Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 06:29 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Huh? What do we have all these immigration courts for? Of course illegal aliens are given due process. If a decision has been made re: drug dealers, they already had their due process. I really don't know what you're trying to say here.

I am with you-- All productive aliens should be able to stay. People like validictorians, for example. you seem to be contradicting yourself and greatly overestimating the number of drug dealers, etc, who are in the illegal population. They generally out of a need to avoid the criminal justice system commit fewer violent crimes than American minorities....

As far as washing my dishes on the cheap, I again have no idea what you're talking about.

We don't have a Canadian migrant problem... You're answer is a complete nonsequitir and makes as much sense as the rest of your post.

And, dude, no one tells me what to think. You know nothing about me.
We have immigration courts for immigrants. Illegal aliens are not the only kind of immigrants, in fact, they're legally (hehe) NOT immigrants.

Being valedictorian should not be an ad hoc qualifier for retroactive citizenship.That would mean we have to knowingly allow illegal immigrants into our schools at the cost of everyone else. That will only make the problem worse and more tense. There needs to be a process. If her family is using stolen identities, that's another issue, and should disqualify her and family from citizenship IMO. Do you know who needs CT high school valedictorians more than we do? Venezuela does. So does Brazil and Mexico and Columbia...

...and take note of the word "if", it was a question. One of those things that probe the thought process. Guess MSNBC hasn't brought up that hypothetical yet....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 09:57 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
I would have advised this young lady that she should have kept her undocumented status private. As we can see from some of the replies here it will only lead to judgement and trouble for her.

I also find it strange that coming out as undocumented seems to be some sort of status symbol in social media circles. Inviting trouble is not going to work out well most likely. I would assume a valedictorian is smart enough to know what the United States historically has done to trouble makers.

This thread seems to be a little more chilled out compared to the one in the P&OC forum about another undocumented valedictorian in Texas. I don't think there was one positive thing said in that thread.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:57 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,181,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I also find it strange that coming out as undocumented seems to be some sort of status symbol in social media circles.
Interesting.
Is "Undocumented" the new proper PC term now?
and "illegals" is a derogatory term?

Old 06-29-2016, 11:01 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Interesting.
Nothing new about it. Illegal alien has a derogatory connotation-- albeit it's the term that I use. Undocumented alien, I believe, is the "official" term used by those who track these kinds of things.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:04 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,181,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Nothing new about it. Illegal alien has a derogatory connotation-- albeit it's the term that I use. Undocumented alien, I believe, is the "official" term used by those who track these kinds of things.
ok, just asking, thanks
I'm not up to speed on social media

Old 06-29-2016, 01:02 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,186,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I would have advised this young lady that she should have kept her undocumented status private. As we can see from some of the replies here it will only lead to judgement and trouble for her.

I also find it strange that coming out as undocumented seems to be some sort of status symbol in social media circles. Inviting trouble is not going to work out well most likely. I would assume a valedictorian is smart enough to know what the United States historically has done to trouble makers.

This thread seems to be a little more chilled out compared to the one in the P&OC forum about another undocumented valedictorian in Texas. I don't think there was one positive thing said in that thread.
The only thing I judge this person for is the "coming out", as it signifies to me an arrogance, a waving of the middle finger in the faces of law abiding citizens and taxpayers who were more or less coerced into contributing to her "success", perhaps at the expense of their own families. That's what I object to.

But during a time when criminality, corruption and other transgressive behavior toward others seems to be amply rewarded, from Washington to Wall Street, to the state houses, to the halls of "learning", to "upvotes" on social media etc, she's obviously learned from examples set at the top. So why not sneer at decent people trying to obey the law and pay their taxes? Why not be proud that you got one over on them? It seems to be the thing to do, no?

It may surprise you to know that not as many resent illegal immigrants as you'd think. The MSM would have you think otherwise, so as to stir up controversy and attract eyeballs. Many people do understand that treaties such as NAFTA drove people out of their own countries in search of work elsewhere and even some of the most rabid anti-illegal immigration advocates don't blame the children because their parents brought them here. Actually, their ire is quietly reserved for their so-called "friends and neighbors" who are "torn", or "on the fence" or want to "stop the hate", and who seem to think they have a right to dictate, in the name of virtue signalling, that others should pay for illegal immigrants in the form of taxation, law enforcement, destruction of social capital and lowered quality of life, etc. All of which are not really offset by cheaper fruit and vegetables, or even home improvements.

They'll nod solemnly or keep silent, just to keep the social peace, but within themselves they take the measure of their so-called "friends and neighbors", so they know who they can really count on in a pinch, and who really deserves their help in a time of extreme trouble, a form of triage, so to speak. Just on a personal level, I prefer to support those who would support me. It's always good to know who they are.

As to "valedictorian", such terms have become more or less meaningless in this "everybody is a star, everyone gets a prize" culture. Presumably it still means something in Connecticut, but in other parts of the country, maybe not so much.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:34 PM

34,940 posts, read 56,958,583 times
I have let people go off topic to the OP but it is time to return to it. JayCT, Moderator

Old 06-29-2016, 06:02 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
The only thing I judge this person for is the "coming out", as it signifies to me an arrogance, a waving of the middle finger in the faces of law abiding citizens and taxpayers who were more or less coerced into contributing to her "success", perhaps at the expense of their own families. That's what I object to.

As to "valedictorian", such terms have become more or less meaningless in this "everybody is a star, everyone gets a prize" culture. Presumably it still means something in Connecticut, but in other parts of the country, maybe not so much.
Yes because earning the top GPA in any class (even ones as large as 350 students) is a crock.

And she's not giving the middle finger. Having issues with her being here is one thing; thinking it was easy-peezy to live her life as undocumented is ridiculous.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Interesting.

I don't know if you're trying to be a wise guy or not, but I will assume your not.

The term "alien" was dropped in the 90's by the USCIS and changed to "permanent resident". Before non citizens who were legally in the country were called "resident aliens" the document actually had the words "resident alien" printed on the top in bold letters.

I do not know why the words were changed, but "permanent resident" certainly sounds much better. Some people like to add "legal" but that word is not on the permanent resident cards (a.k.a. green cards).

Of course it sounds much better to yell and cry about illegal aliens instead of illegal residents or undocumented residents, or even undocumented migrants.
Illegal alien is much more powerful and derogatory sounding. Any one who pays attention to language and how it changes especially by the media shouldn't be surprised by this.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Yes because earning the top GPA in any class (even ones as large as 350 students) is a crock.

And she's not giving the middle finger. Having issues with her being here is one thing; thinking it was easy-peezy to live her life as undocumented is ridiculous.
I was wondering about that myself. Did this girl go to a special school in which every other student was dumb, which made her valedictorian by default ? Thinking it was easy for her otherwise is just silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut