Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 09:41 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times

Advertisements

What you think of this ?

MILFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — Milford residents who live on Seaside Avenue are angry after learning that a developer has plans in the works to turn two lots into single family homes. The plan includes seven new homes and the property will have enough space for 22 cars.

“They are trying to wedge in seven homes back there. Seven single residences. I see a backyard. I don’t see a property that could properly support nor a street that could support another seven homes given the traffic issues, no stop light, no stop sign here. There are still small children growing up across the street,” said Jeffery Albright.

“There’s too much traffic now as it is and we are just going to get more traffic,” said Susan Sorrentino.

“You’re gonna have 14 vehicles pulling out onto this busy road,” said Adam Hamon.

Hamon lives across the street from the proposed site. He believes the construction will bring more traffic.

“Safety really and just increased traffic on this road, which is like a highway at times. I think the speed limit here is 40, but most people are doing 60,” said Hamon.

“The departments of transportation has long since stood by the fact that small scale residential projects do not have a significant adverse impact of traffic volume,” said Jeffery Gordon, the owner and landscape Architect of Codespoti & Associates.

Gordon, the project’s landscape architect says the two bedroom cottages will blend in and there won’t be roads going through the whole property.

“This would come in at a little over 16 bedrooms per acre. Obviously the density is not what has been seen in the area before, but any application does frighten people because it is something new and different,” said Gordon.

Neighbors have other concerns.

“Besides accidents, besides garbage overflow. Beside I’m not a civil engineer, but I’m sure changing the land we are now going to get water in our basements,” said Beatrice Robertson.

“I’m all against this overbuilding that they’re doing. I’m totally against it,” said Sorrentino.

Milford residents fuming over construction proposal | WTNH Connecticut News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 10:30 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Effin ridiculous. Petiod. Friggin developers, idiots involved, and this area is just moronic. Period. I just saw a new Starbucks built in the middle of a "parking lot" that was already tight. Its truely and purely disgusting what is happening. If you think theres nothing wrong with it then i seriously think you need to get a catscan or a new brain. Ridiculous. Wake up people

Old 02-03-2016, 06:23 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,998 times
More NIMBY it seems. If the cottages can fit and they're not overwhelming other homes in the area or creating an environmental hazard, I think it's fine. Most of the lots on that street are already pretty small, no?

Old 02-03-2016, 06:29 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
So Milford residents can't care less about the big box eye sore that is the Boston Post Rd slicing their town in half, but get on a developer for trying to build homes on a small lot? Ha. "Traffic" - the go-to complaint when they simply don't want something built.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:49 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,495,853 times
I lived in Milford for many years growing up through my teens and 20's. Back then Stonebridge was literally a restaurant with a parking lot. That was before the Capitol Theater was torn down and Jakes for more parking. I'm not saying the town didn't need some more upgrading and change because downtown is a great place to walk and eat/drink still.

However, the post road has turned into a complete zoo. If you ask me it's way to overdeveloped. The biggest issue is the size of the road itself and the traffic lighting. It almost seems the whole section would do better if it was setup like Jersey where there are NO left turns or having multiple plazas connected because the number of lights and people holding up traffic to turn into or out of stores.

Of course that is not the argument here, the argument in this case is overcrowding of homes and developers just cutting up land to shove residences wherever they fit. When we were house hunting I was so tired of seeing great prospects online, contacting my agent, only to show up and see that the house is behind another on a shared driveway, or has surrounding property that is owned for development later. Such a let down on appeal and value if you ask me.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:55 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
I lived in Milford for many years growing up through my teens and 20's. Back then Stonebridge was literally a restaurant with a parking lot. That was before the Capitol Theater was torn down and Jakes for more parking. I'm not saying the town didn't need some more upgrading and change because downtown is a great place to walk and eat/drink still.

However, the post road has turned into a complete zoo. If you ask me it's way to overdeveloped. The biggest issue is the size of the road itself and the traffic lighting. It almost seems the whole section would do better if it was setup like Jersey where there are NO left turns or having multiple plazas connected because the number of lights and people holding up traffic to turn into or out of stores.

Of course that is not the argument here, the argument in this case is overcrowding of homes and developers just cutting up land to shove residences wherever they fit. When we were house hunting I was so tired of seeing great prospects online, contacting my agent, only to show up and see that the house is behind another on a shared driveway, or has surrounding property that is owned for development later. Such a let down on appeal and value if you ask me.
That why Milford is suburban city ? It consider a city but look less expensive and lower class Fairfield.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:59 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
So Milford residents can't care less about the big box eye sore that is the Boston Post Rd slicing their town in half, but get on a developer for trying to build homes on a small lot? Ha. "Traffic" - the go-to complaint when they simply don't want something built.
I know - are potentially 14 additional cars really amount to anything on an already busy street?

Sounds similar to the Rt 44 in Avon complaint a few months back - replacing a closed restaurant with a BMW dealership would create too much traffic when it's already a busy road. (not to mention getting rid of the eyesore of a closed restaurant and having an increase in the tax base...)

Old 02-03-2016, 07:39 AM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Seven single family homes is not a lot and would not generate a lot of traffic. There is no mention of the size of this property or how big the lots will be. The area appears to be somewhat dense already so I am assuming that the minimum lot sizes proposed meet current zoning requirements and I doubt there is much the neighbors can do to stop it. Connecticut has some of the country's strictest zoning laws so complain all they want, it is likely the proposal will get approved. Jay

Old 02-03-2016, 06:16 PM

21,744 posts, read 28,070,632 times
An idiotic NIMBY article about developing residential in Milford comes up almost monthly it seems. Why newspapers give these people a voice is beyond me. I guess they're desperate for content. That is a dense area, and it's not unusual for homes in Milford to be on very small lots (mine is).

LOL @ "“You’re gonna have 14 vehicles pulling out onto this busy road,” said Adam Hamon."

Because all 14 vehicles will be pulling out at the same time. What a silly comment.

The traffic around there is NOTHING.

New single family homes in Milford will likely be $300,000+ and attract good residents to the city, often young families. I can't see how this is a bad thing.

Last edited by Stylo; 02-03-2016 at 06:31 PM..

Old 02-04-2016, 09:50 AM

720 posts, read 919,637 times
This is the problem with CT. Bunch of whiney people who are against development, move to Maine then geez
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut