Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 10:59 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,188,915 times

Advertisements

New Haven Declares Public Health Emergency After "Never Before Seen" Heroin Overdose Epidemic

New Haven declares health emergency after tainted heroin causes 15 overdoses, 2 fatal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 12:42 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,661 times
I'm more concerned about the ones who live to continue stealing, robbing, assaulting and victimizing the local population than I am the junkies who off themselves through negligent use of street grade narcotics. I'd rather see more money go to law enforcement task forces targeting major dealer busts than to resupply overdose medicine.

But thats a decision for society to make, not me or anyone else. NH and to an extent all CT residents, need to figure out how they want to deal with this problem and how to prioritize resources. I obviously lean toward preserving the social fabric, not the life of any particular junkie.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
I'm more concerned about the ones who live to continue stealing, robbing, assaulting and victimizing the local population than I am the junkies who off themselves through negligent use of street grade narcotics. I'd rather see more money go to law enforcement task forces targeting major dealer busts than to resupply overdose medicine.

But thats a decision for society to make, not me or anyone else. NH and to an extent all CT residents, need to figure out how they want to deal with this problem and how to prioritize resources. I obviously lean toward preserving the social fabric, not the life of any particular junkie.

Get Dannel on it!

Old 06-26-2016, 01:44 PM

On a more serious note, Sig, on the face of it I don't disagree with you, but after having been down this rabbit hole of the "War on Drugs" and government involvement, I'm very, very cynical about that.

When I was a kid, the drug culture was getting cranked up, and what I found most helpful was education on the subject. I learned that heroin was forever, pretty much. I learned that there was no such thing as "I'll just try it once". It made a big impression on me. What made an even bigger impression was when I entered the working world and had a co-worker who was a junkie who went on a jag one day.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:30 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,140,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post

What a truly rotten thing to say. Those "junkies" are somebody's kid, father, mother, or loved one. I'm sure when addiction hits your family (as statistically it probably will), it will be "different." Just like some say it's different when their relatives are poor.

You should know that the fastest growing strata of addicts is "Mom's who had back surgery." I was subscribed Oxycotin after my colon resection. It's very powerful stuff and I can see why it's the beginning of many addictions.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I was subscribed Oxycotin after my colon resection.
Too much information.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:04 PM

And again, mlass, all kidding aside, I can see both sides of this.

Anyone know if there have been follow up stories on this? I can't locate any. Anyone know who or what gangs are bringing this stuff to New Haven's streets? Or are journalists now silent on the subject because of fear of retribution?

Old 06-26-2016, 06:16 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,704,457 times
Well don't worry CT is cutting services to Mental Health & Addiction, hospitals, social services, and emergency services so CT will be able to handle this crisis.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:09 PM

Let me guess: neither you nor mlass have had the experience of dealing with an addict on a long term basis.

Walk a mile or two in the shoes of those who have, and you might feel differently. The chaos that one addict can wreak on the lives of those around them can be brutal. And they don't give a stink whether or not they put your or anyone else's life at risk.

Last edited by JayCT; 06-27-2016 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: Removed deleted quote

Old 06-26-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Well don't worry CT is cutting services to Mental Health & Addiction, hospitals, social services, and emergency services so CT will be able to handle this crisis.
Well, that's a recipe for disaster, isn't it? Double whammy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut