Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2016, 08:27 PM

660 posts, read 659,056 times

Advertisements

How is the city of New Haven? New Haven seems to get a lot of positive posts from the Connecticut board. I have never been to the city New Haven itself. I only went to New Haven once to pick up furniture from Ikea. Following some positive posts, I have researched New Haven and I think it will be a good stepping stone for me. Lots of computer science startups that pay well in New Haven and in my opinion, I believe New Haven would be a good place to start for 2-3 years before moving on to the Midwest or south. How would New Haven be for a 2-3 year stepping stone?

And how are Bethel and Ridgefield as towns? There are two Bernie Sanders events happening in those two towns. The event in Ridgefield involves calling people in Connecticut convincing people to vote for Bernie and going from house to house and an added perk will be pizza at the event. Details aside, would Ridgefield be a good place to go door to door and call undecided voters? And I am asking about Bethel because there is another volunteer event that is more complicated and more involved with the campaign. Details about the event aside, is Bethel a good town for the event?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 09:05 PM

138 posts, read 116,413 times
Ridgefield and Bethel are both majority Republican, though Bethel by less. I'd make a guess that Ridgefield is a location for this event because a wealthy resident may happen to be a Sanders supporter. Also houses in Ridgefield are more isolated from each other so that going door to door sounds like a horribly unproductive way to spend time when you could be doing it somewhere like Norwalk. Both are beautiful towns that are worth visiting though if you have never seen them; they are certainly more attractive places than the more Democratic cities in the area.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:16 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,953,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheBern View Post
How is the city of New Haven? New Haven seems to get a lot of positive posts from the Connecticut board. I have never been to the city New Haven itself. I only went to New Haven once to pick up furniture from Ikea. Following some positive posts, I have researched New Haven and I think it will be a good stepping stone for me. Lots of computer science startups that pay well in New Haven and in my opinion, I believe New Haven would be a good place to start for 2-3 years before moving on to the Midwest or south. How would New Haven be for a 2-3 year stepping stone?

And how are Bethel and Ridgefield as towns? There are two Bernie Sanders events happening in those two towns. The event in Ridgefield involves calling people in Connecticut convincing people to vote for Bernie and going from house to house and an added perk will be pizza at the event. Details aside, would Ridgefield be a good place to go door to door and call undecided voters? And I am asking about Bethel because there is another volunteer event that is more complicated and more involved with the campaign. Details about the event aside, is Bethel a good town for the event?
Welcome to Connecticut !

New Haven is one of CT larger cities but still feel small the city is consider Cultural Capital of the state due to three national renowned theaters, five museums, a symphony orchestra. The also has galleries, festivals, monumental architecture and dozens of restaurants. New Haven is end of Metro North Line and hub for the train to Grand Central in NYC. Yale is located in the city of New Haven one of top universities also part of ivy league, nearby colleges such as University of New Haven, Southern, Quinnipiac University, Albertus Magnus College, Gateway. Broadway shopping in Downtown New Haven has some some shops and retail near Yale. Wooster Square and East Rock are popular neighborhoods near downtown. New Haven does some seedy areas with high crime like The Hill, Newhallville, Fair Haven, Dixwell/Whalley Ave/Edgewood/Grand Ave I would avoid those area.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Welcome to Connecticut !

New Haven is one of CT larger cities but still feel small the city is consider Cultural Capital of the state due to three national renowned theaters, five museums, a symphony orchestra. The also has galleries, festivals, monumental architecture and dozens of restaurants. New Haven is end of Metro North Line and hub for the train to Grand Central in NYC. Yale is located in the city of New Haven one of top universities also part of ivy league, nearby colleges such as University of New Haven, Southern, Quinnipiac University, Albertus Magnus College, Gateway. Broadway shopping in Downtown New Haven has some some shops and retail near Yale. Wooster Square and East Rock are popular neighborhoods near downtown. New Haven does some seedy areas with high crime like The Hill, Newhallville, Fair Haven, Dixwell/Whalley Ave/Edgewood/Grand Ave I would avoid those area.
Thank you for the info, but I am not set in stone on Connecticut yet nor is it going to happen in at least 4 years. I assume you have not read my posts or know me from my other posts, but no big deal.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:05 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,115,027 times
There is a startup hub being built in New Haven in 2017 (if all goes well)

District

New Haven is a great city with lots of potential, lower cost of living, and lots of culture and amenities for a small city. It's essentially a college town. I think it is a good option for certain startups that want to keep costs down and can benefit from the types of students that are coming out of the local area.

But your opportunity and pay will still be much less than cities like Boston, NYC, and SF where something like 87% of tech startups are born and all the money, talent, and networks lie.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:14 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

District

New Haven is a great city with lots of potential, lower cost of living, and lots of culture and amenities for a small city. It's essentially a college town. I think it is a good option for certain startups that want to keep costs down and can benefit from the types of students that are coming out of the local area.

But your opportunity and pay will still be much less than cities like Boston, NYC, and SF where something like 87% of tech startups are born and all the money, talent, and networks lie.
There is already a sizable startup district in New Haven ay Science Park. That is where Alexicon started and it is now a 1,000 company with a stunning new headquarters in New Haven. This was just approved by the city but certainly is welcomed opening up a new section of the city. Jay

Old 04-03-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blargrifth View Post
Ridgefield and Bethel are [URL="http://www.sots.ct.gov/sots/lib/sots/electionservices/registration_and_enrollment_stats/nov15re.pdf"]both majority Republican[/URL], though Bethel by less. I'd make a guess that Ridgefield is a location for this event because a wealthy resident may happen to be a Sanders supporter. Also houses in Ridgefield are more isolated from each other so that going door to door sounds like a horribly unproductive way to spend time when you could be doing it somewhere like Norwalk. Both are beautiful towns that are worth visiting though if you have never seen them; they are certainly more attractive places than the more Democratic cities in the area.
Bottom line: it would be a long walk to go door to door in Ridgefield?

Old 04-03-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

[url=http://server2.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/seryfpwgjjaw/srst/p1/]District[/url]

Actually I looked on indeed.com, and most of the jobs I am qualified in in Boston, NYC, and SF required a few years of experience with another computer science job in a stepping stone city such as New Haven.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
There is already a sizable startup district in New Haven ay Science Park. That is where Alexicon started and it is now a 1,000 company with a stunning new headquarters in New Haven. This was just approved by the city but certainly is welcomed opening up a new section of the city. Jay
That is all biotech though. The OP wants to work in software.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheBern View Post
Actually I looked on indeed.com, and most of the jobs I am qualified in in Boston, NYC, and SF required a few years of experience with another computer science job in a stepping stone city such as New Haven.
That makes zero sense. There's no such thing as a "stepping stone city".

I've worked in digital and startups for over a decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut