Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 04:23 PM

33 posts, read 122,410 times

Advertisements

VERY long story short, DH and I were considering moving to NC, but are now exploring the possibility of relocating to Central CT (from LI, NY).

I am embarrassed to admit that I hardly know a thing about CT (except that it is beautiful and similar climate to LI). I used to travel to Norwalk a few years ago for business, but they were day trips.

Any info on affordable ($300K or less) housing and excellent job opportunity areas would be very much appreciated!!

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2006, 05:03 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,430,245 times
I am a realtor in Ct, but I serve the area about 20 miles north of Norwalk, the Danbury and Candlewood Lake region. The area has lots of major companies, including Cendant Mobility, Grolier and Boehringer Ingelheim. The area is 60 miles away from NYC, so it is possible to commute there. Other popular commuting locations include Norwalk, Stamford, White Plains and New Haven.

I have had clients that relocated to North Carolina and they have came back here a year or two later. The impression of North Carolina that I got from them is that traffic is horrible as are the schools, only big box and chain stroes and restaurants, and everything is in subdivisions with small yards. You would like this area because the amenties include a top 25 public golf course, 2 state parks, 2 lakes, an active downtown with lots of locally owned businesses, and a state university; and that is just in the regional center of Danbury.

This area the most job growth oppurtunities than the central part of the state. However, the area is not as affordable as the central part of the state. For about $300,000, you can get a 3 bedroom 1 bath 1950s cape in a water community on about 1/3rd of an acre. However, if you go about 15/20 minutes north of Danbury into New Milford, your dollar goes further and the prices are closer in line to those of Central CT. You can get a 4 bed, 2 bath 1500 square foot cape cod on 3/4rds of an acre.

I can be of great assiantance to you, feel free to PM me

Old 11-27-2006, 05:08 PM

439 posts, read 721,278 times
Job growth in CT is not strong, except in healthcare, and finance perhaps.
Science and math teachers are in strong demand as well.

The cheapest part of the state is east of the Connecticut river for buying a home- this would be in Tolland, Windham and northern New London counties.

In Tolland county a NEW home with 1800 square feet, garage, basement, 3 bedooms and 2 baths in a quiet area can be found with ease for less then 300 thousand.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:43 PM

33 posts, read 122,410 times
thank you so much for the replies!

my DH might have a job opportunity in Wallingford. he is willing to commute, but not more than an hour. we definitely want to spend no more than $300k on a house. we would like a nice sized property (minimum 1/4 of an acre) and min 3 beds and 2 baths. I have noticed many areas near Hartford that have plenty of choices in that price range, some new construction even. I'm just not sure of the traveling time to Wallingford.

any suggestions in and around that area would be once again, greatly appreciated!!

Old 11-27-2006, 08:24 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,430,245 times
NC Bound,
Wallingford is in a pretty ok place to commute to since it has 2 major highways that serve it, the Wilbur Cross (CT 15) and I-91. You would stant to stay toward the southern surburbs on Hartford because coming in from the northern towns would get you involved in the traffic going into downtown Hartford. I was went looking on the Multiple Listing Service searching for new construction with your requirements and the ones I saw the could be of interest fpr you and your DH were in Wolcott and the Bunker Hill section of Waterbury. If your DH gets the job in Wallingford, it would be a 30 to 40 minute commute.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:33 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,102 times
According to the Co-Op MLS, the largest Multiple Listing Service in Connecticut, here are some figures for Wallingford and surrounding towns:

Wallingford - 53 properties under $300,000
Cheshire - 27 properties
Southington - 66 properties
Middletown - 86 properties
Cromwell - 18 properties
North Haven - 36 properties

Old 11-29-2006, 07:30 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
I commute to the Wallingford area from east of the CT River. I like the area better than anything around Wallingford. The bonus is it also happens to be less expensive than the nicer towns around Wallingford (like Durham and Northford). You can definitely get over an acre of land and an average sized home for less than $300K. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:35 PM

254 posts, read 1,057,870 times
Good decision not to move to NC (especially if you have or will have kids) We moved from CT to Charlotte and regret it (we are actually moving out of here very soon after 2 years) We lived in Cheshire and loved it! I worked at Yale and my husband was at a couple of different places (milford and Southbury). I highly recommend Cheshire!!!

Old 12-10-2006, 10:20 PM

15 posts, read 129,032 times
I live in Charlotte but lived in Bristol for just over 3 years. I'll have to agree with the previous posters about the towns they recommended. All of those mentioned are very good choices.

If you are looking for comparisons of North Carolina vs. Connecticut...

Schools are indeed better up there, as is the hearty New England character. If you are coming from New York/Long Island, Connecticut would indeed be easier to adjust to 'culturally', not to mention that you would be a short ride away from 'home'.

On the flip side, you can get a much bigger house and more land in North Carolina for under $300,000 and our tax rates are less than half than most areas up there. Climate is a big plus too. It is not out of the question to have a few 60-70 degree days in the middle of January. Our primary and secondary education, on average, is not up to par with Connecticut, but there are some very high quality public schools and districts. I graduated from one down here and I think I came out all right. Our public university system is top notch, especially for the price. The Charlotte and Raleigh areas have plenty of newcomers, especially from New York.

Old Southern stereotypes do die hard here, but newcomers are very much accepted. Good luck on your final decision.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:09 PM

5 posts, read 17,473 times
Real estate prices and taxes in CT can't compete w/those in North Carolina. However, the public schools are probably better, and you'd be closer to family in LI. It's a difficult toss-up. However, when the kids are ready for college, New England has it all - something to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut