Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 09:33 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times

Advertisements

How on earth is West Hartford a town (not a city)?! The population is about 63,000 and it is the 9th largest incorporated place in the state. It's bigger than TWELVE cities within the state overall!

Also, how on earth is New London a city (not a town)?! The population is only about 28,000. Granted, it's the smallest city in the state, but still.

I don't see the logic.

In my opinion, West Hartford should be converted to a city and New London should be converted to a town.

There are also other towns that I think people perceive as a city (including myself), such as Manchester. And cities that people perceive as a town, such as Shelton and West Haven.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 09:39 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
[quote=nep321;43396796]How on earth is West Hartford a town (not a city)?! The population is about 63,000 and it is the 9th largest incorporated place in the state. It's bigger than TWELVE cities within the state overall!

Also, how on earth is New London a city (not a town)?! The population is only about 28,000. Granted, it's the smallest city in the state, but still.

I don't see the logic.

In my opinion, West Hartford should be converted to a city and New London should be converted to a town.

There are also other towns that I think people perceive as a city (including myself), such as Manchester. And cities that people perceive as a town, such as Shelton and West Haven.

What do you think?

What about Fairfield, Greeenwich, Stratford ? Milford is city but it look suburban. Stamford and NeW Haven be Ct largest city. New London is more urban West Hartford though

Old 03-17-2016, 11:19 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
How on earth is West Hartford a town (not a city)?! The population is about 63,000 and it is the 9th largest incorporated place in the state. It's bigger than TWELVE cities within the state overall!

I don't see the logic.

What do you think?
A city is usually named a city if it's the center city of a metropolitan area. The Norwich-New London metropolitan area has over 270,000 people. Also remember that New London was the county seat until 1960 when the state ended county government. Towns are now responsible for local government activities (fire, ems, etc.). Every county seat prior to 1960 was and still is considered a city. Torrington is considered a city which was the Litchfield County Seat and Middletown is a city which was the Middlesex County Seat. I think the only exception is Tolland County because I don't think Vernon is considered a city even though Rockville was the county seat. Rockville is a part of Vernon btw.

Just because it has a higher population doesn't make it a city. I believe it has to be the center city of the metropolitan area. West Hartford isn't the center city....Hartford is.

I also should remind you that New London's population is much lower than it was back in the 20's and 30's. New London is as populated as South Windsor even though New London is MUCH denser.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:10 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,209 times
Remember, it's not a municipality's population that determines whether it's a town or a city, it's the government. I believe the way it works is towns are run by selectmen, whereas cities are run by a board of aldermen. We have small cities (like Derby and Torrington) and large towns (like WH).

And if you really wanna complicate things, just cross the border into New York, where you have villages, you have towns, you have hamlets (mostly on LI) and you have cities. I went to school there for 4 years and still find it confusing.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:35 AM

34,940 posts, read 56,958,583 times
West Hartford is very suburban in character. There are no high rise buildings, no dense neighborhood. Very little to say it is a city. Fairfield is similar and people there get angry if it is called a city. Why does this even matter? Jay

Old 03-18-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
West Hartford is very suburban in character. There are no high rise buildings, no dense neighborhood. Very little to say it is a city. Fairfield is similar and people there get angry if it is called a city. Why does this even matter? Jay
Milford is consider a city but it look like suburbans to me

Old 03-18-2016, 08:46 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,946,366 times
Quote:
Exactly.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:48 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,089,144 times
Quote:

Old 03-18-2016, 08:52 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Bristol is a city but isn't the center of the metropolitan area. Same goes for Ansonia, Derby, Shelton and West Haven.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Bristol is a city but isn't the center of the metropolitan area. Same goes for Ansonia, Derby, Shelton and West Haven.

Bridgeport-Norwalk-Stamford which one is center of metro area ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut