Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 10:36 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times

Advertisements

Better be yankee fans leaving CT (jokes)

However, I think it may come to CT's interest that up in MA there is a plan to make Boston - Springfield electrified, high speed and as quick as 80 minutes which will undoubtedly help the economy in the pioneer valley, which includes CT. Hartford is in such close proximity to Springfield I think the whole area could benefit from this in the long run and facilitate some sort of population growth into CT. I dont think it is a crazy idea to imagine indirect CT growth from this.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 01-02-2020 at 11:44 PM..

Old 01-02-2020, 11:02 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,072 times
Stream of Consciousness: I have lived in three Sun Belt states, including my current state of residence. It is not uncommon to meet people from Connecticut living in states across the Sun Belt. As someone who is originally from Rhode Island and spent a significant amount of time in Connecticut during my childhood and adolescent years, I can immediately recognize a Connecticut accent. The people I meet from Connecticut in states outside of the Northeast region do not seem to pine nostalgic for the state in the same manner that transplants from Massachusetts, New York and Rhode Island do for their respective home states. I think the more neutral accent, more demure behavior and greater inclination towards Protestantism of the average person from Connecticut allows someone from the state to more easily blend in outside of the Northeast than people from neighboring states. The same logic applies to people from Vermont, western Massachusetts and northern New York. In other words (and this might only make sense to me), the average Connecticut persona is a little easier to unravel and dissipate when removed from the area than that of Long Island, New York City, New Jersey, Rhode Island, etc., all of which are more “hard-wired.”

Last edited by Bert_from_back_East; 01-02-2020 at 11:10 PM..

Old 01-03-2020, 06:51 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

However, I think it may come to CT's interest that up in MA there is a plan to make Boston - Springfield electrified, high speed and as quick as 80 minutes which will undoubtedly help the economy in the pioneer valley, which includes CT. Hartford is in such close proximity to Springfield I think the whole area could benefit from this in the long run and facilitate some sort of population growth into CT. I dont think it is a crazy idea to imagine indirect CT growth from this.

80 minute electrified rail from Springfield to Boston? I want some of what you're smoking. Boston is choking on congestion and the state has to spend billions addressing improving existing transportation infrastructure. There is zero room in the budget for this when people can't get to work because trains and subways derail.

Of course, Connecticut has the same problem except that it's worse because it's concentrated on one massively utilized line along Long Island Sound that can't be shut down to upgrade it. Massachusetts can limp with one of the commuter lines or subway lines interrupted with bus service to divert around construction projects. I don't see how you do that along Long Island Sound.

Old 01-03-2020, 07:12 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,321,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
What, you don’t like pineapple pizza??? (yuck).

I have family and friends in several sections across the state including Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Daytona, Jupiter, Deerfield, Fort Meyers, Sarasota, Bradenton, Orlando and a few others in between and one of the universal complaints they all have is the lack of a decent pizza. We were all together at a recent family event here and it was a major topic of discussion (sad I know). They were all heading to New Haven for a good pizza fix. I’m going to text the Jupiter group about Nick’s. Thanks. Jay

When my best friend moved down to Daytona, he ordered pizza from this place that does giant NY style slices when I came to visit one year, and it was so damn good! I couldn't believe I finally had some decent pizza to look forward to whenever I visit him. I sent him a text asking what the name of it is. I will follow up once he gets back to me.

Old 01-03-2020, 07:27 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,321,057 times
OK, back on topic. Honestly, I'm not surprised. Lamont and his obsession with tolls will be punch to the gut for us all. And some of these new taxes, including the old ones, are just ridiculous. Clean air tax? A Greenhouse tax? Why? Isn't that why we pay emissions? Park tax? Why am I paying a tax for all the parks in CT, especially if I'll never visit 10% of them? I hope someone's family is enjoying them.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:56 AM

570 posts, read 477,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry4Freedom View Post
I was simply just stating that I too am finding getting a job here hard and may have to contribute to the loss of CT's population due to employment.
As someone who manages IT recruiting strategies within banking, let me offer advice - don't do it as H1B has basically crushed IT wages in the area. You will get small assignments and short term contracts but living wage will be hard. I would say user experience / UI UX might be more marketable but web development is offshored, for vastly cheaper rates.

Old 01-03-2020, 09:29 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Closed for Moderator review. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut