Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 12:18 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
There are known drug dealers near my area that have heavily tinted windows. Many cops I've talked too that are off duty tell me they stop cars with tinted windows as their excuse to pull them over but what they're really looking for are drugs and illegal weapons.
Pulling over cars with tinted windows in Bridgeport would be a full-time job for all cops there. I would think they have bigger fish to fry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 12:39 PM

1,504 posts, read 851,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
There are known drug dealers near my area that have heavily tinted windows. There's a cop I know that told tell me there are officers in his department that stop cars with tinted windows as their excuse to pull them over but what they're really looking for are drugs and illegal weapons. I bet nearly all cops do that because tinted windows can be a red flag.
It is not a comforting feeling when a car pulls up beside you with black glass. First thing I think of is that who is ever behind that curtain is up to something nefarious. Or some sort of little weasel attempting to look dangerous. I am sure that most cops get edgy when around vehicles with blackened out glass...It would leave you to believe that someone in the car might be armed. Much like the clowns who walk about at night with a hoodie hiding their identity.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:52 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,612,908 times
An officer I'm acquainted with tells me he personally doesn't care about tint but will use it as a justification to pull over suspicious cars. If he pulls over a car for an unrelated offense he can also throw the tint ticket if the driver is being a d-bag.

The tint got me pulled over once when I was younger. Four white guys in a new car driving around the ghetto of north Hartford. The cop probably was hoping for a sniff or sign of something illegal so he could search the car under reasonable cause.

Summary: I doubt 20% tint will get you pulled over unless you are a speeder or frequently draw attention from cops.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:06 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,605 times
Out of curiosity why do people get tinted windows (even just 20%) in Northern states? It's very popular where I grew up (LA) but generally only for 2 reasons: 1. You're sketchy 2. Protection from year round blazing sun-rays. Neither of which apply to your situation I assume...

Old 04-04-2016, 07:37 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Out of curiosity why do people get tinted windows (even just 20%) in Northern states? It's very popular where I grew up (LA) but generally only for 2 reasons: 1. You're sketchy 2. Protection from year round blazing sun-rays. Neither of which apply to your situation I assume...
For one, it provides much more protection against damage from the sun to your interior.
Glare is significantly reduced in your vehicle reducing the chances of being blinded.

Your car will be cooler in temperature and it (in my opinion) looks good on most vehicles!

Tints are such a petty thing for police to worry about. Like I said in the first post, I've had tints for over 6 years with no issues. I very much doubt the OP will have a problem, unless he is purposely driving like a maniac.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:18 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,589 times
Quote:
There are many reasons why I get my cars tinted...

1. Reduces the risk of being a victim to theft
2. Elimate / reduce glare
3. Reduce Interior fading
4. Visual Appeal

Old 04-05-2016, 06:44 AM

33 posts, read 33,432 times
I've never been given any trouble for mine. I bought my car when I was living in Florida and it seems that every car down there is sold with tints darker than the legal limit in Connecticut. Seems silly to have to remove the tint just because one moves to a different state.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:28 AM

720 posts, read 919,637 times
Quote:

Car looks nicer

Old 04-05-2016, 08:54 AM

132 posts, read 149,439 times
One of my cars has 20% on the sides and 5% on the rear with a black interior. Never had any issues.

I did it purely for looks, my daily doesn't have any tint and the rear seats are fading from sun damage.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:20 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
So long ago, I don't remember what % it was but I did more on the sides, less in back. Might of been 22/10? It was a custom made Mustang and I got pulled over for peeling out & smoking the tires but he mentioned the tint. He let me go for the tint, muffler, but ticketed me for no seatbelt. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut