Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 01:03 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,089,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I don't know that it is a fair to be comparing Fairfield County, a semi-suburb of New York City to Los Angeles which is one of the largest cities in the country. It would be a better comparison to compare Fairfield County to Orange County or Los Angeles to New York City. JMHO, Jay
Good point... Fairfield County is basically Orange County... very similar demographics..

Fairfield County has a much higher overall income than OC though..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 01:03 PM

678 posts, read 847,395 times
(Copy and Paste from the Economic Thread and edited slightly for detail)

I'm somebody who has lived in the San Fernando Valley before and is thinking of making a temporary jump to SoCal. Perhaps Orange County or even San Diego for a few years while renting cheap, saving money, and experiencing SoCal at an older age. I'd prefer a 2 bedroom apartment. Price point of $1,500 sits right with me, SeaDoo. I could even expand that to $1,650 if need be. All this is being compared to Danbury (and even Norwalk). I'm not extremely interested living right by the ocean. Hammonasset and eastward is enough for me once or twice a year, lol. As for specific places in OC, I've looked at Anaheim, Tustin, and Costa Mesa (more inwards because it's cheaper). Some others, too, but, I can't recall. I'll add more later, perhaps. San Diego I would have to say is Miramar. Unfortunately, I'm not extremely familiar with San Diego. Still need to learn about it some more. Los Angeles, I'm fine with the valley where my family lives but prefer to be around Cerritos or even Alhambra. From my understanding, rents are fairly affordable here, decent weather (not too hot like the inland area), fairly central to everywhere in the metro, and safe enough to live and commute a reasonable distance. All this against Danbury (You can throw Bethel in here) and Norwalk.

The other issue is employment and I'm sure I can find something but I don't know the state of affairs for teaching in SoCal vs Connecticut. I know both are similar in many ways, however. I prefer a more diverse environment regarding schools and Danbury and Norwalk fit that category for me. However, SoCal is all over the place and I'm just not familiar with it to make an informed decision. I did take a short look a while back in the Irvine/Anaheim area and didn't come up with much. Seems like the job market there is a bit dry from my half hour of looking.

Regarding other costs excluding housing, I know gas is more expensive there in SoCal. Groceries tend to be cheaper. Income tax is more in CA (Could be wrong here and is dependent on a couple factors), and sales tax is more in CA. Heating/Utilities is a good argument, however. Especially when you have electric based.

Anyways, that's enough of a ramble. One thing is for certain. Connecticut is nearly out of a drought while SoCal is still suffering and will suffer in the upcoming years at the least. California had more of a lush to it in the early 2000s compared to outside of Newtown where I live currently where everything looks New England picturesque.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:04 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Yep that's exactly why I came back to CT.. that and it was difficult to have a conversation with someone about anything other than material items. The lack of intellect there took me by surprise for a world class city..
I've met a lot of smart people but IMO they come off fairly ditzy/superficial compared to their counterparts in more serious places. Like look at UCLA... world class, very competitive institution but if you were to talk to your average student there you'd think it was a plan B for wannabe actors/models.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:06 PM

Future.... I don't think you're going to get a 2 bedroom in coastal CA for $1500 bucks. We were looking at 1 br places and found a bunch.. one had a loft but it was only big enough for a desk. What about inland places like Menifee, Murrieta? It's an hour from both LA and SD and you can literally get a brand new house for $300k... brand spanking new. You're still in SoCal but I wouldn't dare commute to SD or LA...that's like living in Old Saybrook commuting to NYC..

Old 04-06-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Future.... I don't think you're going to get a 2 bedroom in coastal CA for $1500 bucks. We were looking at 1 br places and found a bunch.. one had a loft but it was only big enough for a desk. What about inland places like Menifee, Murrieta? It's an hour from both LA and SD and you can literally get a brand new house for $300k... brand spanking new. You're still in SoCal but I wouldn't dare commute to SD or LA...that's like living in Old Saybrook commuting to NYC..
Hour is too generous to say for Los Angeles. I'm looking more like 1.5...minimum (Just checked Google Maps).

I had a cousin that lived out in Loma Linda. I'll have to ask her opinion about the Inland. I'm not too familiar with it when I lived in Los Angeles.

Definitely something to consider. And the other issue would be schools and teaching. Completely in the dark how their secondary education is.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:13 PM

And thanks for starting the thread, BiCoastalAnn. It's a topic I've thought about before in the past as well

Old 04-06-2016, 01:13 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,626 times
Teaching in LA......... well.... First, if you want diversity I absolutely think you will get that anywhere you go. Next question is how hard do you want to work. Some schools in LA I would consider the teachers akin to UN Peacekeepers. It's rough. One of my high school friends joined our high school because a riot broke out in her local high school on the 1st day of school in south central LA, requiring a total police lockdown. One person threw a desk at the principal and seriously injured him. Even in the valley some schools have gotten this bad. I've met some wonderful, "victim to their situation" kids in these schools too so not all bad apples of course but as a teacher you'd better be young, physically fit, and patient. You'd definitely need to research them.

Have you thought about Moorpark or Simi Valley? Those are also bargains for LA, being very very safe areas with goods schools and in close proximity to beach and mountains.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:25 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,181,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Okay guys, since it seems people still have a lot to say about this topic I've opened this thread. Let the comparisons begin.

First, I found this COL calculator that may add some fuel: Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

My POV: Los Angeles is so big it's difficult to compare to Fairfield County as metro areas. There are way more areas of extreme poverty in LA that drag down any average housing costs. LA as a whole I'd argue can have lower COL because, for low income people, you have WAY more options. Even in the valley alone, you got Reseda, Northridge, Canoga Park, North Hollywood, Van Nuys, Pacoima, North Hills - all very cheap places. However, if you're middle class or greater and looking for good schools and safety (defined by crime % statistics), the areas you're looking at are going to be on the whole equal or more expensive than comparable areas in FFC. Of course you have to factor in utility costs, car maintenance costs, taxes, proximity to business centers, etc. as well which may change the calculus depending on your personal situation.

Instead of looking at the entire metro area, these town-by-town comparisons are more accurate:

Malibu/Calabasas vs. Greenwich, Beverly Hills vs. Darien, Santa Monica vs. Westport, Woodland Hills vs. Ridgefield, Burbank vs. Stamford, and then there are some areas where there just isn't any CT comparison.... Compton, Skid Row area, etc. Maybe Bridgeport? But I don't think Bridgeport is nearly that bad....

But that's just me. Add your thoughts.
No biggie, it's all in good fun.
Around here Greenwich has been called the Beverly Hills of the East Coast. Rodeo Drive = Greenwich Ave.
I like this better;
Darien = Pacific Palisades
New Canaan = Brentwood
SM and Westport is a good one
Venice/Marina Del Ray/Manhattan Beach/Redondo = Stamford/Norwalk/Fairfield
Compton = Bridgeport

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 03:39 AM..

Old 04-06-2016, 05:32 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
Santa Barbara County vs Fairfield County be a better comparison

Old 04-06-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Santa Barbara County vs Fairfield County be a better comparison
Huh? Santa Barbara County is not commutable to a large city and it is mostly very rural outside of SB....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut