Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2008, 08:10 AM

5 posts, read 12,523 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm currently living in Scarsdale, NY (working in NYC) and will be purchasing a house in Stratford within the next 3 months.

I'd like to get unfiltered opinions of Stratford from my future, fellow Connecticutians (yes, I had to Google the spelling).

Any insights, especially from people in/around Stratford would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 09:23 AM

34,956 posts, read 57,005,315 times
Welcome to Connecticut. Stratford is a very nice town with a lot to offer at a reasonable price for Fairfield County. I am sure you will like it there. Good luck, Jay

Old 02-25-2008, 12:45 PM

235 posts, read 783,701 times
Have you identified an area within Stratford? Neighborhoods vary a lot, with home/plot sizes being larger in the North, around Oronoque & Main St/Putney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergeek View Post
Hey all,

I'm currently living in Scarsdale, NY (working in NYC) and will be purchasing a house in Stratford within the next 3 months.

I'd like to get unfiltered opinions of Stratford from my future, fellow Connecticutians (yes, I had to Google the spelling).

Any insights, especially from people in/around Stratford would be much appreciated.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:54 PM

Default area

I don't want to get too detailed, but we're closing on a place in the Eli Whitney elementary school disrtict (which I hear is the best...).
Also, the Mill River Country Club is a block or two away.
Sound good?

Old 02-27-2008, 01:22 PM

34,956 posts, read 57,005,315 times
That does sound good. It is a good area and you should be happy there. Goodl luck, Jay

Old 02-28-2008, 07:05 AM

235 posts, read 783,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergeek View Post
I don't want to get too detailed, but we're closing on a place in the Eli Whitney elementary school disrtict (which I hear is the best...).
Also, the Mill River Country Club is a block or two away.
Sound good?
That's quite a good area. In case you're along Rte 110 traffic may pose some problems (mainly noise) during rush hour, but if the home is on one of the side roads its very peaceful. I've heard only good things about Eli Whitney, though that's not to say there aren't a couple more good elementary schools around (like Chapel Hill). You might also want to look at the local magnet school, Stratford Academy. Good luck.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:11 AM

Yup, it's a side road.
Thanks for all the input guys.
I look forward to fixing your computers in the future :P

Old 02-28-2008, 07:43 AM

367 posts, read 781,447 times
Hi and welcome! Although I didn't live there, I spent a lot of time in that part of Stratford growing up because my grandmother and some cousins lived on Huntington Road, a few blocks down from Eli Whitney school. My cousins were able to walk to school, which I thought was very cool (since I had to ride the bus where I lived).

Anyway, that part of Stratford is very nice, with a great neighborhood feel. We used to walk to Paradise Green to get ice cream or candy (the holy grail for kids). I have very fond memories of going to the Memorial Day and 4th of July parades in Stratford. I don't think it has changed drastically over the years, and still retains a nice charm.

There is some good shopping along Barnum Avenue, not too far from where you'll be.

Best of luck with your move ~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut