Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2008, 11:22 AM

1,153 posts, read 3,603,706 times

Advertisements

Was wondering about the Bloomfield area........thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 11:38 AM

34,946 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Bloomfield is an attractive small suburban commmunity north of Hartford. It has a nice but small downtown area and several large strip type shopping centers around town. There is a large suburban commercial/industrial area to the north and another to the south. It is also home to Cigna, a large insurance company that was originally Connecticut General Insurance. Their beautiful office campus, built in the early 60's on rolling farmland, is currently being redeveloped into a mixed use development of homes, apartments, offices and a golf course. Bloomfield has many nice well kept neighborhoods with modest to upscale suburban type homes. There are also a number of nice apartment and condo complexes.

In all Bloomfield is a nice town but there are few things you should know. Bloomfield is a diverse community that in recent years has seen an influx of urban problems spill over into it from neighboring Hartford.

Bloomfield school students do not perform well on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance tests, in fact their scores are among the lowest in the state. In a state like Connecticut where education is of the highest importance, this is not good. Home prices in Bloomfield suffer greatly because of this. You will see significant differences in the price of comparable homes between Bloomfield and neighboring West Hartford or Simsbury where the schools perform very well. I hope this helps. Jay

Old 02-28-2008, 12:10 PM

311 posts, read 1,824,574 times
Ditto what Jay said. Just to correct though that CIGNA now shares its campus with MetLife and MetLife will be consolidating most of their CT offices into the South Building in Bloomfield during 2008.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:12 PM

240 posts, read 537,501 times
Are there any decent private schools nearby? My wife and I are looking to buy a house, and we would consider a town like this if we could send our (unborn at this point) children to private schools.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:15 AM

gtmo - I'm sure there are, perhaps another member can provide this info since I am not sure what private schools there are near bloomfield. Similar to you, my wife and I purchased a great home for much less in a "less desirable" town and plan to send our children to catholic school when the time comes. Bloomfield has some great attributes - convenience to shopping, highways and restaurants as well as some areas still maintaining their rural charms. Good luck!

Old 03-02-2008, 10:02 AM

24 posts, read 51,069 times
It's OK. They actually just built some nicer condominium homes on a golf course. There are some "shadier areas" in the Blue Hills neighborhood near Hartford.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkfan22 View Post
It's OK. They actually just built some nicer condominium homes on a golf course. There are some "shadier areas" in the Blue Hills neighborhood near Hartford.
Thats a pretty limited view of Bloomfield. The condos referenced are nice, but i personally think the price point is a bit ridiculous for bloomfield. If you're going to pay that much for a condo - you might as well buy somewhere else where the schools would be better. The 'shadier areas' mentioned above are accurate, the rougher looking areas of bloomfield tend to border the hartford side along the blue hills ave area. However, neighborhoods bordering windsor, simsbury and west hartford are typical, mostly well-kept suburban neighborhoods. You will find areas of larger homes near the simsbury line and in other smaller pockets around bloomfield. Homes near the center of Bloomfiled are typically smaller capes, ranches and raised ranches/splits.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:04 PM

10 posts, read 51,667 times
Default Thumbs up for Bloomfield

Srib's suggestion is a good one. You'll get plenty of house and land for your money in Bloomfield. Most of Bloomfield is pretty rural and totally safe. It's the type of town where you could easily leave your door open and often don't see your neighbors unless you want to...you've got plenty of space. The schools aren't the best, but there are plenty of private schools available and within a quick commute. Try the West Hartford Catholic schools. Bloomfield is a great value for the money with a small town feel plus a good library and town services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srib View Post
gtmo - I'm sure there are, perhaps another member can provide this info since I am not sure what private schools there are near bloomfield. Similar to you, my wife and I purchased a great home for much less in a "less desirable" town and plan to send our children to catholic school when the time comes. Bloomfield has some great attributes - convenience to shopping, highways and restaurants as well as some areas still maintaining their rural charms. Good luck!

Old 04-17-2008, 03:26 PM

77 posts, read 325,532 times
They don't call it Bumbafield for nothing...

Old 04-17-2008, 03:32 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,436,100 times
Their are private schools in W Htfd and Simsbury/AVON which aren't too far from bloomfield, to answer your question
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut