and AB-?????. I just recently saw a AC-????? plate...

Old 01-25-2016, 09:07 PM

258 posts, read 456,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
In NY you are only required to return ONE plate. Maybe they let you do the same in CT?
Is that true? I'm moving from NY to CT and I wanted to keep my NY plates to hang on the wall somewhere, so I've been trying to find a way around returning the plates. I figured I'd just let the registration expire and then register in CT, that's my current scheme to keep my old plates.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:24 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
This is the closest thing I could find to an answer to the question:
DMV: Returning Connecticut License Plates and Cancelling a Registration

Notice if you cancel online, the instructions don't say to return the plates. They say to include the plate number on the cancellation.

It also explains that you'll continue being billed for property tax in your Connecticut town until the process is completed. So even if you let the registration expire, the municipality will still bill you property tax. You have to actively cancel. At least as I understand it based only on this web page.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:34 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,380,359 times
I ran into somebody yesterday, and we were talking Car Tax, and they told me a story about their move to NY, and when they didn't return their CT plates, it took 3 years for CT to track them down, and hit them with a $1,700 Tax Bill for the plates.....I'd be sure to make some calls to check it out.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:36 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
I ran into somebody yesterday, and we were talking Car Tax, and they told me a story about their move to NY, and when they didn't return their CT plates, it took 3 years for CT to track them down, and hit them with a $1,700 Tax Bill for the plates.....I'd be sure to make some calls to check it out.
lol, PLEASE tell me they didn't pay that!

Old 01-26-2016, 07:46 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,380,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
lol, PLEASE tell me they didn't pay that!
They said they had no choice.....had to pay. I'm not sure, but I think that maybe if you owe back tax, which is what these folks were being charged, they can hold back your registration in your new state ??....dunno, but they said there was no other option, had to pay.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:49 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmck94 View Post
Hi all,

I moved to Georgia in August and have gotten my GA state license plate (they only issue 1). Now I want to keep my old CT plates because they're vanity plates and because it's a nice memorial of where I came from. I understand that when you cancel registration you have to return your plates but is there any way you can keep them?

Thanks
We returned ours because we could get some of the registration money back, and the (paper) receipt for returning the plates was the proof we sent to the town that we no longer owed the car tax.

It was a primitive and slow process. They still owe us some refund, but it's not worth the effort to collect.

I don't know if you could sell this story, but you could try returning one plate, and telling them something like the other one fell off along the road or was tossed in the trash by the GA people when they put the new one on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut