Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 07:15 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times

Advertisements

Was anyone else crossing the Thames River yesterday, 11/21 when it was shut down BOTH WAYS? I was on my way to work, heading north on 95.

Right before the Waterford exit (the one with the malls) I was behind a pickup truck in the left lane. That fool pulled over into the right lane where a white sedan had to swerve to keep from being hit. The car went off the road, came back on the road sliding sideways then went back, plowing through the guard rail cable and into a light pole, which snapped. I almost pulled off to check but another car did so I followed the truck who exited right away and kept going. I was trying to get a tag number. Ended up losing him so I called 911, got transferred to the State Police and he basically said if there was no actual contact, then there's really nothing they can do to the guy.

The lesson I learned: If someone comes into your lane, DO NOT run off the road. Stand firm and take the hit. Hopefully the other car won't flip you over or launch you into a tree.

Also, if anyone knows the person in the white car, I was a witness. By the time I found my way back to the interstate I had a parking lot to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 07:41 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,315,579 times
This is why I have a dashcam. Too many crazy people on the roads that shouldn't have their license. I witnessed a similar incident myself on 84 a few years ago as a truck swerved into the left lane nearly clipping another car. That car almost drove off the road and ended up trying to steer back onto the highway too sharply which made him flip over. I saw 2-3 cars pull off the highway the assist the driver while I followed the truck. I called Troop C in Tolland and the state police sent out a guy to intercept him. Ends up he was drunk and had a warrant. The footage I sent in only made it worse for him and he deserve it.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:01 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,744,543 times
I'll NEVER figure out why so many people feel so invincible behind the wheel.

We lose as many people in auto accidents EVERY SINGLE MONTH as we did in the 9/11 attacks.

Imagine that.........all the people killed on 9/11, month after month on the road.

WHY do we take driving so lightly with that many deaths???

Old 11-22-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post

We lose as many people in auto accidents EVERY SINGLE MONTH as we did in the 9/11 attacks.

Imagine that.........all the people killed on 9/11, month after month on the road.

I think people are aware that an accident is possible but it's not what people are thinking about 24/7 when behind the wheel. Of the people that drive daily I bet whenever they make a risky or ballsy maneuver and get away with it, over time they'll become more comfortable and proceed to continue that action such as speeding, tailgating, etc. IMO When people get mad at other drivers they get mad at the car itself, not the person because it's easy to forget that another living human being is behind the wheel. You'd just see it as a machine or a "thing" that's in your way. Does that make sense?

Old 11-22-2016, 09:11 PM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post

The lesson I learned: If someone comes into your lane, DO NOT run off the road. Stand firm and take the hit. Hopefully the other car won't flip you over or launch you into a tree.
As someone who has done wheel to wheel racing, one of the things we were taught was that if contact is inevitable, lean slightly into THEM. That way they should lose control, not you.

Of course, on a road that can leave YOU with a ticket (or worse), so your method may work better.

Honestly, I guarantee you that the car that swerved did so while letting off the gas. If you swerve while keeping your foot on the gas, you are still driving the car. If you let off the gas, there is no more power going to the wheels and it's anyone's guess where things will go.

There is also the quick-lift-and gently gas again method, which will quickly transfer weight to the front wheels and then put power back to them. This works with front wheel drive cars, not RWD and I have no idea about 4WD or AWD.

But one has to do this instinctively, and driver training is sorely lacking especially in this day and age of people thinking a car will take care of everything for you.

Sorry you had to see that - I'm sure it was a horrifying moment for you!

Old 11-22-2016, 10:20 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,744,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
This is why I have a dashcam. Too many crazy people on the roads that shouldn't have their license. I witnessed a similar incident myself on 84 a few years ago as a truck swerved into the left lane nearly clipping another car. That car almost drove off the road and ended up trying to steer back onto the highway too sharply which made him flip over. I saw 2-3 cars pull off the highway the assist the driver while I followed the truck. I called Troop C in Tolland and the state police sent out a guy to intercept him. Ends up he was drunk and had a warrant. The footage I sent in only made it worse for him and he deserve it.
Did you ever find out how much prison time he received? Hopefully he'll be put away in the slammer for a good 5-10 yrs.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:51 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,325,568 times
Quote:

I think quite a number of people out there just don't care.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Did you ever find out how much prison time he received? Hopefully he'll be put away in the slammer for a good 5-10 yrs.
I believe more than that. Around 15 years. He was wanted in another state too for a hit and run involving a pedestrian. It was on the news and I'm trying to find the article but it was too long ago so it's difficult.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:35 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Was anyone else crossing the Thames River yesterday, 11/21 when it was shut down BOTH WAYS? I was on my way to work, heading north on 95.

Right before the Waterford exit (the one with the malls) I was behind a pickup truck in the left lane. That fool pulled over into the right lane where a white sedan had to swerve to keep from being hit. The car went off the road, came back on the road sliding sideways then went back, plowing through the guard rail cable and into a light pole, which snapped. I almost pulled off to check but another car did so I followed the truck who exited right away and kept going. I was trying to get a tag number. Ended up losing him so I called 911, got transferred to the State Police and he basically said if there was no actual contact, then there's really nothing they can do to the guy.

Also, if anyone knows the person in the white car, I was a witness. By the time I found my way back to the interstate I had a parking lot to deal with.
The dispatcher is not the one to make that call. If you got the vehicle's registration, I'd suggest you make a call to the primary officer to report what you saw. If validated, which usually only requires a statement by you, that vehicle's info will most definitely be included in the report as the vehicle at fault.

If you weren't able to obtain the registration, then there's little they can do. At the very least, you should've been put in contact with the responding officer so they can confirm the at fault party was a separate vehicle, and not the one who crashed.

Old 11-23-2016, 06:47 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,499,597 times
This is why I keep myself away from "groups" when driving. I'd rather be in the left lane away from these piles where trucks and cars end up grouped together, get yourself out of those areas and maintain an open area. If you come upon a group, manuever your way around/out of it safely. I don't mean duck and dodge but keep yourself alert and out of blind spots or potential hazard areas.

I won't claim that I'm a nice drive because I do tend to be a little fast but I do ensure I keep myself and my family out of these "danger zones".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: