Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 05:46 AM

492 posts, read 487,129 times

Advertisements

Did you think of Cheshire?
Its a small, beautiful town, with excellent schools. Cheshire is a great town to raise kids. We live in Cheshire as my wife also works at Yale. Many people working at Yale live in Cheshire and Woodbridge. I know Guilford is also an option but I dont know much about it as we wanted to live between Hartford And New Haven since I work in Hartford.
Please: Forget Hamden... schools are not good. Its mostly a college town with students renting. Is less safe and higher property taxes (though it wont matter to you if you are renting).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 06:10 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin100 View Post
Did you think of Cheshire?
Its a small, beautiful town, with excellent schools. Cheshire is a great town to raise kids. We live in Cheshire as my wife also works at Yale. Many people working at Yale live in Cheshire and Woodbridge. I know Guilford is also an option but I dont know much about it as we wanted to live between Hartford And New Haven since I work in Hartford.
Please: Forget Hamden... schools are not good. Its mostly a college town with students renting. Is less safe and higher property taxes (though it wont matter to you if you are renting).
Ok. Cheshire is a nice town to raise a family and of course test scores in Hamden will be mixed because of its diversity. But knocking the town as an unsafe town only for college students is ridiculous. Sure it has some areas right next to New Haven and apartment complexes, but most houses are in suburban or rural areas. Plenty of families reside in Hamden and the services offered in town for all age groups are quite vast, the restaurants are endless and every store you could possibly need is right there. I'd imagine most people in Woodbridge and Cheshire spend quite a bit of time in Hamden. Over the years and until this day, I've met plenty of Hamden High school grads from long ago and recently. They all were well prepared for college and it was a difficult school to be bored at given how many extracurricular activities it has. I get not preferring a school system like Hamden, but writing off the town is silly.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:18 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Madison, Guilford, and Branford are stunning, but you might find them sleepy and a bit isolated coming from Santa Barbara. I don't know if that matters to you. One nice thing about Orange is it's near way more shopping, dining, and action. You're inbetween Milford and New Haven, with tons of things to do, and not far from NYC and Fairfield County. Depends on your wants.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:58 AM

7 posts, read 17,808 times
Thank you for pointing us to Cheshire. It was not on my radar. Looks like a lovely place with more action. Orange also looks great but I'm not seeing any places to rent there. I'm looking on Zillow and Craigslist. Are there any other ways you suggest searching for housing in this area? Realtors? How far in advanced should we come out to visit and sign a lease? I'm thinking May for a June 1 start on lease. Thank you for all this great info!

Old 03-02-2016, 11:09 AM

1,241 posts, read 903,301 times
When I accepted my position at the University, HR put me in touch with a realtor who was able to recommend various rental properties in some of the more popular towns. This was done at no charge to me so I assume it is something Yale covers for new hires but I am not sure.

In the end, I found rentals in the towns we were looking at were very challenging to find as we wanted either a condo or single family home. We lucked into finding a place on Craigslist within an hour of it posting that worked for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd1211 View Post
Thank you for pointing us to Cheshire. It was not on my radar. Looks like a lovely place with more action. Orange also looks great but I'm not seeing any places to rent there. I'm looking on Zillow and Craigslist. Are there any other ways you suggest searching for housing in this area? Realtors? How far in advanced should we come out to visit and sign a lease? I'm thinking May for a June 1 start on lease. Thank you for all this great info!

Old 03-02-2016, 12:58 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
Nice places in Milford about 1200 offer discounts to Yale U employees. There are some more pricey ones believe Avalon in Milford does to.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:12 PM

39 posts, read 38,769 times
Depending on how far you want to commute check out both Monroe and Trumbull. Both have excellent school systems and are GREAT family towns. Depending on traffic the commute time to New Haven would be roughly 35-45 minutes. Going the other way down the shore both Guilford and Branford are wonderful choices as well!

Old 03-02-2016, 02:52 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd1211 View Post
There is this complex in Orange. It used to be an Avalon community but I guess they sold it. Jay

Grand Reserve Orange Apartments for Rent in Orange, CT

Old 03-02-2016, 03:02 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFinkLoans View Post
Depending on how far you want to commute check out both Monroe and Trumbull. Both have excellent school systems and are GREAT family towns. Depending on traffic the commute time to New Haven would be roughly 35-45 minutes. Going the other way down the shore both Guilford and Branford are wonderful choices as well!
Both are great towns, but I wouldn't want to do the 45 minute Monroe --> New Haven commute.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:55 PM

492 posts, read 487,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Ok. Cheshire is a nice town to raise a family and of course test scores in Hamden will be mixed because of its diversity. But knocking the town as an unsafe town only for college students is ridiculous. Sure it has some areas right next to New Haven and apartment complexes, but most houses are in suburban or rural areas. Plenty of families reside in Hamden and the services offered in town for all age groups are quite vast, the restaurants are endless and every store you could possibly need is right there. I'd imagine most people in Wood bridge and Cheshire spend quite a bit of time in Hamden. Over the years and until this day, I've met plenty of Hamden High school grads from long ago and recently. They all were well prepared for college and it was a difficult school to be bored at given how many extracurricular activities it has. I get not preferring a school system like Hamden, but writing off the town is silly.
I don't mean to say that Hamden is a bad town... but for a family looking for a town with very good schools, I dont think Hamden will be a great choice. Safety in a town is relative... and of course Hamden won't rank as high as other towns mentioned in the posts. Agree Hamden has a lot of shopping places, eateries...even we go many times to Hamden..but thats not a hassle. Hamden is down the road route 10 from Cheshire...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut