Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 01:59 PM
V&L V&L started this thread

112 posts, read 149,854 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I know by car the trip would be horrible - how is the trip from Madison to Manhattan and Brooklyn by train? Which one is faster and requires less transfers? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 02:50 PM

854 posts, read 1,240,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V&L View Post
Hello,

I know by car the trip would be horrible
It would be horrible using every mode with the exception of helicopter.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:00 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,903,161 times
To get to Manhattan from Madison, you would catch a Shoreline East train at Madison station to New Haven and then switch to a Metro North train to take you to Grand Central. The train switch in New Haven is usually just getting off one train and walking across the platform to the waiting train next to it. It is a long trip, but not too bad.

To get to Brooklyn (New York, not Connecticut) though is a lot harder. From Grand Central I think you catch a subway train downtown and then switch to a subway to Brooklyn. I had a family member that lived in Brooklyn and only did this once and swore never to do it again. I used to drive but even that was a nightmare. Brooklyn is not an easy city to get to. Jay

Old 03-10-2016, 03:29 PM
V&L V&L started this thread

112 posts, read 149,854 times
Hi Jay,

How long does the Manhattan trip take altogether? And is it a frequent train? Finally, is there anywhere to park at New Haven? Thank you!

Old 03-10-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
From Grand Central I think you catch a subway train downtown and then switch to a subway to Brooklyn.
It's a direct subway train from GCT to Brooklyn on the 4 or 5 train if heading to downtown Brooklyn, Barclays Center, Prospect Heights, Crown Heights or Flatbush. For other areas in Brooklyn, a transfer is required.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V&L View Post

How long does the Manhattan trip take altogether?
Peak hours - transfer is made in Stamford, except if leaving Madison at 5:25am or 5:55 am. Trains marked "THRU" go straight through New Haven to Stamford.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:17 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Figure almost 3 hours door to door to Manhattan, then another 30 to Brooklyn, depending on where in Brooklyn.

You might actually be better off driving to a Metro North station. Even as far as Bridgeport.

Couple times a week would be rough, but doable. A daily commute would be unbearable.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:02 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,398,619 times
Keep in mind that if doing this during rush hour, those 4 & 5 trains from GCT to Wall Street are absolutely packed - as in use the "white gloved pushers from Tokyo to wedge people in" packed. Even getting down the stairs from GCT into the subway was a battle against two competing waves of humanity: those going up, and those going down. But once they were able to close the train doors, the trip to Downtown only took 20 minutes. How much longer to get into Brooklyn, I'm not sure as thankfully that wasn't a trip I needed to make.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:03 AM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Figure almost 3 hours door to door to Manhattan, then another 30 to Brooklyn, depending on where in Brooklyn.

You might actually be better off driving to a Metro North station. Even as far as Bridgeport.

Couple times a week would be rough, but doable. A daily commute would be unbearable.
Madison to GST is brutal and drain out commute

Old 03-11-2016, 06:08 AM

39 posts, read 38,733 times
We live in Monroe and I drive my wife to the bridgeport station in the morning (and pick her up at fairfield metro at night) - door to door for her (she works across from the empire state building) it's a 2 hour commute roughly...she hates it. So you are probably looking at a 3 hour door to door commute which I would imagine could get awful if doing it daily both ways. I think one of the worst parts about it is how rude people can be on the train....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut