Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 08:54 AM

1,572 posts, read 1,564,111 times

Advertisements

WOW! Paul LePage (R) of Maine only ranked 5th least popular? I'm amazed he's not ranked higher!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 10:28 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,428,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
You agree with rankings ? Should he placed at #1 on list ?

Connecticut's governor has remain his ranking as one of the least popular governors in the country

Malloy's disapproval rating was 70 percent. That's higher than the 64 percent it was earlier in the year.

https://morningconsult.com/governor-...eptember-2016/

My main question is how bad is Sam Brownback, who was also the only worst rated governor in the last survey? Is he really that much worse than Malloy?

Old 09-22-2016, 10:41 AM

752 posts, read 555,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
My main question is how bad is Sam Brownback, who was also the only worst rated governor in the last survey? Is he really that much worse than Malloy?
Yes, much.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/04/us...mary.html?_r=0

His own party has turned on him. They got tired of waiting for the trickle-down.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:54 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,615,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
Try to imagine Connecticut if Malloy cut taxes but the state still kept losing jobs. Then imagine CT facing another budget crisis and potentially raising taxes.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:05 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,501,008 times
Don't worry we have a great new busway.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:20 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,880,307 times
CT gov worse than Rick Scott he must be really really really really bad, but what makes him that bad?

Old 09-23-2016, 08:33 AM

34,952 posts, read 57,005,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Don't worry we have a great new busway.
Which is attracting more riders than it was projected to.

Remember, the busway was conceived and planned under the Rowland administration, designed under the Rell administration and begun building just after Malloy took office. Most of the money for it came from the Federal Transit Agency and it was for a lot more than just the busway itself (e.g. the Flatbush Avenue grade separation bridge). The only thing Malloy did was sign the approvals needed for the project to go to construction. This was at a time when the economy was at its worst so he really had little choice but to get the project going and create thousands of construction jobs.

Despite what some uninformed (or should I just say stupid) politicians claimed, the money for the busway could NOT be used for another project (specifically any highway projects). The funding sources come from different agencies in the US Transportation Department and could only be used for that specific project. The state had been in line for that funding for years and if it was refused, the money (and the resulting jobs) would have gone to another project in some other state.

Since the ridership is exceeding projections, I think it is time people accept the fact that CTfastrak (the busway) is a good thing and stop taking pot shots at it and the Governor's decision to proceed to build it. Jay

Old 09-23-2016, 09:53 AM

21,631 posts, read 31,237,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Yeah, according to numbers released by Malloy's administration. Going by their history of number fudging, I don't buy any of it.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:10 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,501,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

Remember, the busway was conceived and planned under the Rowland administration, designed under the Rell administration and begun building just after Malloy took office. Most of the money for it came from the Federal Transit Agency and it was for a lot more than just the busway itself (e.g. the Flatbush Avenue grade separation bridge). The only thing Malloy did was sign the approvals needed for the project to go to construction. This was at a time when the economy was at its worst so he really had little choice but to get the project going and create thousands of construction jobs.

Despite what some uninformed (or should I just say stupid) politicians claimed, the money for the busway could NOT be used for another project (specifically any highway projects). The funding sources come from different agencies in the US Transportation Department and could only be used for that specific project. The state had been in line for that funding for years and if it was refused, the money (and the resulting jobs) would have gone to another project in some other state.

Since the ridership is exceeding projections, I think it is time people accept the fact that CTfastrak (the busway) is a good thing and stop taking pot shots at it and the Governor's decision to proceed to build it. Jay
So long as they continue to count the drivers. My point is that despite who started it he moved forward with the build, and there is always ways for government to change the appropriation of funds. They do it everyday, and there were many other projects that could have been taken on either in rail or highway. I still think the busway could have been better suited as a light rail line.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:34 PM

34,952 posts, read 57,005,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
So long as they continue to count the drivers. My point is that despite who started it he moved forward with the build, and there is always ways for government to change the appropriation of funds. They do it everyday, and there were many other projects that could have been taken on either in rail or highway. I still think the busway could have been better suited as a light rail line.
Light rail was one of the options studied during the planning for the project. The cost would have been significantly more than the busway (it was something like double) and a lot more limiting in terms of passenger usage. Passengers would have to take buses to a light rail station and transfer to a rail car and then transfer again when they got to the end of the rail line. The busway does not require that necessarily. Light rail is better suited for higher density areas but that is another discussion. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut