Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2016, 06:53 AM

190 posts, read 471,516 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Have some interest in purchasing a home near the water in Stamford, but it has come to my attention that this home is in the Flood Zone AE - meaning it has a 1% annual chance of flooding.

Anyone have any idea on what types of premiums on an annual basis I can expect to pay for a home like this?? Just trying to see if it is a complete deal breaker or not.

Thanks,
Tops
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 11:28 AM

633 posts, read 581,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tops1234 View Post
Hi all,

Have some interest in purchasing a home near the water in Stamford, but it has come to my attention that this home is in the Flood Zone AE - meaning it has a 1% annual chance of flooding.

Anyone have any idea on what types of premiums on an annual basis I can expect to pay for a home like this?? Just trying to see if it is a complete deal breaker or not.

Thanks,
Tops
AE is meaningless without the number. For example AE8 or AE9 which means once in a hundred years you can get either 8 or 9 feet of water above sea level called base flood elevation.

then you go to whatismyelevation.com web site and see what the elevation is.

If elevation is higher it is less to no flood insurance, if lower high flood insurance.

But two things will tell you and both are property certificate, the elevation cert and current policy.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:09 AM

625 posts, read 2,050,916 times
The flood insurance cost also depends on the amount of your mortgage.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyBergquist View Post
The flood insurance cost also depends on the amount of your mortgage.
Not really. Flood insurance maxes out at 250K. So if your mortgage is greater than 250K you have to have the max.

Also if home took a NY rising, Build it back or FEMA payout in past there are other mandatory flood requirements.

Costs around $180 a square foot to build a basic house. So even a 1,400 sf house needs full flood if you want to be protected.

Also contents is optional and has up to 100K coverage.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:26 PM

747 posts, read 1,012,656 times
tops 1234, the only way to definitively know exactly how much your premium will be in an ae zone is to get an elevation certificate. ask the agent for a good--and i mean really good--surveyor. there's a handful out there, by which i mean literally a handful, i.e., not many. the last thing in the world you want is a botched elevation survey.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:36 PM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Just call an insurance agent and give him the address- ask what is a flood policy on this house. Simple. That will give you an idea of whether you want to pursue anything further.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Just call an insurance agent and give him the address- ask what is a flood policy on this house. Simple. That will give you an idea of whether you want to pursue anything further.
does not help if hour is pre-firm, newly mapped or a host of other factors.

My house I pay $500 a year, if you call an agent they will tell you $2,8000. I can pass my policy to you. A new policy you need an EC and my house lowest floor is around three feet below BFE. But my grandfathered policy is not risk rated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: