Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 05:19 PM

811 posts, read 1,738,567 times

Advertisements

Hoping that title is a great way to get people to check out a thread!

Howard Baldwin's Vision For XL Center In Hartford - Courant.com

I was (still am) a huuuge Whalers fan and would love to get them back. It's a project I don't mind putting tax dollars towards but I'm sure not everyone feels that way. Hoping we hear more of the details and hope this gets more corporate support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 06:09 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post

I was (still am) a huuuge Whalers fan and would love to get them back. It's a project I don't mind putting tax dollars towards but I'm sure not everyone feels that way. Hoping we hear more of the details and hope this gets more corporate support.
I popped over as a hockey fan. Unfortunately, as long as Gary Bettman is commissioner, he will continue to try to force the NHL down the throats of non-hockey markets, and rip teams from prime markets with rabid fans. The Jets are a start, but even then, the NHL was still trying to force whomever purchased the coyotes to keep them there, instead of moving them back to Canada.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:17 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
I popped over as a hockey fan. Unfortunately, as long as Gary Bettman is commissioner, he will continue to try to force the NHL down the throats of non-hockey markets, and rip teams from prime markets with rabid fans. The Jets are a start, but even then, the NHL was still trying to force whomever purchased the coyotes to keep them there, instead of moving them back to Canada.
The Coyotes situation was a little different as the potential owner wanted to move them to Hamilton, ON, a market smaller than Hartford and 40 miles from both Toronto and Buffalo. While it would make sense for the NHL to have two teams in or near Canada's largest metro, I think in blocking it they were trying to protect the Buffalo Sabres as Buffalo is one of the most hockey-crazed small markets in the US.

Yes, Bettman has been ridiculous obsessed with shoving hockey down the throats of the South (anyone remember when the LA Kings were the only team south of DC and St. Louis?) and has been somewhat disrespectful to the country for whom hockey is the national sport but I honestly think the Coyotes proposed to move to Winnipeg instead of Hamilton he would've at least considered it.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:26 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,183,879 times
I don't think Bettman has much of a choice. Most of the southern expansion teams are in trouble. Atlanta already failed, and the Stars and Panthers seem to be having ownership issues that might sink those franchises. The Islanders might not have an arena that won't eventually kill a fan.

The NHL tried to emulate the big boys, might be time for them to lower expectations to a more realistic and manageable point. Smaller arenas that can be filled (heck, packed) and perhaps less a focus on the population of a market and how many seats can actually get filled. The more "MLS" model if you will :P

Old 11-16-2011, 06:15 AM

633 posts, read 1,644,572 times
I'm all for it! Our capitol needs to be back on her feet again.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:34 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,652,853 times
Gary Bettman has been a disgrace to the league and it was very obvious back in the late 90s that he had no desire to keep the Whalers in Hartford due to the proximity to Boston and New York. He had the South and cartoony logos in his mind and that will come back to haunt him.

The ironic part was they had so much desire to move the Whalers out of Hartford and declare the Save The Whale campaign a failure, they failed to see what a success it was. The fans purchased 8,563 season ticket packages in fewer than 45 days and that was even with a 20% increase in ticket prices and removal of partial ticket packages. That was termed a failure while it took Edmonton much longer to sell the same amount of tickets yet that was a success. Only in Bettman & Karmanos's eyes.

I would love to see the Whalers back in Hartford. And maybe Karmanos could even return the banners that are not hanging in the RBC center back to the rightful franchise. I think Baldwin's vision is great but I wonder if they can make the Whalers work again with all the economic woes going on in the state currently. I have a feeling there would be some major outcry from people for a tax payer funded stadium. Personally, I would love to see a huge ESPN presence in Hartford as I think it could really make the city come to life again. I remember the 80s when the Whalers were winning and there was a energy in Hartford that has since died.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:26 AM

I think it's fine to do the new makeover on XL center for more recreational activities for other things for UConn students and other people... But not to be off topic, but I think a coliseum should be built across the river in East Hartford and getting rid of those crazy sprwaling car dealer parking lots! Add some few high to mid-rise mix of residental and other recreational (and parking garage) things surounding that the coliseum.

Here is a map that I think should be built

Attached Thumbnails
Whalers back in Hartford in 2017-map.png  

Last edited by Arm&Hammer; 11-16-2011 at 08:36 AM..

Old 11-16-2011, 11:58 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Building an arena in East Hartford would be crazy. First you would have to displace a hundred or so businesses that currently pay taxes and replace it with a poublically owned facilty that does not. Also there is nothing in the immediate area of that location to serve people attending the events there. Downtown Hartford has a number of bars and restaurants for patrons to go to before and after games. Finally the roadway network serving that area would not be able to accomodate a large influx of cars for events. Instead of this location, you might as well put it out at Rentchler Field where it will compliment something else. Jay

Old 11-16-2011, 02:09 PM

I know but everytime I go there that whole parking lot drives me crazy... LOL I'm sure the state can pay them to find somewhere else.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:37 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post

Well this got me excited! Thanks for posting!
Even though I will be a Montreal fan forever I would love for this to happen. Sweet...

I get DirecTV Center Ice package every year. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut